Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm 

New taxi licences suspended by council amidst chaos at offices

The suspension comes after Knowsley Council removed the 'street knowledge' test and there was a spike in applications

The issuing of new taxi licences in Knowsley as the council struggles to cope with a deluge of applications.

The move follows changes to the licensing process which some critics say have made it too easy to for people to qualify to drive a taxi - specifically removal of the ‘street knowledge’ section of the application.

Also it is no longer a requirement for a Hackney cab or private hire driver to live in the area where the licence is issued.

Taxi drivers in Merseyside have been speaking out over the issue claiming would-be drivers are ‘scamming’ Knowsley Council by going into the borough applying for a licence and then going to Manchester or Liverpool to ‘work for Uber’ because they don’t have to have ‘ street knowledge to get a licence in the borough.

Now Knowsley Council licensing bosses say they “intend to look into the reasons for the increased numbers, which may include a review of existing policies to ensure that they remain robust and fit for purpose”.

A statement on the authority’s website said: “The current rate of applications is not sustainable as the council’s licensing service simply has not currently got the resources to manage and regulate the increasing level of drivers, particularly if some of these drivers have no intention of operating within in the Knowsley area.”

For a taxi licence in Knowsley applicants must pay £49, show you ”are a fit a proper person’, pass a DBS and DVLA check, a medical and have been driving for 12 months.

Once you pass the checks applicants must complete the Level 2 Certificate in the ‘Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver’ (QCF), which doesn’t include a ‘street knowledge’ test, before you are licensed to drive and take a driver skills assessment with council officers.

The temporary suspension is expected to last ‘no longer than 14 days’ and the council said “they would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause but it is felt that this is a necessary measure at this time”.

A Knowsley Council spokesperson said: “The volume of taxi licensing applications received has significantly increased recently.

"In December 2016, we received twice as many applications as we would normally expect and we are not resourced to process and regulate this many applications.

"As a result, we are reviewing our processes and the reasons for the increase in applications. This is anticipated to take a few weeks and whilst this review is being undertaken, we have introduced a temporary suspension of any new licenses being processed.”

source: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... l-12425993

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
The issuing of new taxi licences in Knowsley as the council struggles to cope with a deluge of applications.

The move follows changes to the licensing process which some critics say have made it too easy to for people to qualify to drive a taxi - specifically removal of the ‘street knowledge’ section of the application.

Also it is no longer a requirement for a Hackney cab or private hire driver to live in the area where the licence is issued.

another council desperate to get on the gravy train :lol: :lol: too bad they didn't realise how many applications they'd get :roll: :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm 

lower the requirements, he presto applicants, genius really ffs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:36 am 

edders23 wrote:

another council desperate to get on the gravy train :lol: :lol: too bad they didn't realise how many applications they'd get :roll: :roll:

They knew.....It's just backfired on JT..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:30 am 

ONLY YOU MUGS IN THIS MUGS INDUSTRY WOULD TOLERATE THIS MALARKY .............................GIVEN YER AVERAGE IQ HARDLY SURPRISING :D

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 pm 

Is this only referring to drivers licenses or vehicle licenses,article does not make it clear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 am 

heathcote wrote:
Is this only referring to drivers licenses or vehicle licenses,article does not make it clear.

I don't suppose it matters really cos if you can't get a driver licence having a vehicle licence won't help much :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:24 pm 

It seems that they are overrun with applications from Manchester...Uber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:48 pm 

no need any more for these tests anyway, everyone has a sat nav so what's the problem? why are taxi drivers so against the use of sat navs ?? what am i missing ??, if i got in a taxi & said "take me to joe bloggs street mate" & the driver said , "do you know where it is?" , i would say "no", & he said "will just pop it in the sat nav mate", i would just "say fine mate , crack on" , wouldn't have a have a problem at all, i would get there anyway , cant understand the problem , everyone is going on about driverless cars ( things progress after all) but hate taxi lads who use a sat nav?? bit odd if you ask me like :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:01 pm 

ven2112 wrote:
no need any more for these tests anyway, everyone has a sat nav so what's the problem? why are taxi drivers so against the use of sat navs ?? what am i missing ??, if i got in a taxi & said "take me to joe bloggs street mate" & the driver said , "do you know where it is?" , i would say "no", & he said "will just pop it in the sat nav mate", i would just "say fine mate , crack on" , wouldn't have a have a problem at all, i would get there anyway , cant understand the problem , everyone is going on about driverless cars ( things progress after all) but hate taxi lads who use a sat nav?? bit odd if you ask me like :?

Everyone does not have a sat-nav,my street does not show on a sat-nav.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:16 pm 

heathcote wrote:
ven2112 wrote:

Everyone does not have a sat-nav,my street does not show on a sat-nav.

most people have a sat nav on their mobile phone, most people have mobile phones, the odd places dont show up on a sat nav on mobile phones, if they dont have a mobile phone ( which i doubt) they can buy a sat nav :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
post codes can cover quite large areas I remember being told by a customer that tom tom sat navs could find his house but Garmin's took you to a farm 1 mile away ! The tech isn't perfect and people rely too heavily on it :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:01 pm 

Relying on sat nav 100% is pure madness.

Hastings has a bypass but no sat navs have it on their systems. #-o