Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 pm 

Reforming the regulation of taxis and private hire vehicles

Taxis and private hire services, which include minicabs, are an essential link in the transport network of England and Wales, with passengers spending in excess of £2.5 billion a year on fares.

But the law that governs how the taxi and private hire trades operate is old, inconsistent and struggling to deal with internet-driven changes in passenger behaviour.

In a report published today, the Law Commission is recommending reforms that would update the law and make it clearer for those working in the taxi and private hire trades and their passengers.

The Commission’s report recognises the value to passenger choice of the two-tier system of private hire vehicles – which must be pre-booked, and taxis – which can use ranks or ply for immediate hire. It makes recommendations to retain and reinforce the distinction.

Passenger safety is at the forefront of the Commission’s reforms. It is recommending that standards be set nationally for public safety, accessibility and environmental impact. For the first time, passengers of taxis and private hire vehicles could confidently expect consistent levels of safety and quality wherever they travel. Under the reforms:

· all private hire vehicles, including stretch limos and other “novelty” vehicles, would be subject to the same standards, wherever they operate

· taxis would be subject to a comparable set of standards, which could be added to locally, allowing licensing authorities to choose to set higher standards where they want to, and

· local licensing authorities would have the power to inspect and, if necessary suspend, any vehicles working within their areas, wherever they are licensed.

These reforms would not impact on the famous black cabs in London, where standards of safety and accessibility are already high. But pedicabs in the capital will fall within taxi licensing for the first time, allowing Transport for London to set appropriate standards. Cars used for weddings and funerals, however, will continue to be exempt from regulation.

Among the measures designed to improve the accessibility of services for disabled people, the Commission is recommending a national requirement for taxi and private hire drivers to take disability awareness training. And local licensing authorities would be able to impose a duty on taxis to stop when they are hailed, bringing to an end the unacceptable practice of drivers passing by disabled people.

There would be stiffer penalties, too, for touting (actively soliciting customers), which poses a significant safety risk. Under the Commission’s reforms, licensing authorities would be given the power to impound any vehicles used in connection with touting.

Passengers are increasingly turning to the internet to book their taxi and private hire services. In a move to help the private hire trade respond, the Law Commission is recommending that operators should no longer be barred from accepting bookings or using drivers and vehicles from outside their licensing areas.

Licensing authorities should be able to continue to limit taxi numbers, provided they conduct a regular review of the service being provided. Restrictions on the numbers of taxis in some areas have led to inflated “plate values”. To protect the investment of existing drivers, the Commission recommends that the trade in licences should be allowed to continue. But, in areas where quantity restrictions are introduced for the first time, licenses should not be tradeable.

Nicholas Paines QC, the Law Commissioner leading on the project, says:

“The taxi and private hire trades are of enormous value to England and Wales. They provide a living for thousands of operators and drivers, and many more thousands of people depend on them to go about their daily lives.

“The reforms we are recommending will clarify the legal distinction between taxis and private hire services, and retain the valuable qualities of both. They will equip operators, drivers and their vehicles to meet the demands of a modern passenger-service trade, while making passenger safety and accessibility paramount.”

Notes for editors

The Law Commission is a non-political independent body, set up by Parliament in 1965 to keep all the law of England and Wales under review, and to recommend reform where it is needed.
We estimate that £2.72 billion was spent by UK households on taxi journeys in 2012 based on ONS estimates of household expenditure on transport services (which covers transport by bus, coach, taxi and hire car with driver) of £7.78 billion for the same period. See http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and- ... e-id=07.CN
For more details on this project, visit http://www.lawcom.gov.uk
For all press queries please contact:
Phil Hodgson, Head of External Relations: 020 3334 3305
Jackie Samuel: 020 3334 3648
Email: communications@lawcommission.gsi.gov.uk

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:22 pm 

You are going to get TDO into trouble as it's embargoed till midnight plus 1. 8-[

But there will be a prize for the first one to put up the report because I think TDO admin has got a busy day tomorrow. #-o

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:35 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
Passengers are increasingly turning to the internet to book their taxi and private hire services. In a move to help the private hire trade respond, the Law Commission is recommending that operators should no longer be barred from accepting bookings or using drivers and vehicles from outside their licensing areas.

In other words they are supporting the DfT in respect of the cross-border issue in the Dereg Bill.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
mancityfan wrote:

In other words they are supporting the DfT in respect of the cross-border issue in the Dereg Bill.

Yes, but they aren't really because the dimwits at the DfT didn't include this gem;

Quote:
local licensing authorities would have the power to inspect and, if necessary suspend, any vehicles working within their areas, wherever they are licensed.

