Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:07 pm 

‘Risk to public’ warning over plans to relax licensing regulations for minicab drivers

RELAXING RULES about who can drive licensed minicabs would place the public at risk, councils are warning.

Legislation going through Parliament will make it “impossible” for councils to ensure cab drivers have been through the proper checks, according to the Local Government Association (LGA).

The LGA is also warning that dangerous minicab drivers could more easily challenge reviews of their licences following traffic offences. This is because they could more easily claim another driver was responsible.

The concerns centre on clauses in the Deregulation Bill which the association says would permit anyone to drive a licensed vehicle.

The LGA’s licensing spokesman, Tony Page, said: “Councils fought hard for the reinstatement of enhanced criminal records checks for taxi and private hire drivers and these irresponsible plans threaten to undermine that progress and remove this vital protection for passengers.”

The Yorkshire Post revealed in April last year that taxi drivers with criminal records for gun possession, violence and drugs offences were working in the region. Applicants with convictions for motoring offences including drink and dangerous driving have also been granted licences, figures released following a Freedom of Information (FOI) request showed.

Mr Page added: “The consequences for someone entering a vehicle marked for hire where the driver has not been properly licensed and vetted by the council can be severe. We should not increase the chances of that happening.”

A Department for Transport spokesman said: “The deregulation bill will not put taxi passengers at risk, and drivers will still have their backgrounds routinely checked.

“These measures are tried and tested in London and have made life easier for passengers as well as drivers and their families.”

source: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mai ... -1-6597441

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:56 pm 

Why did this mob not say anything from 1976 until 1996?

Why did this mob not oppose the London PH Act which allows the 'end of the world' scenario they outline?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:02 pm 

Quote:
“These measures are tried and tested in London and have made life easier for passengers as well as drivers and their families.”

so the 20 assaults per week in London alone is tried and tested then ffs

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

so the 20 assaults per week in London alone is tried and tested then ffs

I'm not convinced the rules that apply in London, but don't currently elsewhere, have much if any affect on those numbers.

Many of those attacks are by licensed drivers in licensed cars, and unlicensed drivers in unlicensed cars.

The question I ask is how bad was it outside of London pre 1996, and I'm not convinced it was a big problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:55 am 

Sussex wrote:
I'm not convinced the rules that apply in London, but don't currently elsewhere, have much if any affect on those numbers.

Many of those attacks are by licensed drivers in licensed cars, and unlicensed drivers in unlicensed cars.

The question I ask is how bad was it outside of London pre 1996, and I'm not convinced it was a big problem.

Will the unlicensed drivers be able to smoke in the vehicle when its off duty? how will it be enforced against people who aint licensed? (one must suspect the licensee will be made responsible - and the burden of proof will be upon them to prove they weren't smoking).

In some areas PH can use bus lanes - will unlicensed drivers be able to use these bus lanes? Indeed, in some areas licensed vehicles can turn right where non licensed vehicles cannot - will unlicensed drivers be able to do so.

Of course the biggest thing is the fact the government has deceived many people by saying it frees up families - the fact of the matter is anyone will be able to drive licensed PHV's.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:50 pm 

CaptainCab wrote:
Will the unlicensed drivers be able to smoke in the vehicle when its off duty? how will it be enforced against people who aint licensed? (one must suspect the licensee will be made responsible - and the burden of proof will be upon them to prove they weren't smoking).

I would imagine that the same rules would apply to phvs as does to any place of work and that is nobody can smoke whether it's their place of work or not

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 pm 

toots wrote:
CaptainCab wrote:

I would imagine that the same rules would apply to phvs as does to any place of work and that is nobody can smoke whether it's their place of work or not

That's the point - you don't know and neither do I - are the unlicensed drivers going to be made responsible or aware of licensing regulations? If I give a motorist a two fingered salute there is a chance they'll call my LA quoting my plate number - the complaint could lead to a warning or appearance - I appreciate that in order to clear my name I have to prove I wasn't driving the vehicle at the time, but the whole thing seems like such an ar*e about t*t way of doing things.

If a licensing officer walks up to a PH and the driver isn't licensed - what power does the officer have? Indeed, does the unlicensed driver know about licensing conditions etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:05 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
CaptainCab wrote:

That's the point - you don't know and neither do I - are the unlicensed drivers going to be made responsible or aware of licensing regulations? If I give a motorist a two fingered salute there is a chance they'll call my LA quoting my plate number - the complaint could lead to a warning or appearance - I appreciate that in order to clear my name I have to prove I wasn't driving the vehicle at the time, but the whole thing seems like such an ar*e about t*t way of doing things.

If a licensing officer walks up to a PH and the driver isn't licensed - what power does the officer have? Indeed, does the unlicensed driver know about licensing conditions etc.

The smoking thing is a red herring captain. A private hire vehicle is a place of work and as such smoking is not permitted. That is the law and nothing to do with licensing regulations. A shop is still a place of work even when it is closed and you can't smoke there either. A private hire vehicle is no different.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:57 pm 

grandad wrote:
The smoking thing is a red herring captain. A private hire vehicle is a place of work and as such smoking is not permitted. That is the law and nothing to do with licensing regulations. A shop is still a place of work even when it is closed and you can't smoke there either. A private hire vehicle is no different.

Is it a place of work even with an unlicensed driver?

If I smoke in a shop isn't it the shopkeeper that fines me, not the local authority?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:17 pm 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

Is it a place of work even with an unlicensed driver?

If I smoke in a shop isn't it the shopkeeper that fines me, not the local authority?

A shop keeper can't fine you. You know very well that it is the local authority that does the prosecution and that it is the courts that issue fines. :wink: A private hire vehicle is always a private hire vehicle so it is always a place of work regardless of who is entitled to drive it.