Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 am 

Criminals Are Dodging Council Ban And Driving For Uber In Southend

A seaside town has complained that Uber, the app-driven taxi service, is using convicted criminals to tout for business even though the council has banned them from working as cabbies.

Taxi firms in Southend, Essex, have been dismayed by the arrival of up to 50 Uber drivers operating in the resort.

Among the new drivers are two familiar faces — Nasser Hussain, 60, and Nisar Abbas, 37, who were stripped of their private hire licences by the council for operating a ring in which they and other drivers shared each other’s penalty points for speeding, running red lights and other offences to avoid being banned.

Uber drivers are required to hold private hire vehicle (PHV) licences issued by the local authorities, but the two men sidestepped their bans by applying through Transport for London (TfL) instead of Southend council.

Such “cross-border” drivers are exploiting a legal grey area, which has worked to Uber’s advantage as the company seeks to expand into new areas across the UK.

Other places affected by the tactic include Bristol, where dozens of Uber drivers are using London PHV licences to avoid the local council’s requirement that taxi drivers must take a special driving and city geography test.

At Southend Crown Court in 2010, Hussain and Abbas were each jailed for 12 months after pleading guilty to 10 counts of perverting the course of justice.

The judge, Ian Graham, told Hussain, who lives in Southend: “You continued to carry the public when you should have been off the road altogether.”

Tony Cox, Southend council’s cabinet member for transport, said: “What I find astounding is that we did our part and removed these people from the road, but we now find we are impotent to protect the public.

“Uber are sticking two fingers up at licensing authorities like ours, and TfL is complicit in it.”

Despite complaints from the council, both Hussain and Abbas were still shown on TfL’s register of licensed drivers last week.

Steve ********, of the GMB union’s professional drivers’ section, said: “It is tantamount to an invasion and it is a much wider problem than Southend. Across the country, Uber are twisting the regulations to suit their ends. Local licensing systems are being sidestepped in the most cynical way.”

Uber now asks prospective drivers if they have had a PVH licence rejected or revoked.

An Uber spokesman said Hussain and Abbas still drove for the company but that their vetting was a matter for TfL.

A TfL spokesman said: “These are very serious issues, which have been raised with us and are under investigation

source: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/crimi ... -ntzqc73vn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:45 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Local licensing systems are being sidestepped in the most cynical way.”

the world over :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 pm 

captain cab wrote:
A TfL spokesman said: “These are very serious issues, which have been raised with us and are under investigation

Your complete lack of care doesn't need investigating it needs addressing. :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 pm 

SO STEVE 5STAR STINKING TURD IS INCAPABLE OF INITIATING OR SUGGESTING ANY ACTIVITY ON THIS #-o #-o PAR FOR THE COURSE FOR THAT GUTLESS MORON.

SUGGESTION MASSIVE DEMOS IN SOUTHEND :badgrin: :badgrin: [YES I KNOW IVE MET THEM] AND MAYBE A COUPLE QUESTIONS IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS GIVEN THE GMB HAVE IN EXCESS OF 100 MP'S ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NEXT #-o

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:41 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
SO STEVE 5STAR STINKING TURD IS INCAPABLE OF INITIATING OR SUGGESTING ANY ACTIVITY ON THIS #-o #-o PAR FOR THE COURSE FOR THAT GUTLESS MORON.

SUGGESTION MASSIVE DEMOS IN SOUTHEND :badgrin: :badgrin: [YES I KNOW IVE MET THEM] AND MAYBE A COUPLE QUESTIONS IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS GIVEN THE GMB HAVE IN EXCESS OF 100 MP'S ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NEXT #-o

NO RESPONSE FROM MERCEDES BULLET AND THE OTHER GROVELLERS IN THE GMBPDB ON THIS ONE, STYMIED AGAIN YOU MASTURBATERS :D :D :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 pm 

You really are a sad case.You still have not answered my questions since November.If you were a member you would know what we are doing re Southend.But your not so you live on hearsay and crap.
Except for setting the branch up what good have you actually done for any union member with facts.
I know you won the odd case but the concerned never received anything back.Why was this where did it go.Perhaps you could tell me,perhaps you have a idea.
Your a failed fossil with no idea on how a modern union works.so keep your beak out until you have facts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm 

r.If you were a member you would know what we are doing re Southend.

So crap nut kindly inform us of the success you intimate you have initiated in Southend ........no more crims Driving :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

A FEW DETAILS I AM SURE WOULD ASSIST THE BRANCH WITH ITS WOEFUL MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS WAY DOWN FROM THE 4000 PLUS OF YEARS AGO #-o

BUT THEN OF COURSE IT WASNT POLLUTED BY A PROPRIETOR ON THE SIDE OF PROPRIETORS AND WHO CO=OPERATES WITH THEIR ORGANISATIONS ALL OF WHOM ARE VIGOROUSLY ANTI UNION AND RACIST IE SCUM :twisted: :twisted:

BRING ON THE ENGLISH TEST SLING OUT THE RUBBISH CUT THE NUMBERS TO ABOUT 35000 EARN SOME REAL MONEY BANKRUPT MANY COMPANY'S =D> =D> =D>

ORGANISE EDUCATE AGITATE .....................................FIGHT DONT GROVEL LIKE ST G .........K :badgrin: :badgrin:

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:12 pm 

just read the headline, wrong imoh :-|

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 pm 

ven2112 wrote:
just read the headline, wrong imoh :-|

REALLY KINDLY EXPLAIN .................THE CAPS ARE ESPECIALLY FOR YOU :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE