Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: License fees for 2017/18
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:32 pm 

3.1 2016/17 Methodology

3.1.1 Fees for 2016/17 were set the Committee at the meeting of 8th June 2016 on the basis of a new approach to assessing cost, based on a toolkit initially suggested by the Melton Mowbray Taxi Association

3.1.2 This approach was based on time recording which identified the average time and cost associated with each type of licence. It also incorporated provision for deficits and surpluses from previous years and resulted in fees set as follows:

• Drivers Licences: £368 (3 year) • Vehicle Licences: £163 (1 year) • Operators Licences:£794 (5 year)

3.2 Deficit and surpluses

The details outlined in Appendix A provide a forecast trading account for the 2016/17 financial year across each of the Licences respectively. This has resulted in the following calculations which are forecasting a deficit across all licence type and these have been included in the calculation of costs stated at
AGENDA ITEM 9
3.2.2 below:

• Drivers Licences: £ 6,829.41(deficit) • Vehicle Licences: £ 2,745.62 (deficit) • Operators Licences: £ 372.87(deficit)

In line with the new methodology these forecast surpluses / deficits have been built into the fee modelling for 2017/18 to ensure the fees are set on fair and equitable basis. The same approach is proposed for applications for renewal as applied in 2016/17: 90% of the cost of anew application. At the financial year end a final account will be produced and any variances will be adjusted in the calculations for the 2018/19 fee setting process.

Fees for 2017/18 The same toolkit has been used to establish costs and fees for 2017/18 but this is based on a revised time recording exercise undertaken from October – December 2016. This is a longer period that in previous years and also made greater distinction between types of licence applications, reducing the need for assumptions and estimates. This has also enabled officers to further refine the time recording methodology to ensure the inputs to the model are accurate and capture a wider range of relevant activity data. Taking into account the forecast trading position outlined in para 3.2 and incorporating the revised time recording and costs data and the new fees for each licence type for 2017/18 have been calculated at the following rates:

• Drivers Licences: £318 • Vehicle Licences: £104 • Operators Licences: £845

It is recommended that these fees are adopted with effect from 1st April 2017, subject to the receipt of responses to consultation and consideration of their content.

3.3 Licensing practices and resource allocation continue to develop and further time recording will be carried out in order to inform fees for future years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm 

Many of you will remember the problems that I encountered with our Council over a prolonged period of time regarding the fees that we were being charged for our licenses. I wont bore you with all the details again except to say that up until June 2016 the cost of a 12 month vehicle license was £252.50 and it is now going to be £104.00 for a new license and £94.00 for a renewal. The annualised cost for the drivers license is also coming down by quite a lot.
Thanks to the help of a few people on here I was able to put forward the proposal for the methodology to be used and it just shows that I was right all along. It is just a pity that I was put in the position of resigning as a Councillor in order to complete the task.
I also believe that due to my resignation and subsequent questions at full Council resulted in the Council calling in James Button to review the Councils way of working and although the report has never been published in full, I think it showed that the Council were doing everything wrong and that they had to change to the methodology put forward by me.
I am sure that the local drivers will be queuing up to thank me for my efforts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm 

I have just checked up on the drivers license fees. In may last year a 1 year license cost £202 so if things hadn't changed the cost for 3 X 1 year licenses would have been £606.
The cost of renewing a 3 year license is now £286 or as an annual figure a smidge over £95 per year.
So over a 3 year cycle the costs would have been,
£252.50 X 3 =£757.50 and £202 X 3 =£606.00 a total of £1363.50
From April 1St 2017 it will be,
£94.00 X 3 =£282.00 and £286.00 a total of £568.00
That is a saving over the 3 years of £795.50 for each owner/driver

Now, all you others out there who are getting ripped off by your Council, YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO TRY.
I would like to publically that some of the members who advised and encouraged me to keep going with the quest.
So thank you in no particular order to
Captain Cab
Sussex
Mr T
Mancityfan
Heathcote
and not forgetting
Trotskys Twin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm 

You have to keep on top of them at all times......You did good :D :D ....It's your livelihood..you must keep control...and remember..you can't be sacked...but they can...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm 

MR T wrote:
You have to keep on top of them at all times......You did good :D :D ....It's your livelihood..you must keep control...and remember..you can't be sacked...but they can...

There are still some administrative savings that can be made and I will be getting on to that shortly. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm 

grandad wrote:
I also believe that due to my resignation and subsequent questions at full Council resulted in the Council calling in James Button to review the Councils way of working and although the report has never been published in full, I think it showed that the Council were doing everything wrong and that they had to change to the methodology put forward by me.

I would ask for that report under a FoI.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 pm 

grandad wrote:
Captain Cab
Sussex
Mr T
Mancityfan
Heathcote
and not forgetting
Trotskys Twin

Your welcome.

I suspect this whopper thread will be referred to a number of times in the future. Nearly 20,000 views already.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21366

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:27 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:
Captain Cab
Sussex
Mr T
Mancityfan
Heathcote
and not forgetting
Trotskys Twin

Your welcome.

I suspect this whopper thread will be referred to a number of times in the future. Nearly 20,000 views already.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21366

Wow, That thread was from 2013 and mentions the saga starting a year earlier. Has it really been 5 years? Where has the time gone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 am 

Well done Pete,time flies when you are enjoying yourself. =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 pm 

Just wish we in the Borders could get a 3 year badge for the price of a 1 year one, £86 per year = £258, with almost 90% of other Scottish councils charging around £100 for a 3 year badge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm 

heathcote wrote:
Well done Pete,time flies when you are enjoying yourself. =D> =D> =D>
Came across my NVQ certificate, thought I did it a couple of years ago. July 2009 nearly eight years ago !!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Just wish we in the Borders could get a 3 year badge for the price of a 1 year one, £86 per year = £258, with almost 90% of other Scottish councils charging around £100 for a 3 year badge

HA HA WITH YOUR ATTITUDE #-o #-o

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:52 pm 

WELL DONE TORY BOY =D> =D> =D> =D> GREAT WORK NOW THE REST YOU BURKES MAYBE ITS TIME TO RECOGNISE WHAT DETERMINATION AND ORGANISATION CAN ACHIEVE :D :D :D :D

ORGANISE EDUCATE AGITATE

COMING SOON IT AINT FAIR MY COUNCIL HAVE DONE XXX .ALL COUNCILLORS ARE MONGS IT AINT FAIR :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WELL YOU MUGS HERES AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN BE ACHIEVED :D FOR SURE YOU ALL HAVE NOT GOT GRANDADS ABILITYS BUT GET TOGETHER AND YOU TOO CAN WIN BATTLES :wink:

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE