Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new taxi office
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:50 pm 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
Some wiz kid young businessman had an article in the local paper that he thought there is a demand for taxi rank and office in the city as he thought that many people had to wait ages for cabs at weekend, It should actually mean PH office, but the press or he doesn't know the difference, but no available parking in that area, both police and the council said this is a no no and the application will be thrown out at planning level

here are letters from his supporters

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/Y ... TERS7.html

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/Y ... TERS8.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:26 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmmm. :-k

Methinks mesmells a rat or two. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:40 pm 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
Sussex wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmm. :-k

Methinks mesmells a rat or two. :roll:

how or why, explain then Sussex, I have my own thoughts but it will all come out in the wash, there is more to this, somehow its linked with another established PH firm trying to get back into city centre through the back door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:44 pm 

Stinky Pete wrote:
how or why, explain then Sussex, I have my own thoughts but it will all come out in the wash, there is more to this, somehow its linked with another established PH firm trying to get back into city centre through the back door

If I ever wanted to get a PH office in a place that would not normally allow it, then the first thing I would do is to send a few dummy letters to the local press supporting it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:31 pm 

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/Y ... OCAL8.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:47 pm 

Stinky Pete wrote:
http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/YORK_NEWS_LOCAL8.html

SP, tell me if I've missed something. :-k

The lad wants a booking office in the town centre. I'm assuming, at times, there are loads of people milling around wanting to go home.

Now if that's true I can't believe they turned him down. Surely the authorities must want rid of those in the town center as quickly as possible.

Anybody milling around his office, would still be milling around, but with the booking office they will be milling around less and making less noise and trouble. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:29 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Stinky Pete wrote:
http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/YORK_NEWS_LOCAL8.html

SP, tell me if I've missed something. :-k

The Council rules are quite simple, the Council stated long ago they wanted PH and all their vehicles outside the Walls of the city,anyone trying would be refused, so when lease was up they get told to move on, the office in dispute with planning was I think was a well established PH office before their lease ran out,
The street in question is well known for lots of trouble starting up in the early hours with the drunks and street thugs together with plenty of drinking dens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:35 pm 

Stinky Pete wrote:
The street in question is well known for lots of trouble starting up in the early hours with the drunks and street thugs together with plenty of drinking dens

So surely it's in everyone's interest to get the idiots (punters) out of the area. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 pm 

Irrespective of the considerations relevant only to York, there may not be a problem with having PH offices in certain places late at night, but at other times this can cause problems.

But if York don't want PH offices within the city walls anyway, maybe it's all about keeping the hack trade happy and keeping plate premiums up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:50 pm 

Sussex wrote:
So surely it's in everyone's interest to get the idiots (punters) out of the area. :-k

Nah, they will all split up and go to the Hack ranks, hopefully a cab might just take time out in an hour or so, thats if there are many hacks out and pickem up. The problem solves itself, they nearly all disperse from that area to the GNER taxi rank at the station, 4 or 5 British Transport police keeps an eye on them till such a time as a Station Cab comes along with his station permit to whisk them away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Stinky Pete wrote:

Well thats the idea, but now you say that, this starts to point me in the direction on the GNER taxi ranks who have hundreds of punters waiting when most of us without Permits don't pick up there, who cares then about the punters having to wait there, GNER don't, the Council don't and no one else is interested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:

It depends whether it's making you money or not. I doubt if the HC trade would concur with your perspective.