MR T wrote:
you are a fool.....mr T.....

OK Mr T, work this one out :-s

RENT OR BUY IN BRIGHTON?

1. Buy in restricted

£50,000 for decent car and plate

2. Buy in unrestricted

£10,000 for decent car

Now are you really trying to say that rentals would be higher in 2 than in 1? #-o

It's like saying rentals for a brand new TXII in London are lower than for a 15-year-old Metro. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:23 pm 
MR T wrote:
You mr birdbrain have got your plate for nothing ,that did not take a lot of brains did it ?.

No just many years of waiting. :sad:

Post subject: are you mad yes and no
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:26 am 

You are mad for wanting to buy an s reg metro cab, demand something newer 03 or04 reg,
And you are definatly brain dead for paying £290 A WEEK RENT, if you could buy a plate you could buy a brand new tx2 or even a brand new metro (they are making them again) for about £100 per week
My grand father ownd and ran taxis in Plymouth in the 50s and 60s and my dad who still lives at Tavy House used to drive also, the names Ferguson, ask any of the old timers down there if they remember them.
My Grandfather had to sell because of ill helth and I wonder if it is the same owner that is riping you off that riped my grandad off.
you can let me know on here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:12 am 

How much is your rent, if you had your own plate? Its the difference BETWEEN the two figures that matters.

If they do go free issue on plates, then its radio work that will keep you going until the market settles down again.

Post subject: Re: Am I stupid....
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:04 pm 

Acesfullofkings wrote:
...to consider buying a HC in Plymouth?

Hi I've been renting a HC for over 6 months and have now come to the decision that I'm sick of paying £290 a week in rent (including office).

So I want to buy. I've been offered my cab (S reg Metro) for £25K. The council told me today that the survey has indicated no unmet demand, so it looks as if they are happy to keep the plates restricted for now. But then there's Mr Preece's court case coming up and hopefully finishing no later than August (or am I being a tad optimistic?!). Plus the council have indicated they will be reviewing the situation in 12 months once various new city centre developments have been completed.

Any advice/thoughts/views and opinions are greatfully received. I'm pretty sure that buying a cab and plate for £25K basically comes down to a financial gamble - am I missing anything here. Anyone else had experience of buying a plate in a restricted area then the council deregulating straight afterwards?

Many thanks for reading this your input is appreciated
Cheers

looking at what you are paying i would assume you are driving for that firm in st. budo? that money includes insurance too dont it?

as others have said wait a while. at least until the final results of the court battle come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:06 pm 

Sussex wrote:

If I was you, I would buy a PH and work for Taxifast, Steveo does alright, and he hardly works. :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:
it's not the quantity in the quality :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:42 pm 
Cgull wrote:
MR T wrote:
You mr birdbrain have got your plate for nothing ,that did not take a lot of brains did it ?.

No just many years of waiting. :sad:

Cgull..I take it that your plate has a value, what I want to know is if you decided to pack in taxing tomorrow would you give your plate back in for someone else ,or would you take the money and run...mrT ... 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:47 pm 
TDO wrote:
MR T wrote:
you are a fool.....mr T.....

OK Mr T, work this one out :-s

RENT OR BUY IN BRIGHTON?

1. Buy in restricted

£50,000 for decent car and plate

2. Buy in unrestricted

£10,000 for decent car

Now are you really trying to say that rentals would be higher in 2 than in 1? #-o

It's like saying rentals for a brand new TXII in London are lower than for a 15-year-old Metro. :-k[/quote

T.D.O..
How do you set the level of what rent is being charged in any area ...what formula do you use...mr T ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:04 pm 

Howzabout:

If x is the rent in an unrestricted area, and y is the rent in a restricted area, then:

(y-x) = Plate premium/.20

Or to put it another way the return on the plate is 20% per annum, so you just multiply the premium by 20% to get the extra rental.

But the 20% is just a notional figure, because it's difficult to pin down, and will vary.

For example, in the likes of Liverpool it's probably quite low, whereas if derestriction was likely then the figure would be quite high, which in turn would depress the premium.

By the way, if you are using the quotes, you don't have to change anything, just type your message underneath what's quoted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:42 pm 
TDO wrote:
Howzabout:

If x is the rent in an unrestricted area, and y is the rent in a restricted area, then:

(y-x) = Plate premium/.20

Or to put it another way the return on the plate is 20% per annum, so you just multiply the premium by 20% to get the extra rental.

But the 20% is just a notional figure, because it's difficult to pin down, and will vary.

For example, in the likes of Liverpool it's probably quite low, whereas if derestriction was likely then the figure would be quite high, which in turn would depress the premium.

By the way, if you are using the quotes, you don't have to change anything, just type your message underneath what's quoted.

Wrong try again...mrT..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:09 am 

What do you mean Mr T, your use of the 'quote' function? :lol:

As I said, just type in your message under the quote, you don't have to change anything relating to the quote itself. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:46 am 
MR T wrote:
Cgull..I take it that your plate has a value, what I want to know is if you decided to pack in taxing tomorrow would you give your plate back in for someone else ,or would you take the money and run...mrT ... 8) :lol:

yes it has a value. but mainly to me.
See i work in my taxi if igot rid of it then i would have work in someone elses.So i keep what i got for nothing to myself.
but i could sell and make a big profit of tens of thousands.
but all of us know in time deregulation will happen. might be 1 year 5 years 10 years but it will happen.
my point is i dont want a knife in my throat from the bloke ive done for 40 grand. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:12 am 

Cgull wrote:
my point is i dont want a knife in my throat from the bloke ive done for 40 grand. :sad:

Well that takes us back to the orginal poster. would Acesfullofkings be p**'ed off at paying £25K (effectily just for the plate and a free metroshed) only to discover later that it's next to worthless in a few month time? or would you be happy that you took the chance and are now paying less than you where for the rent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:20 pm 

I suppose that at least he's had a think about the issues involved, whereas many seem to claim that they've effectively been hoodwinked into buying a plate when numbers are subsequently derestricted.

Whether this is just being disingenuous or that they didn't do their homework properly is hard to tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:54 pm 

TDO wrote:
Whether this is just being disingenuous or that they didn't do their homework properly is hard to tell.

Maybe it's because they take more notice of those that are selling, than anyone else.

Or maybe it's just plain greed. :-k