Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm 

A hackney carriage driver guilty of plying for hire outside of his licensing district cannot be found guilty of having no hire and reward insurance, if he has hire and reward insurance for his licensing area, as the insurance cover cannot be for one area only.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Adm ... /3597.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
A hackney carriage driver guilty of plying for hire outside of his licensing district cannot be found guilty of having no hire and reward insurance, if he has hire and reward insurance for his licensing area, as the insurance cover cannot be for one area only.

a very strange decision imo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm 

captain cab wrote:

My first thoughts.

However reading the judgement the judges have convinced me. :D

What they are saying is that most, if not all, hackney carriage insurances don't specify a zone for their cover. I think they said that would go against the Road Traffic Act they mentioned.

They also said that although a criminal act had taken place, that in itself doesn't void the insurance. In the same way a speeding driver doesn't void his insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

My first thoughts.

However reading the judgement the judges have convinced me. :D

What they are saying is that most, if not all, hackney carriage insurances don't specify a zone for their cover. I think they said that would go against the Road Traffic Act they mentioned.

They also said that although a criminal act had taken place, that in itself doesn't void the insurance. In the same way a speeding driver doesn't void his insurance.

Always been under the impression you do not just take as fact what is on the Certificate but also what is contained in the schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Unless his insurance specifies that he is not insured if he picks up outside his area...... it's all in the wording.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:16 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Unless his insurance specifies that he is not insured if he picks up outside his area...... it's all in the wording.

I'm not sure the Road Traffic Act permits such clarification.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 pm 

surely the mere indemnification for the passengers doesn't automatically mean the vehicle is insured?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I'm not sure the Road Traffic Act permits such clarification.

I can Insure you..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 pm 

captain cab wrote:
surely the mere indemnification for the passengers doesn't automatically mean the vehicle is insured?

If my policy says I am insured then I am insured...if it says that I am not .. then I am not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:44 pm 

MR T wrote:
captain cab wrote:

If my policy says I am insured then I am insured...if it says that I am not .. then I am not.

Take it up with their Lordships.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Don't have to..

Mr Hussain, for the respondent, did not object to us considering this additional material. We were prepared to do so. Mr Hussain argued in written submissions, as he had done at the hearing, that the domestic legislation is clear' that it plainly invalidates area-based restrictions in insurance policies, of the type at issue in this case; that there was no reason to construe the legislation in the unnatural manner proposed by the appellant; and that the law was not thereby rendered deficient; it adequately punished those who ply for hire outside the geographical area of their licence, since by doing so they commit a criminal offence (to which his client had pleaded guilty) irrespective of the insurance position. We agree. We did not find in Mr Moss's added submissions any good reason to alter our reasoning or the conclusion to which it leads. The appeal is dismissed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 am 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

Don't have to..

Mr Hussain, for the respondent, did not object to us considering this additional material. We were prepared to do so. Mr Hussain argued in written submissions, as he had done at the hearing, that the domestic legislation is clear' that it plainly invalidates area-based restrictions in insurance policies, of the type at issue in this case; that there was no reason to construe the legislation in the unnatural manner proposed by the appellant; and that the law was not thereby rendered deficient; it adequately punished those who ply for hire outside the geographical area of their licence, since by doing so they commit a criminal offence (to which his client had pleaded guilty) irrespective of the insurance position. We agree. We did not find in Mr Moss's added submissions any good reason to alter our reasoning or the conclusion to which it leads. The appeal is dismissed.

This surely puts the cat amongst the pigeons with out of town hackney carriages,THEY ARE PLYING FOR HIRE when accepting work when in another district,by doing so have committed a criminal offence.
Councils must enforce the LAW and prosecute every out of town hackney carriage for plying for hire.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 am 

It amazes me that people don't understand about insurance. Once you are insured and have paid your premium you are insured for the lifetime of that policy. The law requires that hackney insurance covers hackneys for hire and reward which is what we insure for. If the law was to be interpreted that you are insured only in your area it would mean that every time you picked up a pre-booked fare from outside your area, you would not be insured, which is obviously ridiculous, so a hackney is always insured inside or outside his area. If he picks up outside his area he is committing an offence which his local council should prosecute him for, and the cost of that prosecution is down to them. As we know, the problem with prosecuting that offence is that nine times out of ten, councils do not succeed in obtaining a successful outcome due to the fact that the person being prosecuted usually claims that they were picking up a family member and so on. So yes, councils will have now taken a big step backwards, but what I find interesting is whether the drivers from the past who have been successfully prosecuted for no insurance, will try to seek recompense and have their records put straight, which will be a cost to councils and obviously that financial burden will then be placed on drivers licencing fees.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:06 am 

The judges have agreed with my thinking at last!

If you also look to EU law, that says that all vehicle insurance must cover the vehicle in ALL EU and EEA countries. It may not necessarily cover the car for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward outside the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am 

roythebus wrote:
The judges have agreed with my thinking at last!

I bet they are delighted with that. :D