Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 am 

Our local council last passed a fare increase over a year ago and one major taxi firm in our area decided not to increase their metered fares to the new tariff. The big taxi firm operate on the old tariff whilst every other taxi firms in the area have applied the new metered rates. Needless to say, the firm that decided to keep their meters unchanged continues to increase market share. This is great for the customer, but does anyone have a url or information that supports that this practice is legal. The old tariff cards continue to be displayed by the ever growing taxi firm using the old tariffs and the only strong arguement one can make is that they remain legal providing they never charge anymore than the newer, more expensive tariffs that everyone else charges. Any help you can give on this matter is appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:35 am 

There's certainly nothing illegal about charging less than the metered fare, but I'm not so sure about having the old tariff on the meter. I'm sure at least some LAs insist that the meters are calibrated to show the proper tariff, irrespective of what's actually charged, but presumably your LA doesn't insist on this.

And I'm not sure if there's any case law or legislation that requires the meters to show the correct tariff, so to that extent it's down to your LA.

But some of the other posters may know of something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:04 am 

I suppose it's all down to what bylaws you have.

If we start at the point that you can charge lower than the set rate, then it's down to how it can be done. I'm not too sure keeping the old rate on the meter is really acceptable, and surprised your council allow it.

But if the firm advertised a discount off the set rate, then that would be 100% ok.

Bet you have great fun at the ranks. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:47 pm 

Neighbouring district to me had the same problem.

They insisted the bandits had the meters at the council's set tariff and then offered discount.

The company was actually tampering with the meters after being checked by the council at test.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:31 pm 

Cabs4u wrote:
Our local council last passed a fare increase over a year ago

Which council might that be?

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:25 pm 

The local authority have decided, so far after well over a year, not to force the cab firm to operate the higher meter rates, pressumably as you point out, by charging less than the maximum tariff, the cab firm are not technically breaking the law. It does sometimes cause confusion as in effect you have 6 different tariffs being operated (those operating the 3 new rates versus the one operating the 3 old ones). Reading the OFT report from last year, the government want increased competition on fares, so again, as long as the customer is getting more choice and obviously a better deal with cabs operating the old tariff, not alot anyone else can do, apart from have their meter reset to the old tariffs and thus competing on a level playing field. I may go down this route, as many a time on the rank it causes arguements and late at night, you can do without it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:25 pm 

Yes, but of course having the meters read the official tariff is a different matter from discounting per se.

Of course, it's inconsistencies like this that arise from having hundreds of different LAs. And the OFT didn't bother with the detail, and the DfT's draft guidance didn't either.