Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: compliance and MOT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:13 pm 

Some of our drivers are saying that if you use your cab for non business ie going on holiday that you need an MOT.

We have compliance certificates, I thought these were in place of an MOT and as long as you had SDP insurance you could use your cab for personal use without an MOT when not working.
Apparantly one of our drivers got stopped by the police when on holiday and was told if it's not being used as a taxi it needs an MOT, even though it was a licenced vehicle being driven by a licenced driver and had a compliance certificate.

My view is if that's the case then you can't drive the vehicle at all unless you are working or have an MOT, would make no difference if you're off on a weeks holiday or just nipping to the shop on your day off ! That can't be right. How many cabbies with compliance certificates use the vehicle for personal use ? I bet not many have an additional MOT - Do they need one though ?

What's the law say ?

Post subject: Re: compliance and MOT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:18 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It counts because you would not be able to get road tax other wise BUT as i found out to my cost INSURANCE COMPANIES do not see them as valid so if you have a vehicle written off they knock about 10 percent off the value for no MOT even if it is going for scrap !!!!!!!!!

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 pm 

edders23 wrote:
It counts because you would not be able to get road tax other wise BUT as i found out to my cost INSURANCE COMPANIES do not see them as valid so if you have a vehicle written off they knock about 10 percent off the value for no MOT even if it is going for scrap !!!!!!!!!

A TAXI may be exempt from an M.O.T. but a private hire vehicle can not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:51 pm 

OOPs..wrong post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:55 pm 

sasha wrote:
Some of our drivers are saying that if you use your cab for non business ie going on holiday that you need an MOT.

Nonsense.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:57 pm 

sasha wrote:
Apparantly one of our drivers got stopped by the police when on holiday and was told if it's not being used as a taxi it needs an MOT, even though it was a licenced vehicle being driven by a licenced driver and had a compliance certificate.

Compliance certificates absolutely bamboozle the police.

Most haven't a clue they exist, and the ones who know they exist haven't a clue what the rules are.

Sec 44 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act relates to the vehicle, not to the use of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm 

the DVLA site doesnt register a compliance check so if the car is unmarked/plates/signs you can expect a tug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm 

heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

A TAXI may be exempt from an M.O.T. but a private hire vehicle can not.

Oh yes it can..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm 

You can get both at the same time...we just pay a fiver for the mot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:04 pm 

MR T wrote:
Not at our council depot. They'll do the compliance test and charge for it, then if you want an MOT they'll do a full test again and charge the going rate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
the DVLA site doesnt register a compliance check so if the car is unmarked/plates/signs you can expect a tug
When they were first introduced the local plod were unaware (maybe their systems were'nt up to date) but after the first few weeks no problems.

Over the years must have passed thousands of ANPR cameras and police cars around the country, never been stopped. Does it flag up on the coppers in-car ANPR as no MOT - and they just look and think 'oh its a taxi, has compliance' and ignore, or does the ANPR not give an indication ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm 

So in short, if you have a compliance certificate on a taxi/ph, and that vehicle is currently licenced you DO NOT need an MOT when the vehicle is being used for non-taxi related use ie driving on holiday ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm 

sasha wrote:
So in short, if you have a compliance certificate on a taxi/ph, and that vehicle is currently licenced you DO NOT need an MOT when the vehicle is being used for non-taxi related use ie driving on holiday ?

Get the wife to book you for 2 weeks then you will be safe, :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 pm 

sasha wrote:
MR T wrote:
Not at our council depot. They'll do the compliance test and charge for it, then if you want an MOT they'll do a full test again and charge the going rate.

You need to sort that out.....