Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: exclusive hotel work
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:50 pm 

We received this email. I read through the form and the terms and conditions and couldn't believe what I was reading. You had to either have a free phone installed, supplied by them but paid for by us or use a thing called a taxi butler which would be linked to our booking system. I sent an email back politely declining their kind offer. It will be interesting to see if any other company just fills in the form without reading the conditions because we are the only company in town with a proper booking system in use. the rest just still use pen and paper or just remember their calls.
Oh and of course they wanted us to give a staff discount.

Dear Sirs,

This is your invitation to tender for the exclusive taxi contract for:

Premier Inn MELTON MOWBRAY and The Kitchen, 5 Norman Way Melton Mowbray LE13 1JE
Closing date: 4pm 11/09/2018

You are invited to tender to secure the exclusive taxi contract for the above venue for an initial period of 1 year. If successful, this may be extended by a further 2 years.

If you win this tender, you will be awarded sole and exclusive rights. No other taxi companies will be allowed to advertise their services at the venue.
Staff will call only your company when customers ask them to book a taxi.

This contract will generate a large number of high quality bookings - including airport runs - and will help you to recruit drivers from your competitors.
If you would like to bid for the contract, please follow the link below and complete the online tender process. Please have electronic versions of your Hackney or Private Hire Operator's Licence and relevant insurance documents to hand:

tender form

Please note that the highest tender may not necessarily win the contract - other information you provide on the customer information form will also be taken into consideration.

If you have any questions or need assistance with your tender, please call XXXXXX XXXXXX on XXXXX XXXXXX.

Yours faithfully

Post subject: Re: exclusive hotel work
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 pm 

I think in the big towns/cities this is common place.

Taxi butlers are just signs with a button and mike to book from.

Why didn't you just tender a tenner?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:

We couldn't handle the terms and conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 am 

Sounds like the same sort of system used in hospitals and supermarket, pay a fortune for a phone line and get very little in return.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:58 am 

We would tell them to stick it. From experience of a hotel contract some years ago, they start to think that they own you.Cheap fares are expecting andgod help you when you can't provide a straight away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:28 am 

I get my Hotel work on merit and not on what discount their staff get, rather make you think it's more about cheap staff transport than quality of service for their hotel clients.

If they want you and they urgently need you then they'll call you....you don't need a one sided contract to supply them with a service.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 am 

The supermarkets have all tried it here as well. So far no one has ever put a tender in for any of them. We are the largest firm in the town and we wouldn't be able to handle the expected work so none of the others could. We all just leave it to the places to ring round and book who is available at the time. That way we all get a share of the work and no one falls out. I have checked our stats for pick up at this hotel for last year and we did 149 jobs from there and only one was an airport job and that was last week. most of the work from there is taking people to weddings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
we have a few of these round here and they aren't worth it there just isn't enough work comes off them to justify the expense and on top of that those that have shelled out find an extremely high no pick up rate :wink:

At one point we had a phone in Somerfields before it was sold to Waitrose we maybe got 3 to 5 calls a week at a cost of 80p a call

1-2-3 sweetie shops and benefit cabs have all the others and they are welcome to them

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:

weve got them here in almost all the city hotels,no mikes,were in the 21st century now,customer just presses the button,is given a booking number on the display,and when the job is dispatched the cabs call sign appears on the display,they actually work very well in a big city,saving time by call takers and telephonists answering calls and entering jobs into the system, its instantaneous with the taxi butler,dont know anything about having to tender for it though,as i said we have them in loads of hotels,and student halls,major office blocks etc etc, works great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 am 

one of the problems seems to be that the customer just orders the cab without stating the destination. In a small town like ours we probably don't have cars available to immediately go more than a couple of miles so if we were to turn up and the customer wanted to go to an airport we couldn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:57 am 

roythebus wrote:
Sounds like the same sort of system used in hospitals and supermarket, pay a fortune for a phone line and get very little in return.

In our local Hospital it's £5K a year.