Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm 

Council bans taxi driver for smoking in his car

A taxi driver in Grimsby had his licence revoked after he carried on smoking in his car despite multiple warnings. Smoke-free legislation introduced in 2007 requires all vehicles used to transport members of the public are to be smoke-free at all times.

All taxi drivers must comply with this legislation and not smoke in their vehicles at any time – including the use of e-cigarettes. If a licensed driver is seen smoking in their vehicle they are given a written warning on the first occasion. If a licensed driver is witnessed again, they can have their licence suspended or revoked if they continue to repeat the offence.

North East Lincolnshire revoked the driver’s licence after giving him a number of warnings and suspensions.

The driver, Raymond Robinson, 66, of Hainton Avenue, Grimsby, appeared before Grimsby Magistrates’ Court to appeal the decision but the Magistrates upheld the committee’s decision and agreed the revocation of his licence should stand. The case comes after a campaign to keep taxis in North East Lincolnshire smoke free had seen the number of warnings issued fall by more than half in only two years.

Cllr Gaynor Rogers, chair of the North East Lincolnshire Hackney Carriage Sub Committee, said: “We care about the health of taxi passengers and want them to have a journey of the highest standard. “The majority of licensed taxi drivers in North East Lincolnshire are committed to giving their customers a first class service, but in this instance the driver failed to meet the standards expected of them.

“We’ve made it clear to all drivers that smoking in their vehicles is not acceptable and I’m pleased the Magistrates have backed our decision and revoked the driver’s licence.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
A point I make almost daily to two of my drivers and 3 or 4 others including the boss of a rival firm but they still do it. The only way they will learn is to lose their license :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 pm 

edders23 wrote:
A point I make almost daily to two of my drivers and 3 or 4 others including the boss of a rival firm but they still do it. The only way they will learn is to lose their license :sad:

Or die from cancer. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Or die from cancer. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

far less likely

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 am 

edders23 wrote:

With respect Edders, If you have 2 drivers who smoke in their cars on a daily basis, why are you still using them? You can take action yourself without waiting for the Council.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 am 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

With respect Edders, If you have 2 drivers who smoke in their cars on a daily basis, why are you still using them? You can take action yourself without waiting for the Council.
because I don't get customer
Complaints and as they are self-employed it's their choice whether to take the risk or not of getting caught

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 am 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Complaints and as they are self-employed it's their choice whether to take the risk or not of getting caught

Of course, if that was an Uber statement then some would be all over it like a rash.

But presumably they're HCs so you don't have any responsibility for them via an operator's licence?

Of course, that's another interesting loophole that's never really mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Of course, if that was an Uber statement then some would be all over it like a rash.

But presumably they're HCs so you don't have any responsibility for them via an operator's licence?

yes hackney and owns his own car

the point is that one of the drivers has been with me 20 years and if I was to sack him over this within 1 hour the bosses of every other taxi firm in town would be knocking on his door as he is the most popular best liked driver in town. Why ruin a perfectly good working relationship over what is a minor issue ?

HE IS GENUINELY SELF EMPLOYED THEREFORE IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO OBEY THE LAW !!

I DO NOT LEGALLY HAVE THE RIGHT OR POWER TO FORCE THE ISSUE I JUST WISH HE WOULD LISTEN TO SOUND ADVICE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:11 pm 

But even so, you could be responsible as the one who aids and abets his breaking of the law, the same as if he jumped a red light or used excessive speed on your instruction.The law is the law regardless. If you or him disobeys that law, hat other laws will you or him disobey when it suits you? Is he on your operators licence or his own?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm 

edders23 wrote:

the point is that one of the drivers has been with me 20 years and if I was to sack him over this within 1 hour the bosses of every other taxi firm in town would be knocking on his door as he is the most popular best liked driver in town. Why ruin a perfectly good working relationship over what is a minor issue ?

HE IS GENUINELY SELF EMPLOYED THEREFORE IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO OBEY THE LAW !!

I DO NOT LEGALLY HAVE THE RIGHT OR POWER TO FORCE THE ISSUE I JUST WISH HE WOULD LISTEN TO SOUND ADVICE

Why is it a minor issue? It is against the law and that is that. Knowing that he smokes in the car and still using him is wrong. How far does a driver have to go before you stop using them? careless driving? Dangerous driving? Driving whilst disqualified? Carrying more passengers than the license permits? Overcharging customers?
Where do you draw the line with breaking the law?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 pm 

edders23 wrote:
StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Are you fit and proper knowing that he is breaking the law.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm 

the point is this happens in every town and city in the land on a daily basis and i'm sure you ALL also have colleagues that do it.

The answer is not to cut off your nose to spite your face but to educate people to understand it is no longer acceptable to do it something I do try and do

There is only one driver round here that allows passengers to smoke in the car (one of spaceshuttle 1's not one of mine) that I would consider grounds for terminating their contract but if you are suggesting I am not fit and proper then EVERY company owner in the UK is probably the same as I doubt there are many if any firms that don't have at least one driver that smokes in their car. Putting them out of work is NOT the answer educating them is

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm 

edders23 wrote:
the point is this happens in every town and city in the land on a daily basis and i'm sure you ALL also have colleagues that do it.

The answer is not to cut off your nose to spite your face but to educate people to understand it is no longer acceptable to do it something I do try and do

There is only one driver round here that allows passengers to smoke in the car (one of spaceshuttle 1's not one of mine) that I would consider grounds for terminating their contract but if you are suggesting I am not fit and proper then EVERY company owner in the UK is probably the same as I doubt there are many if any firms that don't have at least one driver that smokes in their car. Putting them out of work is NOT the answer educating them is

Our drivers have been told that if we find any evidence that they have been smoking in the car then they will not be using our cars or getting any work from us. They know we mean it so they don't do it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Well why do you not educate him or are you just like the majority of operators, only interested in the £s he pays you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm 

heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Well why do you not educate him or are you just like the majority of operators, only interested in the £s he pays you.

I am and we have got one of the drivers to attempt to give up the other does normally get out of the vehicle to smoke but if it's their own vehicle they are smoking in you can hardly take it off them whereas Pete owns his vehicles and therefore can enforce no smoking rules