Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:56 am 

Angus council propose to impose the following licenseing condition on both the hackney and private hire trades:- The driver and /or operator,shall keep a note of the dates, times departure points , destination points and fare for each hire undertaken. Said information shall be retained for at least 14 days and shall be exhibited on demand to any passenger,police officer or authorised officer of the licensing authority. Does anyone else have such a condition? Can anyone think of a logical reason for this condition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:12 am 

Well licensed PH operators in England and Wales have always (since 1976) had to keep records of all hirings.

There is a school of thought that all licensed HC should do likewise, although even I find that plain daft for immediate hirings. Although perhaps they could for any pre-bookings. :wink:

As for your manor, as they don't have operator licenses, I assume that if they want PH firms to keep records, then really they have to do like-wise for the taxi boys. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:41 pm 

The Scottish Executive has been considering 'operator' licensing for several years and this will probably include the mandatory recording of jobs done.

To avoid confusion, I think Sussex Man means 'operator' in the English sense, i.e. taxi offices.

Up here we normally refer to the vehicle license holder as the operator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:47 pm 

And there was me thinking it's a game, oh no that's operation. :D

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:30 pm 
I have to keep all drivers log sheets for seven years. Just to keep the VAT man happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:39 pm 

I'm assuming that's because you employ them.

I know that the firm I work with, only keep them for six months or so.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:01 pm 
That is correct Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:44 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
I have to keep all drivers log sheets for seven years. Just to keep the VAT man happy.

Same here. And, we have to keep loads of other rubbish for the VAT and Inland Revenue and others too.

We often have the police check our records, to trace various events too. Right pain in the butt it is too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:57 am 

Forfar cabbie,
I work in Angus also and i don`t see the problem with keeping a record of jobs done,if you work from an office they should be able to keep tabs on all of your jobs, if you are a street car it should`nt be a problem to keep a job sheet in your car and write down your jobs when completed.Whwn i worked in Dundee we kept every job that we did (including all account receipts ) from the day we opened until the Company was sold, i still have them, thousands and thousands of the blighters,so 40 to 60 jobs per shift shloud`nt be a problem

:lol: be happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:38 pm 
villager what compay are you talking about ive worked through four different offices and no records are kept at all, the computerised offices could tell you about a job you done last week or so but not the price
all this will change this year as angus council will be followed eventually by dundee council..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:14 pm 

Scot, I thought the computer systems retained ALL the information? What systems did your four offices use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:36 am 
Pen paper and abacus. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:39 am 
Abacus eh?

We aint that far advanced yet. We still use our fingers. (And toes, when it comes to long runs).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:58 am 
Forfar Cabbie wrote:
Angus council propose to impose the following licenseing condition on both the hackney and private hire trades:- The driver and /or operator,shall keep a note of the dates, times departure points , destination points and fare for each hire undertaken. Said information shall be retained for at least 14 days and shall be exhibited on demand to any passenger,police officer or authorised officer of the licensing authority. Does anyone else have such a condition? Can anyone think of a logical reason for this condition?

Surely you should not have to show any information to the general public unless it is pertaining to their hiring as this could put you in breach of the data protection act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:47 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Scot, I thought the computer systems retained ALL the information? What systems did your four offices use?

three were radios one computerised but even now (coputerised) there is always messages asking about who was working what shift when something gets reported back to the offics which suggests there is not a lot of records being kept...