Now that I like :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 pm 

I just hope the national standards are above average. I think the taxis are going to be beaten with their own sticks re the restricted numbers, I feel it's opening flood gates for private hire to take over areas

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:36 pm 

toots wrote:
I just hope the national standards are above average. I think the taxis are going to be beaten with their own sticks re the restricted numbers, I feel it's opening flood gates for private hire to take over areas

taxis don't restrict numbers - councils do - and they can only do so with a survey.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:37 pm 

Quote:
Licensing authorities should be able to continue to limit taxi numbers, provided they conduct a regular review of the service being provided. Restrictions on the numbers of taxis in some areas have led to inflated “plate values”. To protect the investment of existing drivers, the Commission recommends that the trade in licences should be allowed to continue. But, in areas where quantity restrictions are introduced for the first time, licenses should not be tradeable.

Welcome to the £150k plate and even more expensive cab rentals

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 am 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

taxis don't restrict numbers - councils do - and they can only do so with a survey.

I think you'll find it's usually the drivers whining that convinces the councils to act and then they whine because there's private hire all over the place. I think there'll be even more whining once the private hire can go anywhere they please and work for whoever they want, albeit it'll suit me fine I won't have to convince drivers to go through the tunnel of doom I'll be able to use drivers licenced over there I still don't think it's a good idea

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 am 

toots wrote:

I think you'll find it's usually the drivers whining that convinces the councils to act and then they whine because there's private hire all over the place. I think there'll be even more whining once the private hire can go anywhere they please and work for whoever they want, albeit it'll suit me fine I won't have to convince drivers to go through the tunnel of doom I'll be able to use drivers licenced over there I still don't think it's a good idea

your cynical you is :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:45 am 

http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/doc ... rvices.pdf

http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/doc ... ummary.pdf

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:01 pm 

[/quote]

Could someone please explain these 2 to me please?
Milton Keynes just recently just re restricted after 12 hours of no limit would Milton Keynes plates be non traceable aswell?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:30 pm 

cab 44 wrote:

Milton Keynes just recently just re restricted after 12 hours of no limit would Milton Keynes plates be non traceable aswell?
Thanks[/quote]
This isn't law yet so it doesn't apply at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:26 pm 

cab 44 wrote:

Thanks

Most likely the answer would be "yes" and in fact the Law Commission have suggested a requirement to consider restrictions every 3 years.

Para 11.108 "Given that plate premiums have been permitted to arise, it would we think be unfair for a shift in legal policy to destroy them, causing substantial loss to a class of individuals who acted in accordance with the law."

Translation; if the Government de-restricts en-masse now, it will probably have to pay compensation

11.109 "76 Whilst incumbents have always faced the risk of their plate values disappearing as a result of derestriction, this is a different matter from a shift in policy which specifically destroyed plate values whilst preserving quantity restrictions."

Translation; "Leave it to Councils to de-restrict because this will be a local matter considered on a case by case basis after "consultation" and compensation won't have to be paid

Have you ever met anyone other than a cab driver or owner who is in favour of plate values? All the licencing officers I know certainly aren't and Councillors think they are giving you money out of their own pocket, they all like control though.
This is the perfect fix for them; de-restrict once, put up with the disruption for 12 months and re-restrict; No more plate values and control of numbers in one foul swoop!

Bud Fox: It's two minutes to closing, Gordon. What do you want to do? Decide.
Gordon Gekko: [calms down] Dump it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

silvercab wrote:

Most likely the answer would be "yes" and in fact the Law Commission have suggested a requirement to consider restrictions every 3 years.

Para 11.108 "Given that plate premiums have been permitted to arise, it would we think be unfair for a shift in legal policy to destroy them, causing substantial loss to a class of individuals who acted in accordance with the law."

Translation; if the Government de-restricts en-masse now, it will probably have to pay compensation

11.109 "76 Whilst incumbents have always faced the risk of their plate values disappearing as a result of derestriction, this is a different matter from a shift in policy which specifically destroyed plate values whilst preserving quantity restrictions."

Translation; "Leave it to Councils to de-restrict because this will be a local matter considered on a case by case basis after "consultation" and compensation won't have to be paid

Have you ever met anyone other than a cab driver or owner who is in favour of plate values? All the licencing officers I know certainly aren't and Councillors think they are giving you money out of their own pocket, they all like control though.
This is the perfect fix for them; de-restrict once, put up with the disruption for 12 months and re-restrict; No more plate values and control of numbers in one foul swoop!

Bud Fox: It's two minutes to closing, Gordon. What do you want to do? Decide.
Gordon Gekko: [calms down] Dump it.

that's a fair assessment =D>

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:13 pm 

cab 44 wrote:
Thanks

Only 12 hours? :shock: