Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 am 

Taken from the 1976 act.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of the Act of 1847, a district council may demand and recover for the grant to any person of a licence to drive a hackney carriage, or a private hire vehicle, as the case may be, such a fee as they consider reasonable with a view to recovering the costs of issue and administration and may remit the whole or part of the fee in respect of a private hire vehicle in any case in which they think it appropriate to do so.

Does this mean that the Council can only have the money if they grant the license or can they keep the money to cover administration if they refuse to grant the license?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am 

grandad wrote:
Taken from the 1976 act.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of the Act of 1847, a district council may demand and recover for the grant to any person of a licence to drive a hackney carriage, or a private hire vehicle, as the case may be, such a fee as they consider reasonable with a view to recovering the costs of issue and administration and may remit the whole or part of the fee in respect of a private hire vehicle in any case in which they think it appropriate to do so.

Does this mean that the Council can only have the money if they grant the license or can they keep the money to cover administration if they refuse to grant the license?

come on, its bleedin obvious......... you never get anything back

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 pm 

grandad wrote:

There is a case on here somewhere which answers your question, but I can't remember which one it is or when it was, or what the decision was.

Looking at google it appears most councils don't offer a refund, and a few offer some of it.