Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TX1 heating stuck on
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:59 pm 

Hi all, bought a 99 plate TX1 last week and loving it. Few bits to sort (that I know of, probably loads I'm not aware of yet) One problem is the heater. The temp selecter won't budge, looked in the engine bay and the mechanism can't be moved by hand even after a dose of plus gas. Can it normally be moved by hand so is the bit i need to swap out? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: TX1 heating stuck on
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:06 pm 

It's not in the engine bay it's behind the dashboard you need to take the dashboard out to get to it. What everyone does is cut one of the matrix pipes going into the bulkhead on the engine side and put a tap in.

I've a tx2 and have the same issue, can't put a tap on those though apparently so I just bypassed the matrix all together by joining the two matrix pipes together in engine bay. When winter comes I join them back up takes 10 mins.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:51 pm 

Thanks, also own a T3 camper so no stranger to dash out repairs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm 

Nickt wrote:
Thanks, also own a T3 camper so no stranger to dash out repairs.

I honestly wouldn't bother with a tx1 there not supposed to be very good and just seize again. I'd just fit a tap in the engine bay heater pipe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:33 pm 

Hello

My TX1 heater is not producing heat so I am wondering if there is a tap turned off as you have been mentioning here. what does it look like?

Thanks

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 pm 

upnorth2016 wrote:
Hello

My TX1 heater is not producing heat so I am wondering if there is a tap turned off as you have been mentioning here. what does it look like?

Thanks

Peter

Its probably seized as they all seem to do it! even if you get it changed they do it again a couple of years down the line. As far as i am aware its in the same position as the tx2 its behind the dashboard. Thats the official factory fitted tap that goes to the heat controller that you twist when you want hot/cold or if somebody has fitted a tap because its been stuck on hot look under the bonnet for two pipes coming out of the bulked see if there's a tap in the hose could be any sort of tap or one like a stop cock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 am 

Thank you very much once again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:18 pm 

upnorth2016 wrote:
Thank you very much once again
]

No worries, did you find a tap fitted in the engine compartment that someone had fitted?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:53 pm 

Yes I have found it.
I have sprayed it with penetrating spray and moved it back and forth but even when I leave it in the On position (on t he tap) there still isn't hot air.
I am guessing the bit inside is not turning ie its seized inside.
Thought I would take it off and trying leaving it to sit in lubricating spray but I cannot get it off the pipes.
A couple of questions:
If I can get it off will water run out? Not sure how to stop that as the pipe is too thick for me to clamp it with anything I think.
If I can get the tap off the pipe how would I get the new one on? Are they normally pushed on by hand or someone sort of tool?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:10 pm 

upnorth2016 wrote:
Yes I have found it.
I have sprayed it with penetrating spray and moved it back and forth but even when I leave it in the On position (on t he tap) there still isn't hot air.
I am guessing the bit inside is not turning ie its seized inside.
Thought I would take it off and trying leaving it to sit in lubricating spray but I cannot get it off the pipes.
A couple of questions:
If I can get it off will water run out? Not sure how to stop that as the pipe is too thick for me to clamp it with anything I think.
If I can get the tap off the pipe how would I get the new one on? Are they normally pushed on by hand or someone sort of tool?

I don't know If the tx1 had a tap in the engine bay to begin with but what tap is on yours in the bay? Does it look like a stop cock? Most I've seen on tx1 on rank is just a random on off tap from the plumbers pipes cut and jubilee each side onto the barb. On mine which is a tx2 I just joined the pipes together and bypassed the matrix all together. I'll put it back if it was ever to get very cold this winter but with the windows shut it's warm enough down to low Temps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am 

So the tap in the engine bay is seized. It can be moved by hand but not by the controls so the garage and I think its seized inside.
But whilst they were investigating they reckon the heater manifold in the cabin compartment is leaking.
However they are reluctant to take the dash out to check further due to the time cost involved and because they have never worked on a LTI.

They have asked me to try and find a heating diagram/workshop manual.

Any ideas where I could get this? The workshop manual I have traced so far does not include anything on the heating system.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:31 pm 

upnorth2016 wrote:
So the tap in the engine bay is seized. It can be moved by hand but not by the controls so the garage and I think its seized inside.
But whilst they were investigating they reckon the heater manifold in the cabin compartment is leaking.
However they are reluctant to take the dash out to check further due to the time cost involved and because they have never worked on a LTI.

They have asked me to try and find a heating diagram/workshop manual.

Any ideas where I could get this? The workshop manual I have traced so far does not include anything on the heating system.

What you need to do is it take it to someone who fixes cabs mate, they will have the dash out in a couple of hours big job though i imagine with a leaking matrix