All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 pm 

edders23 wrote:
but sounds like a career ending result

A £300 fine makes me think otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
cycling weeklys view ](*,)

Taxi driver fined ‘inadequate’ £955 for ‘car-dooring’ incident which led to cyclist’s death

The father of a cyclist who died in a ‘car-dooring’ incident last July has slammed the government for trivialising the offence after a Leicester taxi driver was fined £955 for his son’s death.

Sam Boulton, a school teacher, was cycling past Leicester train station on July 27, 2016, when passenger Mandy Chapple opened the car door which hit Mr Boulton and knocked him into the path of a Citroen van; he was taken to hospital but died later that day.

Car-dooring is an offence but is only punishable up to £1000. Both the person who is operating the vehicle and the person who opens the door can both be charged.

Ms Chapple pleaded guilty in court in March and was fined £150, butdriver Farook Bhikhu pleaded not guilty.

At Loughborough Magistrates Court on Tuesday (June 5), though, the taxi driver was convicted of the crime and given a £955 fine.

£625 goes towards court costs, £300 for the offence and £30 for victim surcharge. He will pay the money in £20 weekly instalments.

Jeff Boulton, Sam’s father, said. “It’s heartbreaking that an offence which has ended a life and caused untold trauma for my family be treated so lightly under current legislation.

“Car-dooring must be taken more seriously, and the only way to do that is to change the law. Only then will we see people taking the time to think before they act.

“Until we have an appropriate offence in law, I call on the government to start investigating how they can better educate and train drivers about the dangers of car-dooring and the techniques that can prevent it from happening.”

Cycling UK – formerly the CTC – has also called on the government to introduce tougher penalties and better educate people.

“How many Sam Boultons have to die before the government takes note, and stops treating avoidable deaths as ‘accidents’?

“A maximum £1,000 fine is derisory, and trivialises these preventable tragedies,” Duncan Dollimore, the organisation’s road safety and legal campaigns offer said.

“Cycling UK wants to see the government introduce a new offence of causing serious injury or death by car-dooring, with tougher penalties. It is not right or just that tragic cases, such as Sam’s, see inadequate penalties handed down.

“Tougher penalties, including the option of custodial sentencing, should be an option for the court in life-changing or fatal cases, which in turn would hopefully encourage the police and CPS to prosecute.”

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 pm 

Common sense would dictate that if you see a Taxi stopped or stopping then whether your Cycling or driving past then you should give it a wide berth or better still slow up or stop to ensure no one is getting out.

Why hang the Innocent driver of a Taxi when the Person getting out the vehicle set the whole incident in motion and some drunken van driver who was not legally entitled to be on the road through his state of intoxication came along and ran the cyclist over.

When we drive past Cyclists we are advised to give them at least a meter of space between the cyclist and vehicle...the same should apply to cyclists overtaking parked or or slow moving vehicles, if that had been the case the door would probably not have touched the cyclist.

This poor old driver did nothing at all wrong IMO and Cyclists should be made to take more responsibility for their safety and not to put themselves in danger while expecting or relying on other road users to be responsible for theirs..Maybe Cyclists should pass a course on road safety and competence before they are allowed on a Busy Road...Drivers do, it's called the Driving test.

Yes it's a tragedy but not the drivers fault.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 am 

bloodnock wrote:
Common sense would dictate that if you see a Taxi stopped or stopping then whether your Cycling or driving past then you should give it a wide berth or better still slow up or stop to ensure no one is getting out.

WTF is this "common sense"? Can't say it is a phrase that I am familiar with anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 am 

grandad wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

WTF is this "common sense"? Can't say it is a phrase that I am familiar with anymore.

It's what we had up until about 1989, it was then slowly replaced by selfish stupidity as the thought police made self awareness and selflessness something to be avoided, eventually it became that we could not be trusted to think of our own safety or of the safety of others without state direction and guidance.

So, now if I bump my head through what used to be called my own stupidity i can legally go out and blame someone else for putting the thing I bumped my head on and for them putting said item in the wrong place, I can then go out and sue them for lots of money for such an act gross negligence.

