Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GDPR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
One thing I read today is that although as originally proposed businesses with fewer than 250 staff were not having to do this in actuality everyone has to; even if you are a one man band you have to appoint a data protection officer :shock:

So if you are a window cleaner and you have a little notebook with details of your customers in it etc. you have to employ a data protection officer so that if you lose it he can shop you to the data protection office which the government has to set up :roll:

and sadly Brexit or not we have to all comply with this

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: GDPR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm 

and we have to ask every customer for permission to record their address details so we can pick them up and offer them the right to delete that info on request which is interesting because my understanding is that it is required by law to maintain FULL records for council inspection but now we have to allow customers the right to delete any records of their journeys under GDPR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 am 

[quote="edders23"]my understanding is that it is required by law to maintain FULL records for council inspection/[quote]
Isn't that for Private Hire operators.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 am 

I'm Guessing that Mr Edders is trying to scare the Crap out of you all Pre April 1st as his postscript would suggest.

But this is what the GDPR says on the matter:

Does my business need to appoint a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?
DPOs must be appointed in the case of: (a) public authorities, (b) organizations that engage in large scale systematic monitoring, or (c) organizations that engage in large scale processing of sensitive personal data (Art. 37). If your organization doesn’t fall into one of these categories, then you do not need to appoint a DPO

So Unless your a Large Company processing large amounts of information like Addison lee or UBER then I'd say your quite safe...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:48 am 

bloodnock wrote:
I'm Guessing that Mr Edders is trying to scare the Crap out of you all Pre April 1st as his postscript would suggest.

But this is what the GDPR says on the matter:

Does my business need to appoint a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?
DPOs must be appointed in the case of: (a) public authorities, (b) organizations that engage in large scale systematic monitoring, or (c) organizations that engage in large scale processing of sensitive personal data (Art. 37). If your organization doesn’t fall into one of these categories, then you do not need to appoint a DPO

So Unless your a Large Company processing large amounts of information like Addison lee or UBER then I'd say your quite safe...

Perhaps those taking card details for paying fare or pr-paid fare fall into this category.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:11 pm 

When we installed cctv I registered as the data protection officer for our company. A very quick and simple job for a small annual fee.
And as the post from Bloodnock states, you appoint someone, you don't have to employ someone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 pm 

An Extract from this site:

https://www.warnergoodman.co.uk/news/general-data-protection-regulation-the-new-obligations-for-consent-and-what-these-will-mean-for-businesses

"The additional caveat of the consent needing to be ‘freely given’ prevents businesses from relying on consent that is provided in situations where there is a clear imbalance between the parties. An example of which would be where a business makes a service conditional upon consent. In this instance any consent from the individual would not be considered freely given, except where such processing of information was necessary for the service, an example of which would be the need for a taxi company to have the name and address of an individual in order to be able to send a taxi.

An additional hurdle that the GDPR has added is the need for the consent to be specific to each data processing purpose. This means that the consent can only be used for the specific purpose for which it was given. This additional requirement for specificity means that businesses will no longer be able to sell contact lists without permission from all the contacts on the list and buyers may not be willing to buy the lists as, to use them, they would need to obtain consent from each individual. It does however also create some bizarre scenarios. For example a situation in which information would normally be passed to 3rd parties for genuine reasons, to use the previous example, from a taxi company onto the taxi drivers would technically require consent to be obtained several times, ultimately for the same objective. Fortunately, there are some exceptions within the GDPR that allow for consent to be overlooked which includes instances where the processing of information is necessary for the performance of a contract of which the individual is a party."

Now that Implies to me that because we don't request personal information for any other reason other than to to Know a Clients name and Pick up address is essential to finding the client then we are exempt of the GDPR Data Processing and Data Controller section of this new legislation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:23 am 

I think as far as I can ascertain though the issue is not so much collecting data it is the security of it and preventing disclosure via hacking that is the most worrying aspect if you get hacked you would probably have to write to every address you have ever picked up from.

I also have summised that from the definition of "data" that if you use booking and dispatch software then that data is defined under the GDPR regulations as data which could lead to the identification of an individual

Now as some on here have stated many of these dispatch software companies have in the past disclosed driver and customer data to the inland revenue without the knowledge or consent of drivers or customers or possibly even the business who entered up that data into the system. In an instance like that could a business using that software become liable under GDPR ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:54 am 

My PH booking and Despatch system is still a good old fashioned Hardbacked Desk Diary, not very easily hacked.

I think they have also realised that you cant run a lengthy and easily read Data Protection Agreement by your customer each and every time they book a Taxi or a Hack.

It's truly amazing that when small companies struggle to make a profit these days that the EU's fat Jabba the Hutts living like kings come up with such draconian personal detail protectionism regulations that will cripple the small operators and make no difference to the sleazy way the global corporations behave.

And all this from an EU that stores and demands more personal information from and about you by the day and who are more secretive in their motives than any business ever could be.

We can't leave the EU soon enough in my book, and this is the very type of business destroying legislation we need to unpick in order to give us an advantage over the EU after we go.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:40 am 

I don't recall the EU ever asking for my personal information. The UK government ask for far too much personal information that I've heard is quite easily open to hacking.

Last week I even had a letter from one of the private parking companies demanding a penalty charge for parking, and that included the sort of means test document you'd get in a magistrates court. Needless to say I told them where to go. The demand and the parking ticket got withdrawn.

Under the new legislation it will be interesting to see how companies like Facebook, Google and Cambridge Analytica perform.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 pm 

My PH booking and Despatch system is still a good old fashioned Hardbacked Desk Diary, not very easily hacked.

but it is covered under this law if it was stolen you are liable for failing to prevent the loss of data

all data is covered whether on computer or on paper both employee and customer :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 pm 

edders23 wrote:

but it is covered under this law if it was stolen you are liable for failing to prevent the loss of data

all data is covered whether on computer or on paper both employee and customer :wink:

Looks Like Taxis and PH are exempt..thats how the article reads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:07 pm 

No as I read it we are exempt from the asking permission thing but not from the rest of it. Every place you look seems to be a different interpretation

today I got an email from a charitable organisation I am a member of telling me that unless I fill out a form and "opt in" my details will be deleted from their database and I will no longer receive the quarterly magazine

I think for customer data as long as they are placing an order that is OK but driver data we will still need to get permission to retain their details on file. I have decided to remove any files from my computer containing driver information. I don't think legally i have to retain records of their home address do I ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:05 pm 

edders23 wrote:
No as I read it we are exempt from the asking permission thing but not from the rest of it. Every place you look seems to be a different interpretation

today I got an email from a charitable organisation I am a member of telling me that unless I fill out a form and "opt in" my details will be deleted from their database and I will no longer receive the quarterly magazine

I think for customer data as long as they are placing an order that is OK but driver data we will still need to get permission to retain their details on file. I have decided to remove any files from my computer containing driver information. I don't think legally i have to retain records of their home address do I ?

Just me and the Missus drives for me so no driver details.

I think the fear factor is coming from those legals and web designers trying to frighten us into buying a policy or protection plan we really don't need.

I don't think we'll be in much trouble unless we do something stupid and release private Information on somebody,

I really cant think I've ever had anyone come back to me and ask me to remove their Personal details from my books.

As far as I can see it's not the not having of a GDPR policy that will affect us but being caught inadvertently releasing it to a third party without it's owners consent..that seems to be the punishable crime.

I now have nothing on my PC that has Personal Information on it, I even binned my Emails with any form of Customer Names on them, my few invoiced personal accounts are backed up away from the PC so can't be hacked.

If that's not enough then this nonsense will destroy the livelyhoods of Hundreds of thousands of small UK Business's who just can't afford to meet the GDPR criteria.

Though what I read it's not the wee man they are looking for, It's the bigger boys making money from selling or losing your Information..the kind of personal information that many Local authorities and government bodies lose with alarming regularity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 pm 

The info that government and local councils sell,example voting register.