Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHN6QQWv2g

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:37 pm 

I could be wrong but I'm sure I once read that the majority of oil is used in plastics, solvents, paint etc. and only a small percentage is actually for petrol/diesel/other fuels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 pm 

sasha wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm sure I once read that the majority of oil is used in plastics, solvents, paint etc. and only a small percentage is actually for petrol/diesel/other fuels.

I think it is about 75% is refined into the various fuels and the rest is used for everything else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 pm 

It's not an Oil crash that'll be the problem it'll be a lack of cleanly generated electricity that'll thwart the Electric cars progress...they can have every car on the planet replaced with a leccy car, they can lay on a Millions of electric charging points all over the shop, but it'll count for nowt unless leccy supply keeps up with demand and I can't see how you can achieve that In Britain with it's unpredictable weather.

Not enough sun for Solar, a matter made worse by the Short Winter days when the extra demand made on a leccy cars electrics is higher than in summer.
Not enough Wind generated Leccy without covering Britain from top to toe in Wind Turbines that only work if it's windy but not too windy or not at all if its not windy.
The greens don't want leccy from fossil fuel based generation and they don't want it from Nuclear either.

Which kind of Brings us back to where we are now...Oil Burners.

You can't have it all ways or you'll end up with no way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
It's not an Oil crash that'll be the problem it'll be a lack of cleanly generated electricity that'll thwart the Electric cars progress...they can have every car on the planet replaced with a leccy car, they can lay on a Millions of electric charging points all over the shop, but it'll count for nowt unless leccy supply keeps up with demand and I can't see how you can achieve that In Britain with it's unpredictable weather.

Not enough sun for Solar, a matter made worse by the Short Winter days when the extra demand made on a leccy cars electrics is higher than in summer.
Not enough Wind generated Leccy without covering Britain from top to toe in Wind Turbines that only work if it's windy but not too windy or not at all if its not windy.
The greens don't want leccy from fossil fuel based generation and they don't want it from Nuclear either.

I have Solar panels on the roof of my house, They pay for all my lecky and gas bills for the year and a bit over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 am 

sasha wrote:

Petrol and Diesel account for only a small amount of profits due to the above.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:06 am 

bloodnock wrote:

One Nuclear power station can make more power than 30,000 wind turbines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm 

MR T wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

I have Solar panels on the roof of my house, They pay for all my lecky and gas bills for the year and a bit over.

How many have you got and how much did they cost in total..maybe they Don't pay just as much as you think over their finite lifespan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

Quote:
How many have you got and how much did they cost in total..maybe they Don't pay just as much as you think over their finite lifespan.

Short answer....cost 5k.....how many....14 pans......generate 4kw.....cash back to me £1000 ish per year.... yearly lecky bill about £400 .......paid for in 6 years....then 14 years free....use lot's more lecky now then before....don't need Sun....... just light...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 pm 

MR T wrote:
Quote:

Short answer....cost 5k.....how many....14 pans......generate 4kw.....cash back to me £1000 ish .... yearly lecky bill about about £400 .......paid for in 6 years....then 14 years free....use lot's more lecky now then before....don't need Sun....... just light...

I don't know how true it is but I have heard it can be difficult to arrange a mortgage on a property with solar panels fitted.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:29 pm 

x-ray wrote:
MR T wrote:
Quote:

Short answer....cost 5k.....how many....14 pans......generate 4kw.....cash back to me £1000 ish .... yearly lecky bill about about £400 .......paid for in 6 years....then 14 years free....use lot's more lecky now then before....don't need Sun....... just light...

I don't know how true it is but I have heard it can be difficult to arrange a mortgage on a property with solar panels fitted.

If you have paid cash for them you are o k.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 pm 

MR T wrote:
x-ray wrote:

My ex wife has just sold her house with solar panels on to people needing a mortgage without any problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:
x-ray wrote:

My ex wife has just sold her house with solar panels on to people needing a mortgage without any problem.

It's nice to know that you two are still friends.. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 pm 

We have been building leccy cars for decades..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky4C9dlahh4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -1884.html