Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Credit Cards
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I have been thinking of taking credit cards for a couple of years now but have in the past been frightened by the cost BUT have been made an offer by a company called first payment who claim to be one of the largest in the world of 27 + vat a month for terminal and 16p for debit and 1.19% for credit cards

This sounds a little too good to be true so has anyone else on here used them or does anyone else on here take cards and what deal have you got ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: Credit Cards
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm 

We have just signed up with a company whose name escapes me at the moment. The cost is £25 per month + vat with debit cards at 16p and credit cards at 1.2%

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm 

I use Adelante TaxiPay - 6.5% is taken off each transaction, which is then transferred to your bank account, a week later. Payment is taken through an app on your phone. Seems quite a lot, but it's suited for my needs (I'm a one-man operator), and I rarely take card payments anyway (my regular client pays by cheque, and other companies I sub-contract for pay by bank transfer). Haven't used it for over a year now, but it's there if and when I need it. No need to mess about with setting up a merchant account, terminal rentals and minimum transactions requirements. They probably do something for fleets as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:01 pm 

I've seen this company advertise in the LPHCA newsletter offering a creditcard machine for free, but the punter pays an extra 6.5%. Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 am 
If a Hackney Carriage picks up from the rank or a street hail, can he charge the 10% credit card processing fee if its not mentioned on his authorised fare chart?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am 

Gobby wrote:
If a Hackney Carriage picks up from the rank or a street hail, can he charge the 10% credit card processing fee if its not mentioned on his authorised fare chart?
No, no taxi can charge over the stated pricing structure on the tarriff sheet. It must state any credit card charges if applicable on the sheet if it were to be added.

BTW Cab:App offer a free credit card machine on their App. You do not even have to do any jobs, just reap the benifit of a no rental card machine. A fee to the customer of 3.?% is charged, beating most other card machine suppliers.
If you do not have the card percentage fee on your tarriff sheet you will have to adjust the fare to charge the customer the proper final price on the app. You lose something like 3p in the pound, but hey, you don't reject a hire and could get pulled from mid rank saving on down time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am 

grandad wrote:
We have just signed up with a company whose name escapes me at the moment. The cost is £25 per month + vat with debit cards at 16p and credit cards at 1.2%
You are giving away the equivalent of £25+ of free lifts just to have the machine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 pm 

Fannyadams wrote:
grandad wrote:
You are giving away the equivalent of £25+ of free lifts just to have the machine.

No we aren't. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:32 pm 

Like Chris, I use Adelante TaxiPay on the rare occasions I take a card payment. Works well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:01 pm 

grandad wrote:
Fannyadams wrote:
grandad wrote:

No we aren't. :wink:
So you don't pay £25 a month to rent the machine then! it's free?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm 

Fannyadams wrote:
Gobby wrote:
No, no taxi can charge over the stated pricing structure on the tarriff sheet. It must state any credit card charges if applicable on the sheet if it were to be added.

BTW Cab:App offer a free credit card machine on their App. You do not even have to do any jobs, just reap the benifit of a no rental card machine. A fee to the customer of 3.?% is charged, beating most other card machine suppliers.
If you do not have the card percentage fee on your tarriff sheet you will have to adjust the fare to charge the customer the proper final price on the app. You lose something like 3p in the pound, but hey, you don't reject a hire and could get pulled from mid rank saving on down time.

Or the cab at the front of the queue could take the punter to a cash point en route, and no surcharge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 pm 

Fannyadams wrote:

Yes the machine costs £25 per month but as most of the jobs that it is used for are airports or out of borough jobs, there is no problem with adding a surcharge. We wouldn't use it for £5.00 up the road jobs. It is also used for booking fees for our minibuses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:43 am 

grandad wrote:
Fannyadams wrote:

Yes the machine costs £25 per month but as most of the jobs that it is used for are airports or out of borough jobs, there is no problem with adding a surcharge. We wouldn't use it for £5.00 up the road jobs. It is also used for booking fees for our minibuses.

Jesus we get dullards wanting to pay the minimum fare of £3 on card.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm 

get mine through Santander,

2.9% fee and iirc it was £100 for the machine,
no monthly costs other than the above. payments in my business acc next day and seems to work rather well.

merchant side of things are handled by evalon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 am 

don't rent a machine install their app on your smart phone no charge to rent the terminal you only pay the 6.5% and you keep the remaining 3.5% as a tip simplies that's if you have a 10% surcharge in your area dead easy to use and it emails the receipt to your client if they want one