Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:44 am 

Just a heads up about these devices as quite a few people have wasted money on them thinking they're a bargain.

Extracted from our user forum.

Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3 is a cheap £20 pda that seems to be popping up at places.
It seems like these phones do NOT have a GPS unit even though it does say it does on the box!
This is why you can't find our driver app on the play store, as it knows that GPS is required.
The device itself reports no GPS in the settings so this is either a firmware issue or more likely, they don't fit a GPS chip-set to get the phones down to £20. It does support "network location" which isn't the same as GPS, and isn't anywhere accurate enough to work with.
On a similar note beware of any devices that say Has GPS but requires internet/mobile connection to work. This also means it doesn't have a GPS chip-set and therefore shouldn't really be advertised using the word GPS)

One company just bought 30 of these without bothering to check with us first. Mugs :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Bill :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:54 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:
One company just bought 30 of these without bothering to check with us first. Mugs :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Is anyone, who has been in the trade a while, surprised as such naivety? :-k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
bill_datamaster wrote:

Is anyone, who has been in the trade a while, surprised as such naivety? :-k

Fools and their money are easily parted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 am 

bill_datamaster wrote:
On a similar note beware of any devices that say Has GPS but requires internet/mobile connection to work. This also means it doesn't have a GPS chip-set and therefore shouldn't really be advertised using the word GPS)[/i]

I think most phones are using A-GPS now, which does use the mobile connection to improve its location results. Obviously if theres no proper gps chip though its never going to work. Poor people

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:34 pm 

a good cabbie doesnt need gps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:40 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

The gps is not for navigation in this instance. it is for the dispatch systems to know where the cars are to send the jobs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm 

The cars location need to be reasonably accurate if it's to work right on an automated system and you're not going to get that using network location methods. It can be spot on at times but more typically it can be plus or minus several hundreds of meters and that's on a good day!

While we're on this, watch out in the PDA's location settings because many devices (including the ones we supply) have an option tick box marked "hi accuracy". This looks like the best setting to use but in reality it causes problems each time the GPS signal drops for a few seconds as it then changes to crappy network location.
Their logic on this is that some location is better than no location but in our case, it's better to use the last accurate location than one that's often completely wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:14 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

The gps is not for navigation in this instance. it is for the dispatch systems to know where the cars are to send the jobs.

for the tracking then

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:00 am 

Bat (or whatever your name is.)

I started this thread to warn people off from buying a specific PDA device that was being sold with very misleading information.

You started your own thread to promote your products so please show some respect and keep it there.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:06 pm 

Well put Bill, there are too many allowed on here that just try and push for their own financial gain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:10 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:
Bat (or whatever your name is.)

I started this thread to warn people off from buying a specific PDA device that was being sold with very misleading information.

You started your own thread to promote your products so please show some respect and keep it there.

Thank you.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:17 pm 

Work OK with Cordic!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:59 pm 

It's nothing to do with which system your using, if there's no GPS it's never going to work right unless of course each of you plots are about the size Yorkshire. :lol:

There are several versions of this device available, all with differing specs and the one that's causing us grief is the bottom end device that's available at about £20.
We've had two more today both with this crappy version but at least they'd had the good sense to only buy one.
I have spoken with a few people that say their device works but they all paid about £45 / £50 so probably a higher spec version.

Maybe they're so cheap they don't bother changing the wording on the boxes they're supplied in. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:56 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:
It's nothing to do with which system your using, if there's no GPS it's never going to work right unless of course each of you plots are about the size Yorkshire. :lol:

There are several versions of this device available, all with differing specs and the one that's causing us grief is the bottom end device that's available at about £20.
We've had two more today both with this crappy version but at least they'd had the good sense to only buy one.
I have spoken with a few people that say their device works but they all paid about £45 / £50 so probably a higher spec version.

Maybe they're so cheap they don't bother changing the wording on the boxes they're supplied in. :lol:

They are the £50 versions - they work fine.