Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: TX4 or the Vito?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:02 am 

The latest . . .

S&B eventualy got the parts for the rear wheel steer in.

It had also developed a noise from the front which they claimed were the tracking rod ends.

The noise stopped.

The RWS worked fine, then after two solid days of rain it started to buzz as I was driving along, it didn't activate and still seems to work, but thats the final straw with it, the fuse is out and will remian out until it goes in Nov.

The front ends making a noise again when turning to the right, I dunno if its the suspension or this tracking rod again, but its going back to mercedes when I can get a slot.

Its looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to revert back to a TX4 come November on a lease agreement, as the Vitos just grief, and the TX4 fails at 100K.
The Nissan interests me, but theres no way I'm going to be a pioneer driver, its hard enough getting people to recognise the Vito as a Taxi after 5 years of licensing, never mind an NV200.

KPM's sales figures are going down, as others are just giving up on KPM ever doing anything about the RWS unit.

There's even a Vito Owners club being formed to represent owners who have gone out of warranty.

I think once the Nissan NV200 is launched, and provided no major faults come to light, I can see the Vito at £42k dropping way back to 3rd place within the next 2 years.

Sadly as it stands, it seems neither of our current two choices can be trusted . . . and still half the trade want these heaps of crap to remain our only choice by keeping the restrictive turning circle . . . cause ones an 'icon'. . . an iconic heap of chinese crap, and the other has a £5K RWS unit that is never used :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 am 

GBC wrote:
The latest . . .

It had also developed a noise from the front which they claimed were the tracking rod ends.

The noise stopped.

The RWS worked fine, then after two solid days of rain it started to buzz as I was driving along, it didn't activate and still seems to work, but thats the final straw with it, the fuse is out and will remian out until it goes in Nov.

The front ends making a noise again when turning to the right, I dunno if its the suspension or this tracking rod again, but its going back to mercedes when I can get a slot.

Its looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to revert back to a TX4 come November on a lease agreement, as the Vitos just grief, and the TX4 fails at 100K.
The Nissan interests me, but theres no way I'm going to be a pioneer driver, its hard enough getting people to recognise the Vito as a Taxi after 5 years of licensing, never mind an NV200.

KPM's sales figures are going down, as others are just giving up on KPM ever doing anything about the RWS unit.

There's even a Vito Owners club being formed to represent owners who have gone out of warranty.

I think once the Nissan NV200 is launched, and provided no major faults come to light, I can see the Vito at £42k dropping way back to 3rd place within the next 2 years.

Sadly as it stands, it seems neither of our current two choices can be trusted . . . and still half the trade want these heaps of crap to remain our only choice by keeping the restrictive turning circle . . . cause ones an 'icon'. . . an iconic heap of chinese crap, and the other has a £5K RWS unit that is never used :roll:

I think Geeley will sort out the problems mate with the TX, I wouldn't knock the Chinese, they've churned some decent motors out. I'd buy one of their family motors without hesitaion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 pm 

GBC wrote:
The latest . . .

The noise stopped.

Quote:

Quote:

Have you thought about contacting VOSA, regarding the RWS, if they are going that often and drivers are removing the fuse, they should not be on the road, if VOSA put a stop order on them TFL would be up the creek without a paddle, and they would have to immediately drop the TC from the COF, allowing you and everyone else to buy a cab of your own choice.

vsed@dft.gsi.gov.uk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 am 

yeah, was just thinking about doing that Skippy ......

'Hi VOSA'?

'GBC here, I was wondering if you could take my cab off the road for the RWS as I'd quite like to have no taxi and make myself unemployed . . . '
'Especialy right now when hundreds of cabs are coming off the road under the 15 year age limit . . '

I'll get straight onto it on Monday Skippy . . .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
GBC wrote:
The latest . . .

The noise stopped.

I think Geeley will sort out the problems mate with the TX, I wouldn't knock the Chinese, they've churned some decent motors out. I'd buy one of their family motors without hesitaion.

They already have the mitsuibishi available abroad, by making it available here it might just bring its reliability up.

Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 am 

GBC wrote:

'Hi VOSA'?

'GBC here, I was wondering if you could take my cab off the road for the RWS as I'd quite like to have no taxi and make myself unemployed . . . '
'Especialy right now when hundreds of cabs are coming off the road under the 15 year age limit . . '

Nah you numpty, what I meant if you read it properly was, you can stay on the road but without the RWS having to work, you could if you wish buy the Vito without it, saving a few groats in the process

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm 

Like they did twice with the TX4?

Allowed them to keep on working?

#-o

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm 

GBC wrote:

'Hi VOSA'?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Feck me, that would be akin to the Turkey voting for Christmas scene. but saying that I suspect that the morally correct thing is safety first

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 pm 

The noise from the front n/s wheel turned out to be (allegedly ) the top of the suspension where it's goes into the bodywork.

They're doing it on Wed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm 

Appparantly One80 who manufacture the RWS unit have been told in no uncertain terms to produce a completely new unit for the Euro 5 fleet.

Don't quite know where that leaves my Euro 4 model, but it's a start.

Several have been fitted with an electronic monitoring system to the rws to see what's causing the failures.

I have an idea already........They're [edited by admin]...........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 pm 

Not a lots been happening since I last posted [-o<

I had a loose ventilation window which I tightened, the rws buzzed at me once so I 'unplugged' it, and it's due it's third service tomorrow at 58k.

The air cons getting done as well just in case summer decides to stay . . .

I'm now thinking about a new one in the autumn, or I may wait to see how the Nissanngets on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:50 pm 

I did buy an auxiliary control mechanism from an engineer who sells them on eBay. His device plugs into the rws activators and allows you to manually recenter the wheels if the rws ever fails, which is far quicker and cheaper than calling merc 24.

£98.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:53 pm 

no buy nissan 1.6 engine no good it eat turbo an that go for anything that uses psa 1.6 tdi as well

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:57 pm 

Well they've yet to announce what engine will be fitted to the London Taxi model, so I'm watching that space.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:13 am 

Had its 3rd service a couple of weeks ago, its nearly done 60K now! :shock:

Things were too good to last though, and my old mate the MAF sensor unit decided to activate today. Luckily it was at home, but that meant a 3 hour wait for Merc 24. Not impressed.

Anyway, its getting booked in at Merc Toddington (1st visit there) for a new sensor unit next week. The mechanic wasn't impressed that S&B haven't bothered to fit a new one even after all the problems it created last year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next