Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:37 am 

Coventry MP says taxi reforms could put passengers at risk

Jim [edited by admin] fighting reforms including ending annual checks on drivers’ licences

Coventry MP Jim [edited by admin] is fighting changes to taxi and private hire cab laws – amid concerns they could put passengers at risk.

The reforms are included in the Government’s Deregulation Bill, which will be voted on by MPs on June 23.

The Government’s proposed reforms to the taxi and minicab trade will enable people without a minicab license drive one when it is “off duty”, end annual checks on drivers’ licences, and allow minicab operators to subcontract bookings to firms in other areas.

Campaigners, industry bodies and unions are among those who have warned the proposed changes could have “severe safety implications”.

Coventry South MP Mr [edited by admin] said: “At present minicabs in Coventry are driven by people who have undergone criminal, medical and background checks with Coventry City Council.

"But the Government are threatening to remove these safeguards, and let anyone drive an off duty minicab.

“I know many people in my constituency, particularly women and those with impaired mobility, rely on taxis and minicabs to get home safely.

"I’m worried the plans will increase the number of rogue drivers on the city’s roads. I’m calling on the Government to abandon these proposals and put passenger safety first.”

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust, which campaigns for better personal safety, has also raised concerns that enabling anyone to drive a licensed minicab will provide “greater opportunity for those intent on preying on women”, while the Local Government Association has also called for the plans to be scrapped.

Shadow roads minister Richard Burden added: “The Government’s changes to taxi and minicab law are poorly drafted, badly consulted on and could result in real risks to safety.”

source: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... ms-7278097

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am 

Don't know how the poor chaps surname needed editing ffs :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:25 am 

captain cab wrote:
Don't know how the poor chaps surname needed editing ffs :lol:

If its this Guy " Jim Cunningham then I can see in part why it's been edited, though it's just a bit tongue in cheek. #-o