Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:52 am 

Taxi deregulation bill will put people at risk, Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner Sir Graham Bright warns

Cambridgeshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner fears the proposed taxi deregulation bill could lead to more people being raped, sexually assaulted or even murdered after a night out.

The bill, which is currently going through parliament, would allow anyone to drive a licensed vehicle when it is not being used for work purposes, licensing authorities to renew licences less frequently and taxi and minicab firms to subcontract to other firms.

Sir Graham Bright is part of a cross-party group of police and crime commissioners who have written to Minister Without Portfolio Ken Clarke to urge him to amend certain measures in the bill or instead introduce a dedicated taxi bill.

Mr Bright has also written to Cambridgeshire’s MPs to ask for their support.

He said: “As elected representatives of the force area, our Members of Parliament are in a good position to be able to help me.

“I have asked if there is any way they can either get the bill amended, or urge the introduction of a dedicated taxi bill, that would reflect not only my concerns, but those of other police and crime commissioners, licensing officials, police, the taxi trade and organisations that work with victims of rape and sexual assault.

“I understand the need to address the issues that the deregulation bill is aimed at, but my concern is ensuring that there are safeguards in place to protect the public from becoming victims of crime.

I cannot and will not support something that could place Cambridgeshire members of public, including those who are already vulnerable, at risk. I hope our MPs feel able to take up this important issue in Parliament.”

source: http://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/t ... _1_3680349

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

Same old, same old.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:18 am 

grandad wrote:
Same old, same old.

Perhaps that's because they share the same concerns as others :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:17 am 

toots wrote:
grandad wrote:
Same old, same old.

Perhaps that's because they share the same concerns as others :wink:

They have been hoodwinked by liars, if they were took the whole truth they wouldn't give a stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:21 am 

Sussex wrote:
They have been hoodwinked by liars, if they were took the whole truth they wouldn't give a stuff.

that's just plain wrong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

that's just plain wrong

My spelling yes #-o , but not my sentiments.

Are London hackneys more dangerous than any other hackney outside of London?

Has there been a huge increase in unlicensed drivers doing nasty stuff in licensed PH vehicles in London? Or is it the same as everywhere else?

Has the London PH trade abused the right to re-book work to licensed companies outside of London?

The concerns the trade have with the Dereg Bill isn't about safety, it's about competition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

that's just plain wrong

My spelling yes #-o , but not my sentiments.

Has there been a huge increase in unlicensed drivers doing nasty stuff in licensed PH vehicles in London? Or is it the same as everywhere else?

Has the London PH trade abused the right to re-book work to licensed companies outside of London?

The concerns the trade have with the Dereg Bill isn't about safety, it's about competition.

my concerns are about safety :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm 

Lesley Hore-Belisha had a safety beacon named after him, Minister of Transport in 1934.

Baroness Kramer Minister of State for Transport in 2014, could provide the name for a Modus Operandi of Rape. The Kramer Rape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:

It's hard to say seeing as there is little chance of catching them even if it was reported :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:37 am 

Quote:

Depends where you hire them - some licensing regimes (and this will be repeated below) allow taxis to operate as PH many miles away from there area of license - it is fair to suggest these hackneys are never subject to council spot checks and they may never see their area of license - they may even send their MOT to the ir licensing department by post.

Quote:

The London Act has always allowed non licensed drivers to drive PH - but there has been an increase - a 14% increase between 2008 and 2010.

Quote:

I don't think the problem is with the London PH trade - its with the provincial PH trade who have sourced HC's from the likes of Rossendale and Gedling and Berwick - the issue is likely to get worse because the conditions of license towards PH are invariably lower than HC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 am 

Is you concern with genuine licensed vehicles and drivers doing what the can do now regarding work? A licensed ph can already work anywhere providing the job comes through the base operator. The difference will be that the job will be able to come from another operator and not the customer. If the customer is informed regarding who will be doing the job before they get in the car, is it any less safe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 am 

The licensing of a vehicle as a hack in one area and that vehicle working as a ph in another is not even under review in the deregulation bill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:34 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

The London Act has always allowed non licensed drivers to drive PH - but there has been an increase - a 14% increase between 2008 and 2010.

What are the actual figures? What was the level of incidents in minicabs prior to licensing? What increase,year on year, has there been since it was allowed? What is the increase per year since 2010?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 am 

Are you saying my concerns about public safety are incorrect?

What these changes will bring is open to speculation, i don't think theyre in the interests of the public, but more in line with the interests of large ph firms who will simply license themselves elsewhere if they don't get their way with local authorities.

indeed who will check the drivers are actually licensed when their on duty if theyre working miles away?

Seems to me that some are more dazzled by the 3 year driver licenses and their spouses bring allowed to drive licensed vehicles, presumably because that suits, than the overall picture?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 am 

captain cab wrote:
Are you saying my concerns about public safety are incorrect?

What these changes will bring is open to speculation, i don't think theyre in the interests of the public, but more in line with the interests of large ph firms who will simply license themselves elsewhere if they don't get their way with local authorities.

indeed who will check the drivers are actually licensed when their on duty if theyre working miles away?

Seems to me that some are more dazzled by the 3 year driver licenses and their spouses bring allowed to drive licensed vehicles, presumably because that suits, than the overall picture?

I think your concerns are disproportionate.
Who checks if drivers are actually licensed when they are working miles from away now? in fact who even checks them if you are out of your own town centre now?
My spouse can already drive our cars because she is licensed.
Does all licensing have to be about what is in the public interest? Can't it also be about the efficient running of the licensing department and the efficient use of resources? Why shouldn't I be able to help out a regular customer who happens to need a car in another town by booking it for them and putting the cost on their account with me?