Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
A cyclist who died after he was hit by a taxi door and thrown into the path of a van driven by a man three times over the alcohol limit lost his life through a 'tragic series' of events'.

Sam Boulton sustained 'unsurvivable' head and chest injuries when he went under the wheels of the van outside Leicester station on July 27 last year.

The 'inspirational' teacher, who had 'everything to live for' was killed on his 26th birthday.
A coroner at his inquest in Leicester Town Hall was told Amanda Chapple opened the passenger door of the taxi she was travelling in, knocking Mr Boulton off his bicycle.

Ms Chapple said: 'I opened the door slightly to see if anything was coming but I couldn't see anything,'Then I felt a bump on the door. When I looked up I saw Sam was on the floor.
'I just thought he'd fallen off his bike.'

The 56-year-old, who was fined £80 for her part in the tragedy at Leicester Magistrates' Court in March, added: 'In hindsight, I would have shuffled across the seat and got out of the nearside of the taxi.'

Pathologist Professor Guy Rutty said Mr Boulton's injuries were sustained by being 'run over' by a vehicle, rather than by falling to the ground from his bicycle.

Emergency services went to the scene at around 1.20pm and took Sam to Leicester Royal Infirmary where he was declared dead later that day.

Prof Rutty said: 'Sam died due to a head and chest injury. They were unsurvivable. He was rendered unconscious immediately.'

Pharmacist Anita Bagga, who witnessed the crash, said: 'I saw the taxi and the white van travelling towards it.

'Sam was just in front of the van when he went off balance. I didn't see the taxi door open, but I saw Sam wobble and fall.
'The front wheel went over his head and the rear wheel his chest. I screamed.'
Giving evidence, van driver Nigel Ingram said: 'I moved over to give the cyclist room. I didn't expect the taxi door to open.
'I didn't have a chance to react. I heard the impact but was hoping I'd run over the bike. I was just in shock.'

Mr Ingram, who failed to stop after the incident, was given a suspended prison sentence by Leicester magistrates in March.

He was nearly three times the drink drive limit when the collision occurred.
But accident investigator Pc Martin Broughton said that Mr Ingram would not have had time to react even if he had not been under the influence of alcohol.

He said driving conditions had been good, with visibility clear and road surface dry- and that the vehicles involved were in good working order.

Left, Nigel Ingram, who was three times the drink drive limit when Sam Boulton, right, went under the wheels of his van outside the station

Pc Broughton said that CCTV footage showed Mr Boulton was not wearing a cycle helmet, and passed through two red lights as he approached the train station. But he said a helmet would not have saved him.

Giving evidence, private hire taxi driver Farook Bhikhu said he did not see the collision.
He said: 'Normally I would have the doors locked. I did not give permission for the door to be opened.'

Mr Bhikhu, 56, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of permitting the opening of a vehicle door so as to injure or endanger a person. He will face a trial at a later date.

After the tragedy hundreds of tributes poured in for the well-loved graphics teacher, while pupils left flowers and messages near the crash scene.

He was said to have inspired generations of youngsters during his short career Castle Rock High School in Coalville, Leicestershire.

The coroner ruled Mr Boulton's death was because of an unfortunate combination of events

John Dowson, a major transport projects officer at the city council, told the court the authority was doing what it could to improve safety outside the train station.

He said the double yellow lines where the taxi was stopped legally had since been replaced by a 'keep clear' zone restricting it to buses and black cabs.

Plans are also afoot to install a 24-hours camera to enforce the restriction, and install cycle lanes along London Road outside the station.

Assistant coroner Lydia Brown said: 'I am satisfied that Leicester City Council are doing what they can and preventing future deaths such as Sam's is very much at the forefront of their considerations and their planning.

'Their response to this tragedy has been proportionate.'
Mr Boulton's family, who were in court, will not be issuing a comment until the criminal proceedings are over.

Recording a verdict of death by road traffic collision, Mrs Brown said: 'Sam lost his life when he had absolutely everything to live for, in this unfortunate combination of events.
'The loss to your family is irrevocable.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4468806/Cyclist-killed-26th-birthday-tragic-series-events.html

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 am 

So the cyclist went through two sets of red lights and wasn't wearing a helmet? Why is the driver being dragged over the coals too? If a passenger opens a door onto the roadside they do it at their own risk not the drivers.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:07 pm 

The only person responsible for this is the passenger, you could make the argument that the driver should have deadlocked the doors but if you have a lone female passenger and you lock them in they can think you have unlawful intentions.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:43 pm 

Midlife martyr wrote:
The only person responsible for this is the passenger, you could make the argument that the driver should have deadlocked the doors but if you have a lone female passenger and you lock them in they can think you have unlawful intentions.

Quote:
a van driven by a man three times over the alcohol limit

you sure mate ?? maybe if he wasn't pi$$ed he could have reacted earlier?, even if you "deadlocked " the doors it was the end of the journey & the punter was getting out , are we supposed to keep the doors locked until its safe then ?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 pm 

ven2112 wrote:
Midlife martyr wrote:

Quote:
a van driven by a man three times over the alcohol limit

you sure mate ?? maybe if he wasn't pi$$ed he could have reacted earlier?, even if you "deadlocked " the doors it was the end of the journey & the punter was getting out , are we supposed to keep the doors locked until its safe then ?

There has been cases of being accused of kidnapping when a driver has locked the doors.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

Quote:
Pc Broughton said that CCTV footage showed Mr Boulton was not wearing a cycle helmet, and passed through two red lights as he approached the train station. But he said a helmet would not have saved him.

But stopping at those red lights would have done.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Quote:
There has been cases of being accused of kidnapping when a driver has locked the doors.

did you even bother reading the post then? it was at the end of the journey & she was getting out the vehicle after settling the fare( i assume) wtf had "deadlocks" got to do with anything ?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Quote:
Mr Bhikhu, 56, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of permitting the opening of a vehicle door so as to injure or endanger a person. He will face a trial at a later date.

FFS, is that really in the public interest?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:29 pm 

ven2112 wrote:
Quote:

did you even bother reading the post then? it was at the end of the journey & she was getting out the vehicle after settling the fare( i assume) wtf had "deadlocks" got to do with anything ?

I do not think you have read the whole post,the driver intimated he normally locked the doors but did not in this case.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:12 pm 

ven2112 wrote:
Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't believe you of all people have written that :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:30 pm 

toots wrote:
ven2112 wrote:
Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't believe you of all people have written that :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
DRIVER FOUND GUILTY :sad:

confusing recap article :roll: but sounds like a career ending result

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 pm 

So the Passenger that opened the door gets an fine £80 and "accident investigator Pc Martin Broughton said that Mr Ingram would not have had time to react even if he had not been under the influence of alcohol"..A Drunk Driver that should not have been driving in any case and who squashed the guys head hardly gets a mention!!

So they try and throw the book at a Driver who done nothing more wrong than stop to drop of his passenger and who had no control over his passengers actions...what a crazy fucked up unjust Britain we live in...the Guilty get off and the Innocent get nabbed.

What the Feck are we supposed to do! lock our passengers in or what, try that and they'll nick you for false imprisonment against their will.

A door did not kill the cyclist..A Drunk Driver who should not have been on the road did.

Who'd want this bloody job?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 pm 

How can this be justice? Yet another taxi driver made the scapegoat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 am 

So the upshot of this is drivers need to engage deadlocks on every journey and not release them till you have checked that it's safe to open the door.