Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:28 pm 

Yes, they all sent me a message last week thanking me for my logical and plain thinking. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm 

Makes sense, your either insured for everywhere all of the time or your only insured everywhere for some of the time, you cant have vehicle insurance that only covers you only in certain areas of the UK...the only exemptions being it would be either for hire or reward, hire or reward and social use or simply social use or for commercial uses like sales reps or delivery vehicles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
A hackney carriage driver guilty of plying for hire outside of his licensing district cannot be found guilty of having no hire and reward insurance, if he has hire and reward insurance for his licensing area, as the insurance cover cannot be for one area only.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Adm ... /3597.html

Can anyone define what is meant in the postscript paragraph 45,
private hire licensing did not exist before 1976 except in Plymouth a year earlier the reference to going back to the 1847 Act is surely a mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:46 pm 

heathcote wrote:
Can anyone define what is meant in the postscript paragraph 45,
private hire licensing did not exist before 1976 except in Plymouth a year earlier the reference to going back to the 1847 Act is surely a mistake.

The loser asked to bring to the courts attention a late submission that PH should be insured locally only, the court said ok we will listen and then rejected the submission.

Clearly the legal rep made the 100 year thing up, and the court ignored him. Although PH existed unlicensed for a long time and maybe that's what he was alluding too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Makes sense, your either insured for everywhere all of the time or your only insured everywhere for some of the time, you cant have vehicle insurance that only covers you only in certain areas of the UK...the only exemptions being it would be either for hire or reward, hire or reward and social use or simply social use or for commercial uses like sales reps or delivery vehicles.
The Geneva convention of 1947 and subsequent EU laws provide that every motor vehicle in the EU and associated areas is covered for third party risks anywhere in those areas at all times.

In my particular case when I was operating private hire cars the insurance was for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, social, domestic, personal pleasure. No restrictions as to whether the driver had a ph or hackney licence as it is quite legal to carry for hire and reward going to/from weddings and funerals without a ph or taxi licence. The driver did however require the licence to drive such a vehicle; the insurance did not state that he needed a ph or taxi licence issued by a local authority. It is the car licence that gives authority to drive the vehicle on the road. The ph/taxi licence is an additional licence under the various taxi/ph Acts to carry passengers when the vehicle is being used as a licenced taxi or ph. It depends on the wording of the insurance policy.

I could have used my licenced ph car to pick up passengers on the street, yes I know it's illegal and I didn't do it, but I would have been insured to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

roythebus wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
The Geneva convention of 1947 and subsequent EU laws provide that every motor vehicle in the EU and associated areas is covered for third party risks anywhere in those areas at all times.

In my particular case when I was operating private hire cars the insurance was for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, social, domestic, personal pleasure. No restrictions as to whether the driver had a ph or hackney licence as it is quite legal to carry for hire and reward going to/from weddings and funerals without a ph or taxi licence. The driver did however require the licence to drive such a vehicle; the insurance did not state that he needed a ph or taxi licence issued by a local authority. It is the car licence that gives authority to drive the vehicle on the road. The ph/taxi licence is an additional licence under the various taxi/ph Acts to carry passengers when the vehicle is being used as a licenced taxi or ph. It depends on the wording of the insurance policy.

I could have used my licenced ph car to pick up passengers on the street, yes I know it's illegal and I didn't do it, but I would have been insured to do so.

Norwich union