Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:19 pm 

From North East Derbyshire Council's website:

https://www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/index. ... alam-court

A taxi driver who undertook 208 journeys whilst his licence was suspended has been fined £1,450 and faces a ban from driving.

Intikhab Alam, (47) of Joshua Road, Sheffield has held a private hire vehicle drivers licence with the Council since February 2016 and in line with our policy at the 18-month (half way) point of the licence he was required to submit information enabling a check of his DVLA driving licence to take place.

Three reminders were sent by post last summer, but Alam failed to respond, so we suspended his PHV driver's licence on 15 August until 29 August 2017 at which time the DVLA licence check had been undertaken.

It was then alleged that Alam had carried on working as a taxi driver despite being suspended. Council officials obtained his Operator's records and they confirmed that he undertook 208 journeys whilst suspended, all of which were therefore unlicensed.

When interviewed Mr Alam admitted undertaking the journeys and that his insurance would have been invalid because his licence was suspended.

Eight sample offences from the 208 journeys undertaken were issued for prosecution at Northern Derbyshire Magistrates Court in Chesterfield - four counts of driving a private hire vehicle without a licence and four of driving with no insurance.

In sentencing the Magistrates noted that he had undertaken the journeys knowingly, despite his licence suspension and for payment. Taking into account his guilty pleas he was sentenced to fines totalling £1,000, plus legal costs of £350 and a victims’ fund surcharge of £100 (total payable £1450). He was also issued with eight penalty points for each of the four insurance offences, leaving him facing disqualification from driving as a result.

Having heard an application for leniency based on exceptional hardship the Magistrates decided the offences merited a driving ban of six-weeks.

Councillor Graham Baxter MBE, Council Leader said, “This is a case of blatant disregard for the law. To carry on driving, especially when you are responsible for other people is an absolute disgrace and we are delighted with both the level of the fine and the disqualification from driving. Let this be a warning to others that unless you adhere to the procedures in place, we will use the full weight of the law against you.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:14 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
sounds like this is someone who needs barring from our trade PERMANENTLY

another argument for the national database

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 pm 

StuartW wrote:
He was also issued with eight penalty points for each of the four insurance offences, leaving him facing disqualification from driving as a result.

Wasn't it put on here a while back that only the highest points offense counts when totting up which would mean 8 points and not 32.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 pm 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
He was also issued with eight penalty points for each of the four insurance offences, leaving him facing disqualification from driving as a result.

Wasn't it put on here a while back that only the highest points offense counts when totting up which would mean 8 points and not 32.

Correct, and incorrect.

Correct if the points all occur at the same time/event.

Incorrect if the points occur at different times/events.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:

Correct, and incorrect.

Ah, got it. if i have 4 illegal tyres and get caught once I get 3 points for each but it only counts as 3 for totting up. But if i have one illegal tyre and I get caught 4 times it is still 12 points but it counts as 12 for totting up.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:46 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:

Correct, and incorrect.

Ah, got it. if i have 4 illegal tyres and get caught once I get 3 points for each but it only counts as 3 for totting up. But if i have one illegal tyre and I get caught 4 times it is still 12 points but it counts as 12 for totting up.

Surely you’d never have bald tyres grandad ? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:39 pm 

I assume he worked for a firm if so surely that firm should loose
its operators license for dispatching him jobs.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm 

grandad wrote: