Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:08 pm 

TDO wrote:
Skull wrote:
These numptys are getting ripped to pieces by the Ph...

Well there's an easy solution to that, as proffered by one of your mates on the 'sewing bee' site - abolish PH altogether :lol:

Its us that are getting abolished. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm 

Speak for yourself Mr Skull, however when dereg comes to your town, you will be the first one to start crying, I hope it happens soon, and then when you have ruined peoples livelihoods give yourself a big pat on the back and say well done.

Also if you fear PH so much, why dont you go and join them? cash in your plate whilst you can, you know the expression about rats and sinking ships dont you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:05 pm 

in fact Skull you know what you can do dont you? you can take that plate of yours, shine it up, turn it side ways and stick that son of a b@@@h up your candy ass!!!!

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:38 pm 

187ums wrote:
Speak for yourself Mr Skull, however when dereg comes to your town, you will be the first one to start crying, I hope it happens soon, and then when you have ruined peoples livelihoods give yourself a big pat on the back and say well done.

Personally I don't have a problem with plate premium holders defending taxi quotas. It's just the reasoning I can't work out.

If they said "we want to keep quotas because otherwise I'm £50,000 out of pocket", then that's fair enough. What I'm not a fan of is all this polution, over crowding, will kill the trade, no cars at night, sh** cars, sh** drivers, high fares, fighting at rank etc etc.

In short, the unions should cut the crap and just tell the truth. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:09 am 

187ums wrote:

Also if you fear PH so much, why dont you go and join them? cash in your plate whilst you can, you know the expression about rats and sinking ships dont you?

You are not quite grasping this are you, when you have one fleet restricted (taxis) and another fleet unrestricted (PH) you are at the mercy of the fleet that can increase exponentially to meet market demand. In other words, de-restriction by the back door. Edinburgh Taxis are losing their market share to the Ph. Their market share is contracting and the Ph share expanding.

Quite simply, the Edinburgh taxi fleet cannot compete, and they like you, think the Holy Grail of being a taxi driver is having some sort of status greater than their piers through an over inflated plate value. Meanwhile plate premiums are going up while profit margins are going down. The bubble will burst when the Ph has most of the call market and taxis are forced on to the street to compete against one another.

I don’t have a plate numpty. I am a driver who will not pay £40,000-£50,000 to become one of the business Borg or one who has lost the capacity to think for oneself. You have been assimilated and are now at the mercy of your council who might or might not de-restrict and who might or might not take away your license plate if you get into a spot of bother. Not only that, they just might throw you to the wolves now that you have paid your 60K just for the fun of it. :shock:

I bet your arse is knitting socks just with the thought of what the future might hold. I hope it was worth it.

:-({|= Resistance is futile. It’s too late for you to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:28 am 

187ums wrote:
in fact Skull you know what you can do dont you? you can take that plate of yours, shine it up, turn it side ways and stick that son of a b@@@h up your candy ass!!!!

Regards

Losing it a bit are we not? If you tried getting that brain of yours into gear you would not have to respond in such a puerile manner.

It must be hard having to know that you had to come to a taxi forum to find out the truth about the debt you might never get the chance to pay off. And if you do pay it off it might be worth [edited by admin] all anyway.

Ah well that’s life as they say. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:55 am 

When you think about it, what a cheek they have to tell us that quotas are wrong and should be removed , whilst at the same time the Bra war rumbles on, with the EU blocking the produce from China, what did they do, yes thats right they imposed Quotas :lol:

Hypocrites or what, the same principles apply as far as I am concerned, just goes to show you though ,totally free markets would cause havoc, the EU must have realised this, have they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:24 am 

Quote:
It must be hard having to know that you had to come to a taxi forum to find out the truth about the debt you might never get the chance to pay off. And if you do pay it off it might be worth s**t all anyway.

from your above sentence Mr Skull, it can be quiet clearly seen that even you know that dereg is a bad idea, after all as you say I might never get a chance to pay it off. Please explain to me why this might be?

Puerile manner? have a look at your own posts, analyse the language you use and then you might understand.

Like I said before, if you are so scared of PH, if you cant beat them, join them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:45 am 

TDO wrote:
Skull wrote:

Well there's an easy solution to that, as proffered by one of your mates on the 'sewing bee' site - abolish PH altogether :lol:

Otherwise known as a single tier system, whats so funny about that?

What I cannot understand about all this is the fact that if PH is the problem, why should they not be dealt with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:01 pm 

I'm not averse to the idea of a single-tier system, but that would necessitate getting rid of restricted taxi numbers, which was clearly not what the poster wanted - more likely abolish PH and leave the taxi fleet as it is, and the public and everyone else except taxi plate holders can just go to hell.

The main 'problem' with PH from your point of view is that plates are 'only' worth £40k, whereas if the PH had not been allowed to develop in numbers then taxi plates would be worth a lot more. Would £70k do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:21 pm 

To be honest I dont really care about the PH sector, I just work the street, the rise in numbers has not really affected me.(yet)

Plate value has no relevance to me since I do not own one.(yet) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:04 am 

187ums wrote:
Quote:
It must be hard having to know that you had to come to a taxi forum to find out the truth about the debt you might never get the chance to pay off. And if you do pay it off it might be worth s**t all anyway.

from your above sentence Mr Skull, it can be quiet clearly seen that even you know that dereg is a bad idea, after all as you say I might never get a chance to pay it off. Please explain to me why this might be?

Puerile manner? have a look at your own posts, analyse the language you use and then you might understand.

Like I said before, if you are so scared of PH, if you cant beat them, join them.

If the plate value reflected the profit margins then you would have all the time in the world to pay off your plate but this is simply not the case. You have paid for the scarcity value of the plate and the status you think it gives you over and above the drivers who have as much right to a plate as you.

In the event of dereg you will still be paying the 60k with no driver to bail you out. All the costs of running the vehicle will be yours and yours alone, with no plate to sell on for your pension.

Meanwhile every driver in and entering the market will have the option to buy his own vehicle with no 60K noose round his neck.

Getting the picture now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:24 am 

Sirius wrote:
TDO wrote:
Skull wrote:

Otherwise known as a single tier system, whats so funny about that?

What I cannot understand about all this is the fact that if PH is the problem, why should they not be dealt with?

You tell me?

Perhaps the Council have a separate agenda when it comes to the proliferation of the Ph?

Why would the council want the increase in Ph to carry on unabated?

Who benefits the most?

Funny there was a certain individual who sells TX taxis wanting us to lose the court case, I wonder why?

Where's the growth market over the next five years?

Where's the benefit in a market that is capped?

Where do you think John Patons & sons make the most money and what do you think they sell most of?

Whats the ratio of Ph to Taxis in glasgow? I can't remember now? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:52 pm 

Quote:
If the plate value reflected the profit margins then you would have all the time in the world to pay off your plate but this is simply not the case. You have paid for the scarcity value of the plate and the status you think it gives you over and above the drivers who have as much right to a plate as you.

so what this is really is about is how you feel you have no status as a driver for someone?

In the event of dereg you will still be paying the 60k with no driver to bail you out. All the costs of running the vehicle will be yours and yours alone, with no plate to sell on for your pension.

this sentence just highlights how you believe you have a "lack of status"

Listen clearly sonny jim - I have told you I am not worried about deregulation, if it did why would I have entered the market? its about being in business i.e. risk and reward, but you dont understand that do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:47 pm 

187ums wrote:
In the event of dereg you will still be paying the 60k with no driver to bail you out.

Its funny you should mention this because the TGWU and the NTA have never once suggested that the nead to restrict numbers is because owners need drivers to bail them out. Perhaps it was an oversight on their part?

Regards

JD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next