Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 am 

Taxi driver fined for knocking high-profile cycling campaigner off bike

A taxi driver who knocked over a high-profile London cycling campaigner has been fined £600 after the crash was caught on camera.

Crusader cyclist Lewis Dediare, 49, said he was lucky to escape with just bruises when he was bumped off his bicycle in Devonshire Street, Westminster in March.

Headcam footage shows how the taxi made contact with his bicycle moments after Mr Dediare sounded his horn at the driver for passing him too closely.

The taxi stops in the middle of the road, waits for Mr Dediare to cycle past before aggressively driving up next to him.

The 49-year-old crashes to the ground when the taxi makes contact with the bicycle.

On Wednesday, driver David Phillips, 46, was fined £500, ordered to pay an extra £200 costs and had his licence endorsed with six points after magistrates found him guilty of careless driving.

According to Mr Dediare, who was called as a witness, Phillps defended himself at Feltham Magistrates' Court and denied the offence.

Speaking after the case, he told the Standard the case highlighted the dangers faced by cyclists in the city, claiming drivers had been "getting away" with driving too dangerously.

He said: "Incidents like these are very common in London and not just taxi drivers.

"I have nothing against drivers personally but I am concerned with the way some people drive around cyclists.

"I would like to see the police or even the Government focus on this because lots of drivers are getting away with it.

"I was lucky I didn't break any bones."

Mr Dediare, also known as Traffic Droid, hit the headlines in 2011 when the Standard reported he was issuing his own tickets to motorists on his £300 camera and uploading the videos to YouTube.

In an explanatory note to accompany the collision, he said his complaint only progressed to court when the driver refused to attend a driving safety course.

He told the Standard he was still cycling in London but was left shaken for several weeks after the collision.

follow the link for the video: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/d ... 33721.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:53 pm 

captain cab wrote:
In an explanatory note to accompany the collision, he said his complaint only progressed to court when the driver refused to attend a driving safety course.

More evidence that some have a 'we're never wrong' attitude.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:37 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
On Wednesday, driver David Phillips, 46, was fined £500, ordered to pay an extra £200 costs and had his licence endorsed with six points after magistrates found him guilty of careless driving.

or a driver safety course costing £200 or thereabouts no brainer really clearly this mush doesn't use his

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 pm 

edders23 wrote:

or a driver safety course costing £200 or thereabouts no brainer really clearly this mush doesn't use his

He may not have been eligible for the course. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:54 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:57 pm 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Yep, I missed that one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:06 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Possibly, but then he could have taken a fixed penalty.

The police don't always offer that, but in most cases they do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:02 pm 

A Crusader Cyclist..WTF is that? is it the "Roads all mine, I'm never to close, I never cycle carelessly, I'm never being an arse, I'm always right, Car drivers are never right and should be purged from my roads, I am invincible both physically and legally" type of rider that even though they make up only only 1% percent of cyclists they end up giving 100% of cyclists a bad reputation through their overtly aggressive stance on other road users

Yet in all fairness that Taxi drivers driving was piss poor and he deserved being charged for careless driving.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:51 pm 

captain cab wrote:

A taxi driver who knocked over a high-profile London cycling campaigner has been fined £600 after the crash was caught on camera.

Crusader cyclist Lewis Dediare, 49, said he was lucky to escape with just bruises when he was bumped off his bicycle in Devonshire Street, Westminster in March.

Headcam footage shows how the taxi made contact with his bicycle moments after Mr Dediare sounded his horn at the driver for passing him too closely.

The taxi stops in the middle of the road, waits for Mr Dediare to cycle past before aggressively driving up next to him.

The 49-year-old crashes to the ground when the taxi makes contact with the bicycle.

According to Mr Dediare, who was called as a witness, Phillps defended himself at Feltham Magistrates' Court and denied the offence.

Speaking after the case, he told the Standard the case highlighted the dangers faced by cyclists in the city, claiming drivers had been "getting away" with driving too dangerously.

He said: "Incidents like these are very common in London and not just taxi drivers.

"I have nothing against drivers personally but I am concerned with the way some people drive around cyclists.

"I would like to see the police or even the Government focus on this because lots of drivers are getting away with it.

Mr Dediare, also known as Traffic Droid, hit the headlines in 2011 when the Standard reported he was issuing his own tickets to motorists on his £300 camera and uploading the videos to YouTube.

He told the Standard he was still cycling in London but was left shaken for several weeks after the collision.

follow the link for the video: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/d ... 33721.html

Link seems to take you to a different story. This isn't that black guy who dishes out yellow and red cards to drivers who go over a white line at traffic lights is it? If it's him I've seen him on the TV on Oxford Street, he's a total bellend, he rides around on his bike with a selfie stick and a air horn. He's a danger to himself and other road users.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:23 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Link seems to take you to a different story. This isn't that black guy who dishes out yellow and red cards to drivers who go over a white line at traffic lights is it? If it's him I've seen him on the TV on Oxford Street, he's a total bellend, he rides around on his bike with a selfie stick and a air horn. He's a danger to himself and other road users.

I'm guessing your right, infact that bloody stupid selfie stick is downright dangerous sticking out 3 feet from the front of the bike photographing his smug self.
this Link leads you right to it.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/taxi-driver-fined-for-knocking-highprofile-cycling-campaigner-off-bike-a3135406.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:44 am 

Campaigner?

Somewhere a padded cell in a mental health unit is missing its occupant.

The guys a loon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:49 am 

bloodnock wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
captain cab wrote:

I'm guessing your right, infact that bloody stupid selfie stick is downright dangerous sticking out 3 feet from the front of the bike photographing his smug self.
this Link leads you right to it.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/taxi-driver-fined-for-knocking-highprofile-cycling-campaigner-off-bike-a3135406.html

He's a cunt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 am 

He is a head case , to say the least, but that doesn't excuse the driver passing too close and then knocking him off his bike with his wing mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:26 pm 

x-ray wrote:
He is a head case , to say the least, but that doesn't excuse the driver passing too close and then knocking him off his bike with his wing mirror.

How he rides I suspect he was to far into the road.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:04 am 

He rides in the centre of the road looking for confrontation.

One day he'll meet the mother of confrontations like a bus, or a lorry who won't see him .......