Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gig economy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:37 pm 

After the landmark case yesterday with the plumper wining the right to be employed. How will this work out for the small private hire companys
That have drivers in there cars with there logo and only doing work from there datahead working on 50% commission Like most private hire companys i know. Will they have to start to employ there drivers. So when the cabs parked up in the yard for 2 weeks and the drivers sitting on a beach somewhere getting £800 paid into there bank account most companies couldn't afford this so goodby drivers

Post subject: Re: Gig economy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 pm 

perry wrote:
After the landmark case yesterday with the plumper wining the right to be employed. How will this work out for the small private hire companys
That have drivers in there cars with there logo and only doing work from there datahead working on 50% commission Like most private hire companys i know. Will they have to start to employ there drivers. So when the cabs parked up in the yard for 2 weeks and the drivers sitting on a beach somewhere getting £800 paid into there bank account most companies couldn't afford this so goodby drivers

Holiday pay does not have to be paid at the time of the holiday. We pay all holiday pay in the month that it is accrued. For example our month is from the 1st to what ever the last day of the month is. During that month the employee may work X no of hours and accrue Y hours holiday pay so we will pay yhem both X and Y in their pay packet for that month. This way lessens the impact of having several people all off at the same time and the heavy holiday pay that could be due.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:27 pm 

So with that case being won yesterday
Do you think all private hire companys with have to employ there driver's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 pm 

perry wrote:

Not according to the reports. It will be decided on the merits of each case as they come before the courts unless the Government change the law.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm 

perry wrote:
No. It depends on how much 'control' they have over their daily working routine.
If they let drivers do their own thing - to a large degree, then there's no problem. If on the other hand they are told to do everything by the company then yes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm 

In Sefton/Liverpool the ph companies have been preparing for this for at least 10 years. Company owned cars have been done away with in most places a long time ago. What you have now are garages that own ph vehicles and rent them out to drivers (vehicle and insurance) who can then choose which ph company they wish to go with. Some garages have 2, 3 or 4 hundred vehicles rented out this way. I think, but I may be wrong, that Delta has another company that rents cars out in this way, so drivers are having a choice which I think takes them out of the equation, but I might be wrong again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm 

And what influence to some degree or other do the firms have over;

Car colour,
Hours,
Shifts,
Prices,
Discounts,
Uniform,
Vehicle type,
Vehicle age,
Work zones (plotting areas),
Customer complaints,
Imposing fines/penalties,
Ability to accept/return jobs without penalty (including time penalties),
???

The more they insist on, the more likely you are an employee. One or two they can get away with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 am 

The bus company I work for on a zero-hours contract pays holiday pay on a daily basis based on an approved formula of something like 10% of the hourly rate. So the evening rate of say £18 an hour becomes about £20/hour, but holiday pay is shown separately on the payslip.