Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:45 pm 

How much should a driver receive from a school contract? We act as a principle for school contract work and the drivers are offered the work at the rate that would be on the meter at the 4 passenger vehicle rate. This has always been the case even for drivers who drive 6 passenger vehicles. The drivers are given the rate and they have the choice of accepting the job or declining. However we have a situation now where a driver was offered a school contract last August which had 4 students at £35.00 per day. After 4 weeks the job changed to 6 passengers but no extra mileage (the other 2 students were on the route). The driver asked if there would be an increase in the rate and was told that because there was no extra miles involved the rate would stay the same. He was again given the opportunity to refuse the job but he agreed to do it at the £35.00 per day rate.
Recently the driver decided to leave us and he then sent us an invoice for what he says he has been underpaid for the job. I wrote back and explained the company position and he has now instructed a solicitor.
Any views?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm 

Any extra pick ups and drop offs need paying for, he's still working IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:50 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:

As stated there is no additional miles involved so how much should he be paid? Now we don't charge commission, but if we did, how much should it be?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 pm 

Personally I would have sought an increase in the payment. If the council had to put on a minibus it would cost them more and bigger vehicles need more fuel and it must take more time even if there isn't any extra miles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:53 pm 

Additional passengers means more time, more wear and tear on the vehicle, even if there's no extra mileage involved. I had the reverse with Kent CC a few years back, a local school run, 4 kids on, 2 left, they wanted a reduction even though the car followed the same route, same mileage. They put it out to tender, they refused to give it tom, it went to a firm in Folkestone 18 miles away at double what they were paying before.

It shows how stupid councils can be.

If your driver is getting minimum wage, I don't see he has much to grumble about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:56 pm 

If the driver agreed a price, then I struggle to understand what kind of a case he will have. :-k

Of course the driver was within his rights to ask for more money, but if the contract is written and accepted in such a way that means no extra case for on route work, then I'm not sure what you have done wrong. He had the option to not do the work.

Did he receive less money when some of the kids didn't go in?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55 pm 

I think I had better point out the driver was using our vehicle and as mentioned before they pay us a rate per mile for the vehicle. This rate is the same regardless of the size of vehicle so the driver has no additional costs other than 44 pence per mile. So no extra miles = no extra costs = no extra payment. The additional time for stopping to pick up the extra students is seconds. The time taken for the job from base back to base is just under 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon for which the driver was paid £35.00 so not a bad hourly rate. He is seeking an additional £8.50 per hour.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:15 pm 

Counties are wholly focused on mileage.

Every extra pickup needs to be assessed on its merits regarding mileage but also local traffic conditions, and extra time loading and also waiting for kids to come out of school, mine has become a nightmare with 1 kid not coming out the school door till the others are in the car, also he want to take his scooter to school, school said he could but i pointed out another kid in the car was stopped from taking his and county said we should only carry items of an educational nature...

I told county we had transported (for kids) ducks, chucks, a minimoto bike and power tools...

Roll on July 21st

Going back to grandads driver, he was offered the chance to decline the work but agreed to do it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I cannot see a court backing him but why did the contract tenderer not offer an increase for the increased passengers ? Effectively a larger and more expensive vehicle was required on the contract surely

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I cannot see a court backing him but why did the contract tenderer not offer an increase for the increased passengers ? Effectively a larger and more expensive vehicle was required on the contract surely

We did get more for providing the bigger vehicle. but the extra pick up did not change the mileage or the time the job takes. The driver had no extra costs. The extra running costs for the bigger vehicle were borne by us. Not forgetting that the driver also had the use of the bigger vehicle for the rest of the time he was working and he kept all the enhanced payments from cash work for more than 4 passengers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:25 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

We did get more for providing the bigger vehicle. but the extra pick up did not change the mileage or the time the job takes. The driver had no extra costs. The extra running costs for the bigger vehicle were borne by us. Not forgetting that the driver also had the use of the bigger vehicle for the rest of the time he was working and he kept all the enhanced payments from cash work for more than 4 passengers.

who paid the extra fuel?

I assume the job took longer in man hours? (even 10 minutes is 10 minutes)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

who paid the extra fuel?

I assume the job took longer in man hours? (even 10 minutes is 10 minutes)

If you read the posts it is is clear that the driver had no extra costs and the additional time is seconds. The pick up is on the route and the students are waiting outside.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:04 pm 

grandad wrote:
If you read the posts it is is clear that the driver had no extra costs and the additional time is seconds. The pick up is on the route and the students are waiting outside.

If you get more - in a fair world - the driver should too... though i doubt he will

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

If you get more - in a fair world - the driver should too... though i doubt he will

The driver got the benefit of using a 6 passenger vehicle for the same price as a 4 passenger vehicle on all cash work for 5 or more passengers he received 50% more in the fare for no extra outlay. All the extra costs of running the larger vehicle were met by the company. The driver was receiving £17.50 per hour on the school contract. Now please tell me which bit isn't fair?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 pm 

grandad wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

As stated there is no additional miles involved so how much should he be paid? Now we don't charge commission, but if we did, how much should it be?

Does he get the minimum wage or over the minimum wage while he's doing the contract? If he does tell him to eff off.