Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: engagedby time?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am 

I have read it in the act that a hackney carriage can be engaged by time or distance. Now what is meant be being engaged by time? and who sets the rate?

Post subject: Re: engagedby time?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:00 pm 

grandad wrote:
I have read it in the act that a hackney carriage can be engaged by time or distance. Now what is meant be being engaged by time? and who sets the rate?

The rate for time or distance should be on your fare table and it is set in the process of fixing rate to be charged by a TAXI (hackney carriage).

As a Councillor and TAXI proprietor thought you would have known that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:11 pm 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:

The rate for time or distance should be on your fare table and it is set in the process of fixing rate to be charged by a TAXI (hackney carriage).

As a Councillor and TAXI proprietor thought you would have known that.

if not as a time served HC/PH operator?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 pm 

grandad wrote:

The rate the council set applies outside of an area unless prior agreement is made.

If you are saying a rate within the licensing area can be set by time, rather than distance, then that's not my reading of the act.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

The rate the council set applies outside of an area unless prior agreement is made.

If you are saying a rate within the licensing area can be set by time, rather than distance, then that's not my reading of the act.

When a meter is calibrated it is set at a rate for a particular number of yards or a particular number of seconds ie. 178.90 or 44.5 seconds.
If you are stopped in traffic jam your meter is still working on the time factor as the yardage factor is at a stand still.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 pm 

heathcote wrote:
When a meter is calibrated it is set at a rate for a particular number of yards or a particular number of seconds ie. 178.90 or 44.5 seconds.
If you are stopped in traffic jam your meter is still working on the time factor as the yardage factor is at a stand still.

Pretty certain that's not what he is asking, more like could he charge a punter, say £20 an hour, for a job running around his licensing district, as opposed to the mileage rate.

IMO in a hackney he can't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Pretty certain that's not what he is asking, more like could he charge a punter, say £20 an hour, for a job running around his licensing district, as opposed to the mileage rate.

I think you are correct in your assumption,taking the example above,assuming the drop is 20 p. the most you would get for time is £18 per hour.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:35 am 

Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Yes, that is what I was asking. I was asked this question by a new owner and I didn't think it was allowed but I just wanted to check. This new owner also thinks his wife can drive his Hackney when he isn't working because his insurance says any driver. I understand the licensing team have told him what he can and can't do and I have told him until I am blue in the face but he still insists that we are all wrong. In the end I told him that if he thinks he is so right he should just do it and see if he gets prosecuted. Unfortunately, with the lack of enforcement due to cutbacks, he probably wouldn't get caught.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Yes, that is what I was asking. I was asked this question by a new owner and I didn't think it was allowed but I just wanted to check. This new owner also thinks his wife can drive his Hackney when he isn't working because his insurance says any driver. I understand the licensing team have told him what he can and can't do and I have told him until I am blue in the face but he still insists that we are all wrong. In the end I told him that if he thinks he is so right he should just do it and see if he gets prosecuted. Unfortunately, with the lack of enforcement due to cutbacks, he probably wouldn't get caught.

He must be paying a small fortune for any driver insurance as a new proprietor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 am 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:

He must be paying a small fortune for any driver insurance as a new proprietor.

He bought the company he was driving for. At the time we were having this discussion he had 3 vehicles but he was the only licensed driver. He has one owner driver as well. He now has a driver using one of his vehicles. I did hear from one of our customers who used him off the rank a few weeks ago that it is his intention to have us off the road within 12 months. It could be an interesting year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 pm 

grandad wrote:

People ignore the law all the time, and all kind of laws. Taxi/PH drivers ain't no different.

Most enforcement nowadays is done indirectly by other taxi/PH drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

People ignore the law all the time, and all kind of laws. Taxi/PH drivers ain't no different.

Most enforcement nowadays is done indirectly by other taxi/PH drivers.

like a grass?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
like a grass?

Some may say grass, others might say 'fit and proper person'.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
like a grass?

Some may say grass, others might say 'fit and proper person'.

id say "substitute licensing officer"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

Taxi drivers reporting each other, once upon a time they helped each other, just shows how far we've come. I prefer the old days.