Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 10195
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/uber-hopeful-new-deal-can-be-struck-with-transport-for-london-as-licence-talks-continue-mps-told-a3655216.html

Uber hopeful new London deal can be struck with TfL as licence talks continue, MPs told

Uber believes there is still a way to strike a deal with Transport for London which will allow it to continue operating in the capital, an executive has told MPs.

Head of public policy Andrew Byrne said the ride-hailing firm accepted it had shown "the wrong attitude" on a number of issues and was ready to change.

TfL refused to renew the firm's licence last month on the grounds of "public safety and security implications" relating to issues including the reporting of serious criminal offences.

Uber’s chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi offered an apology for "mistakes" in an open letter and met TfL for talks.

The Standard understands Uber is hopeful the talks will continue even after it formally files its appeal, which must be done by Friday. The firm would like to resolve the case before it ever goes to court.

Mr Byrne told the House of Commons Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee: "The company accepts that in lots of places it has had the wrong attitude and needs to change."

He added: "I think we are very conscious of the fact that 40,000 people do earn money through Uber in London. That fact weighs very heavily on our response.

Sadiq Khan hints there is still hope for Uber in London
"But hopefully we can see a path forward now with TfL where we can address their concerns and continue to operate."

Some 3.5 million passengers use the Uber app to hail rides in London, and more than 850,000 people have signed a petition calling for its licence to be renewed.

Mr Byrne said Uber was taking part in a working party with the Metropolitan Police to develop a new policy for dealing with complaints of sexual harassment.

"We previously said it is the choice for anyone who wants to make the allegation whether they report it or not," he explained.

"The police have said to us that is not good enough, and we are making it a policy to change that."

He said Uber's technology, which allows it to identify drivers and track cars at all times during journeys, enabled the company to "be far more helpful in holding people to account with police investigations than a traditional private hire operator or taxi company".

And he said Uber was considering a policy which would block drivers from taking fares for more than 10-12 hours during a 24-hour period, in order to reduce the risk of them operating when too tired to drive safely.

Mr Byrne played down suggestions that self-employed drivers might lose their jobs to driverless cars in the near future, telling the committee: "A fleet with lots of human drivers will be the norm for 10 to 20 years, and that will continue to be the case in the UK".

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 am 
Online

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 1044
edders23 wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/uber-hopeful-new-deal-can-be-struck-with-transport-for-london-as-licence-talks-continue-mps-told-a3655216.html

Uber hopeful new London deal can be struck with TfL as licence talks continue, MPs told

Uber believes there is still a way to strike a deal with Transport for London which will allow it to continue operating in the capital, an executive has told MPs.

Head of public policy Andrew Byrne said the ride-hailing firm accepted it had shown "the wrong attitude" on a number of issues and was ready to change.

TfL refused to renew the firm's licence last month on the grounds of "public safety and security implications" relating to issues including the reporting of serious criminal offences.

Uber’s chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi offered an apology for "mistakes" in an open letter and met TfL for talks.

The Standard understands Uber is hopeful the talks will continue even after it formally files its appeal, which must be done by Friday. The firm would like to resolve the case before it ever goes to court.

Mr Byrne told the House of Commons Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee: "The company accepts that in lots of places it has had the wrong attitude and needs to change."

He added: "I think we are very conscious of the fact that 40,000 people do earn money through Uber in London. That fact weighs very heavily on our response.

Sadiq Khan hints there is still hope for Uber in London
"But hopefully we can see a path forward now with TfL where we can address their concerns and continue to operate."

Some 3.5 million passengers use the Uber app to hail rides in London, and more than 850,000 people have signed a petition calling for its licence to be renewed.

Mr Byrne said Uber was taking part in a working party with the Metropolitan Police to develop a new policy for dealing with complaints of sexual harassment.

"We previously said it is the choice for anyone who wants to make the allegation whether they report it or not," he explained.

"The police have said to us that is not good enough, and we are making it a policy to change that."

He said Uber's technology, which allows it to identify drivers and track cars at all times during journeys, enabled the company to "be far more helpful in holding people to account with police investigations than a traditional private hire operator or taxi company".

And he said Uber was considering a policy which would block drivers from taking fares for more than 10-12 hours during a 24-hour period, in order to reduce the risk of them operating when too tired to drive safely.

Mr Byrne played down suggestions that self-employed drivers might lose their jobs to driverless cars in the near future, telling the committee: "A fleet with lots of human drivers will be the norm for 10 to 20 years, and that will continue to be the case in the UK".


Byrne lying or misleading the Committee "enabled the company to be far more helpful in holding people to account with police investigations than a traditional private hire operator or taxi company"
Again this guy proving they know nothing about this trade and holding themselves up to be better and whiter than white than operators who have been complying with the regulations since being 1st licensed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 39389
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
He said Uber's technology, which allows it to identify drivers and track cars at all times during journeys, enabled the company to "be far more helpful in holding people to account with police investigations than a traditional private hire operator or taxi company".

A majority, possibly a significant majority, of taxi/PH firms now have similar systems to that.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 39389
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
Mr Byrne played down suggestions that self-employed drivers might lose their jobs to driverless cars in the near future, telling the committee: "A fleet with lots of human drivers will be the norm for 10 to 20 years, and that will continue to be the case in the UK".

I'm glad someone asked him that question.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 6597
So that tory [edited by admin] Osborne is out to fill his boots as usual ...........................aint a Tory is HE :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

_________________
All posts by this contributor are made in a strictly personal capacity and as such should not be associated with any organisation whatsoever!

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.uK

VOTE CORBYN!!

JOIN A UNION


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am 
Online

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 1044
trotskys twin wrote:
So that tory [edited by admin] Osborne is out to fill his boots as usual ...........................aint a Tory is HE :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:




It would appear Cameron has joined the fill my boots mob,taken 3 days a month job with American credit card company with links to uber supposedly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 6597
heathcote wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:
So that tory [edited by admin] Osborne is out to fill his boots as usual ...........................aint a Tory is HE :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:




It would appear Cameron has joined the fill my boots mob,taken 3 days a month job with American credit card company with links to uber supposedly.



nah really how surprising #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

_________________
All posts by this contributor are made in a strictly personal capacity and as such should not be associated with any organisation whatsoever!

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.uK

VOTE CORBYN!!

JOIN A UNION


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 10195
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
it doesn't matter which party they belong to the end game is always to get a nice little earner as a "reward" for your public service

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group