Call me old fashioned though but I still find common sense better than our modern pain for claim attitude which crept in unnoticed from the states.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 am 

It's what we had up until about 1989, it was then slowly replaced by selfish stupidity as the thought police made self awareness and selflessness something to be avoided, eventually it became that we could not be trusted to think of our own safety or of the safety of others without state direction and guidance. =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Taxi driver fined ‘inadequate’ £955 for ‘car-dooring’ incident which led to cyclist’s death

The father of a cyclist who died in a ‘car-dooring’ incident last July has slammed the government for trivialising the offence after a Leicester taxi driver was fined £955 for his son’s death.

Sam Boulton, a school teacher, was cycling past Leicester train station on July 27, 2016, when passenger Mandy Chapple opened the car door which hit Mr Boulton and knocked him into the path of a Citroen van; he was taken to hospital but died later that day.

Car-dooring is an offence but is only punishable up to £1000. Both the person who is operating the vehicle and the person who opens the door can both be charged.

Ms Chapple pleaded guilty in court in March and was fined £150, butdriver Farook Bhikhu pleaded not guilty.

At Loughborough Magistrates Court on Tuesday (June 5), though, the taxi driver was convicted of the crime and given a £955 fine.

£625 goes towards court costs, £300 for the offence and £30 for victim surcharge. He will pay the money in £20 weekly instalments.

Jeff Boulton, Sam’s father, said. “It’s heartbreaking that an offence which has ended a life and caused untold trauma for my family be treated so lightly under current legislation.

“Car-dooring must be taken more seriously, and the only way to do that is to change the law. Only then will we see people taking the time to think before they act.

“Until we have an appropriate offence in law, I call on the government to start investigating how they can better educate and train drivers about the dangers of car-dooring and the techniques that can prevent it from happening.”

Cycling UK – formerly the CTC – has also called on the government to introduce tougher penalties and better educate people.

“How many Sam Boultons have to die before the government takes note, and stops treating avoidable deaths as ‘accidents’?

“A maximum £1,000 fine is derisory, and trivialises these preventable tragedies,” Duncan Dollimore, the organisation’s road safety and legal campaigns offer said.

“Cycling UK wants to see the government introduce a new offence of causing serious injury or death by car-dooring, with tougher penalties. It is not right or just that tragic cases, such as Sam’s, see inadequate penalties handed down.

“Tougher penalties, including the option of custodial sentencing, should be an option for the court in life-changing or fatal cases, which in turn would hopefully encourage the police and CPS to prosecute.”

Whilst I feel sorry for his loss didn't this guys son jump a red light?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:56 am 

toots wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Whilst I feel sorry for his loss didn't this guys son jump a red light?

If your Cycling past a car then don't cycle within a 1.5 meters of it just as you'd expect the car drivers to do if they wre passing a cyclist...a Bike/Car speed difference of 20 MPH is still 20 MPH regardless of who is passing who.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 pm 

Appeal on Thursday.

http://road.cc/content/news/227364-cour ... -case-week

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Looking at the page comments it would appear that one or two cyclists would rather see a man Jailed for something he never did...the Passenger caused the accident and had the cyclist kept the same 1.5m from the car as drivers are recommended to do with cyclists then the door would never have hit him in the first place, in the world of cycling what is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander, they bay for this guys blood like a pack of starved Hyenas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 pm 

Appeal rejected. :sad:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ted-354977

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Bhikhu was originally handed a £955 fine by Loughborough Magistrates Court in June, but appealed against the conviction. Leicester Crown Court Court rejected his appeal on Thursday, and added further costs of £300.

Chapple previously pleaded guilty to car-dooring and was fined £150.

Why is he being held responsible it is not possible to control the behaviour of your passengers and often very tricky to spot cyclists in time I had one the other day cycling on the path and only just managed to shout at the passsenger to stop in time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:07 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Why is he being held responsible it is not possible to control the behaviour of your passengers and often very tricky to spot cyclists in time I had one the other day cycling on the path and only just managed to shout at the passsenger to stop in time

Because according to the law of the land he is partly responsible for his customers actions at the time.

In short an easy target.