Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am 

Hi, all.

Would like to know how efficient the job auto-allocation is with all the major dispatch systems. I have been informed that instead of a driver who is the closest to the pick-up location not been "offered" the job it will sometimes be allocated to a vehicle/driver who is perhaps 2 miles away from the pick-up point whereas the closest driver will be around the corner.
It is understood that this could happen for many reasons such as the closest driver being delayed etc.
However, would like to know if some systems are far superior to others.
Would also like to know if the dispatch system can be tailored/configured so that even if drivers are running slightly late the system will still offer the job to the closest even if it calculates that in doing so the taxi will be 5 minutes late past the booking time.
A taxi controller informs me that manually using the dispatch system is superior to auto-allocation but this to me defies the point of using one although the system he was using was a non-major, small unheard of system.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:43 pm 

Completely depends on how the system is set up.

Some dispatch closest car, some dispatch longest waiting, some a combination of the too.

Eg when no one is in the zone the job is in, should it go to bid, should it go to nearest car, is there back up zones set up and how do they work.

They will all do it but of course the operator says its terrible as it changes their job from the mighty dispatcher to a call handler, just answering calls.

When systems (all of them) are left to do what they are designed for, they all work well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 pm 

Meter_Man wrote:
Hi, all.

Would like to know how efficient the job auto-allocation is with all the major dispatch systems. I have been informed that instead of a driver who is the closest to the pick-up location not been "offered" the job it will sometimes be allocated to a vehicle/driver who is perhaps 2 miles away from the pick-up point whereas the closest driver will be around the corner.
It is understood that this could happen for many reasons such as the closest driver being delayed etc.
However, would like to know if some systems are far superior to others.
Would also like to know if the dispatch system can be tailored/configured so that even if drivers are running slightly late the system will still offer the job to the closest even if it calculates that in doing so the taxi will be 5 minutes late past the booking time.

It all depends on how much time, and how much sense is used, during the set up period.

In short the main auto dispatch and app systems can do almost anything you want in respect ups.

Meter_Man wrote:
A taxi controller informs me that manually using the dispatch system is superior to auto-allocation but this to me defies the point of using one although the system he was using was a non-major, small unheard of system.

Depends on the size of the fleet.

Also there is no reason why you can't combine both.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 am 

We have ours on auto 100% of the time, and just let it get on with its magic. The only jobs we mark for despatch are early mornings so that the jobs will reach specific drivers before the office opens. The system is set to send the car that can get there the soonest, they may not necessarily be the nearest at the time, although more often that not they are. Different rules can be applied at the flick of a switch alter this rule in favour of drivers longest clear during quieter shifts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 pm 

iCabbie will drag you 3 miles for a RTFC even though a car is dropping right outside the place where you are picking up and your passenger is waiting looking at that car dropping off thinking the Taxi is theirs. They'll get in and moan that a car dropped off and why didn't it pick them up?? I tell them to apply for a job in the office because they know how dish jobs out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:50 pm 

oh yesssssss

drop at a pub then see another empty car draw up to collect from where you are.........

base ops sitting on auto (idle)

waste of time/fuel but who cares?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:31 pm 

Meterman.

Back to the origional question and yes a good opperator will probably always be able to make better judgement calls than any automated system but it's a bit more involved than simply finding the nearest or best car for the job.

Virtually all systems employ some form of area stacking where each driver in a given area receives their work in turn and this ensures that all drivers get a fairer share of the work. If only the closest method were used, it would be entirely possible for a driver to receive no work for an entire shift, so a compromise has to be made to balance the needs of the driver with customer service. This balance relies more on careful setup than any limitation of the software although the finger is always pointed at the software when things go wrong.

As for the car that gets dragged 2 miles when there are several other cars on top of the job, well last week I set up a system where the auto would do exactly that! :shock: We try to advise on what we believe to be good setup practices but at the end of the day we have to bite our tongs and give the customer what they ask for.

Bill :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm 

Thanks for all your input. Seems the system definitely has to be set-up with much consideration needed to meet the drivers needs and the companies which is going to vary significantly with each taxi firm due to the variety of business models along with demographics and population dynamics etc.
It is hoped a lot of the big dispatch firms have the expertise to suggest the most efficient/practical settings to enable smooth operation of the system with minimal issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 pm 

Meter_Man wrote:
It is hoped a lot of the big dispatch firms have the expertise to suggest the most efficient/practical settings to enable smooth operation of the system with minimal issues.

A lot of them have expertise in fleecing taxi operators. :roll: :roll:

I would tell them what you want, and if they can't offer it try one that can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:02 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:
Meterman.

Back to the origional question and yes a good opperator will probably always be able to make better judgement calls than any automated system but it's a bit more involved than simply finding the nearest or best car for the job.

Virtually all systems employ some form of area stacking where each driver in a given area receives their work in turn and this ensures that all drivers get a fairer share of the work. If only the closest method were used, it would be entirely possible for a driver to receive no work for an entire shift, so a compromise has to be made to balance the needs of the driver with customer service. This balance relies more on careful setup than any limitation of the software although the finger is always pointed at the software when things go wrong.

As for the car that gets dragged 2 miles when there are several other cars on top of the job, well last week I set up a system where the auto would do exactly that! :shock: We try to advise on what we believe to be good setup practices but at the end of the day we have to bite our tongs and give the customer what they ask for.

2 miles only?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:07 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
bill_datamaster wrote:
Meterman.

2 miles only?

My thoughts too.