Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:05 pm 

Labour sounds warning over taxi licensing reforms

Government plans to simplify taxi and minicab licensing laws pose a risk to public safety, Labour has argued, as it sought to block the changes on 23 June 2014.

Under plans embodied in the Deregulation Bill, taxi drivers would be able to lend their vehicles to family members when they are off duty, to "lift the burden" of having to run a second family car.

Shadow Transport Minister Gordon Marsden said the "ill-thought through" and "reckless" reforms could put women and vulnerable passengers at risk of rogue drivers.

"The sad truth is that rapes and sexual assaults committed by people purporting to be private hire drivers are not uncommon and so these changes to the law are quite rightly an issue of public concern," he said.

But government spokesman Tom Brake insisted there were safeguards in place and said the changes offered "significant benefits" for the trade, and for passengers.

The disagreement came as Labour put forward amendments to remove the relevant clauses from the legislation.

Mr Marsden said there was widespread opposition to the plans, and warned they risked damaging the legitimacy of the industry, and would be difficult to enforce.

Mr Brake disagreed: "We consider that the taxi and private hire vehicle clauses will have significant benefits, both in terms of cost savings for the trade and convenience for passengers, and we are determined to see those benefits realised."

The Lib Dem deputy leader of the House told MPs the law will continue to prohibit people without a private hire vehicle licence from acting as a driver.

The proposed reforms will also see annual checks on drivers' licences replaced with reviews every three years, and minicab operators will be allowed to subcontract bookings to firms in other areas.

Responding to concerns about the public safety implications of both of these changes, Mr Brake said the measures already apply in London and stressed that bookings could only be passed on to other licensed operators.

Conservative John Redwood was on the side of the government, and welcomed the "perfectly reasonable and very modest" proposal which he said would help cash-strapped families.

Caroline Lucas, the Green Party's former leader, joined Labour in opposing the reforms and accusing the government of failing to consult properly on the changes, which have pre-empted a review of taxi regulations by the Law Commission.

"We've had nothing close to meaningful consultation and a failure on the government's part to even discuss these changes with councils before putting forward their clauses," she complained.

Labour's bid to block changes to the taxi licensing regime was subject to a vote, and was defeated the attempt by 285 to 206, majority 79.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hous ... s-27980959

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 pm 

Any chance of some perspective here? How many rapes and sexual assaults are carried out in the UK each year? What percentage of these rapes and sexual assaults are carried out by people purporting to be licensed drivers when they are not?if someone wants to rape or sexually assault someone using a car that looks like a private hire vehicle they only have to get a magnetic sign made themselves and put it on any old car. you can buy a kit for this over the counter.
Some people need to get a grip.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:05 pm 

grandad wrote:
Any chance of some perspective here? How many rapes and sexual assaults are carried out in the UK each year? What percentage of these rapes and sexual assaults are carried out by people purporting to be licensed drivers when they are not?if someone wants to rape or sexually assault someone using a car that looks like a private hire vehicle they only have to get a magnetic sign made themselves and put it on any old car. you can buy a kit for this over the counter.

one is one too many :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

yes it is but like I say, how about some figures to back up the scaremongering.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 pm 

grandad wrote:
captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

yes it is but like I say, how about some figures to back up the scaremongering.

figures have been published - I have them on a xcel file which I cant post on here :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:50 pm 

Grandad wrote:
Some people need to get a grip

Really? Well having seen the figures already I don't think getting a grip is going to solve the problem, nor do I think making it easier to pose as a licensed driver is the way forward either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:00 am 

toots wrote:
Grandad wrote:

Really? Well having seen the figures already I don't think getting a grip is going to solve the problem, nor do I think making it easier to pose as a licensed driver is the way forward either.

It is already easy for anyone to pose as a driver.
Do you not want any of the benefits from the deregulation bill at all? Such as 3 year drivers badges?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 am 

grandad wrote:
Do you not want any of the benefits from the deregulation bill at all? Such as 3 year drivers badges?

If you believe councils will have the necessary checks and balances in place to stop the riff raff? then you have more faith in them than me my friend. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 am 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

If you believe councils will have the necessary checks and balances in place to stop the riff raff? then you have more faith in them than me my friend. :sad:

From my own point of view, I have had my badge for the last 14 years. Apart from a couple of speed camera convictions I have not had any other changes to my "record" Why should I have to have an annual badge where a 3 year badge would be cheaper. Previously the council only checked the CRB every 3 years, they only checked my medical condition every 3 years and they only checked my drivers license with the DVLA every 3 years. So why only a 1 year badge? I have signed up to the automatic updates for my DBS and the council can check my license at any time. So tell me why I and thousands of others like me should have to keep paying for an annual badge?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:14 am 

grandad wrote:
captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

From my own point of view, I have had my badge for the last 14 years. Apart from a couple of speed camera convictions I have not had any other changes to my "record" Why should I have to have an annual badge where a 3 year badge would be cheaper. Previously the council only checked the CRB every 3 years, they only checked my medical condition every 3 years and they only checked my drivers license with the DVLA every 3 years. So why only a 1 year badge? I have signed up to the automatic updates for my DBS and the council can check my license at any time. So tell me why I and thousands of others like me should have to keep paying for an annual badge?

I understand what you're saying and the body I am a member of agree with you - however a LA can already issue a badge for a longer period in my view its down to locals to decide.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:41 am 

captain cab wrote:

I understand what you're saying and the body I am a member of agree with you - however a LA can already issue a badge for a longer period in my view its down to locals to decide.

Many won't issue a longer badge and many that do charge more than they should for doing so. because of this I agree that legislation should be brought in to make it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:17 am 

The point made about the benefits of the limited deregulation could be compared to the benefits or disbenefits of EU membership!

There was a case the other day involving the EU court which benefitted many people; there is likely to be another matter involving s19 drivers in the near future which will put a stop to the s19 scam, but out of the EU we'd be shafted for years.

Change has to happen and a lot of the law from 1800 and before are simply outdated and unfit for purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:26 pm 

grandad wrote:
toots wrote:
Grandad wrote:

It is already easy for anyone to pose as a driver.

I'm not bothered about whether they give me a badge for one year or three years, it's only £42.50 it doesn't break the bank. I guess being able to subcontract work would help a little but to be honest the final cost of subcontracting is going to bigger ph companies imo and I'm not sure the benefits from being able to do that myself is worth it and I definately don't like the idea of anybody else other than a licensed driver being able to drive a licensed vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:26 pm 

toots wrote:

I'm not bothered about whether they give me a badge for one year or three years, it's only £42.50 it doesn't break the bank. I guess being able to subcontract work would help a little but to be honest the final cost of subcontracting is going to bigger ph companies imo and I'm not sure the benefits from being able to do that myself is worth it and I definately don't like the idea of anybody else other than a licensed driver being able to drive a licensed vehicle

At £42.50 I can see why you aren't bothered.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:44 pm 

grandad wrote:
toots wrote:

At £42.50 I can see why you aren't bothered.

Well perhaps you should campaign for similar costs :wink: