Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
grandad wrote:
That would inevitably lead to a return to the violence of the 70s and 80s.

Let them have it, it's no good to us, it's just a money pit.

The mainland got a lot of bombing as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 pm 

grandad wrote:

I know it did, Maggie would never have negotiated with terrorists.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
grandad wrote:

I know it did, Maggie would never have negotiated with terrorists.

Do you really want to risk going back to that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:23 pm 

grandad wrote:
Do you really want to risk going back to that?

Give them the North and let them get on with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
So now apparently the government are asking every tom dick and carney to wildly speculate on what Brexit might mean

So out government haven't a clue after how many months ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

how on earth did this mob of thick losers get into power

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 pm 

edders23 wrote:
So now apparently the government are asking every tom dick and carney to wildly speculate on what Brexit might mean

With respect, Every single proposal that has been put forward has been knocked back by the EU. I very much doubt that any other party would have had any better success either. The EU have knocked back everything without putting any proposals forward themselves. Maybe you have some ideasthat you would like to share with us?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

With respect, Every single proposal that has been put forward has been knocked back by the EU. I very much doubt that any other party would have had any better success either. The EU have knocked back everything without putting any proposals forward themselves. Maybe you have some ideasthat you would like to share with us?

The best idea is to tell negotiations are finished,you the EU are getting nowt,they will back with the begging bowl quicker than grandad can supply a car.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:16 pm 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

The best idea is to tell negotiations are finished,you the EU are getting nowt,they will back with the begging bowl quicker than grandad can supply a car.

I voted to remain but respect the decision and with the way the EU are responding to every proposal I agree with you. Just tell them that we have tried and we now give up. It may cause a few problems in the short term but how on earth did we manage before we joined and how on earth do countries who are not in the EU manage?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 pm 

We will be fine.

There is a big old world out there that we can sell to, for no other reason than they want to sell to us.

As for the shortage of staff, well once again there is a big old world out there with billions of people.

As for the financial companies packing their bags and going to Paris or Frankfurt, not in a million years.

The City of London finances Europe, that will never change.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:54 am 

how about

give EU a document detailing our no deal strategy which might include the following

1) 25 percent tariffs on imported cars, wine and spirits,industrial machinery
2) Bank of england changing it's policy intervening in currency markets to ensure £/Euro balance favours UK
3) zero contributions to EU
4) restrictions on free movement of people I.E. no job no entry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 am 

edders23 wrote:
how about

give EU a document detailing our no deal strategy which might include the following

2) Bank of england changing it's policy intervening in currency markets to ensure £/Euro balance favours UK

I think you misunderstand the concept of no deal. If it comes to the point of leaving with "no deal" then WTO rules come into force. We have no more say in what happens than the EU. We basically start from scratch with the whole of the world.That does not mean thate trade stops, it means if there is a standard tarriff set by the WTO then that tariff will apply to all business that the UK does with everyone until such time as any trade deals are struck, not forgetting that until we have left, we are not allowed to even discuss trade deals with other countries.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:54 am 

edders23 wrote:

Bad as they are the alternative is even worse.....and that's because for years they have had almost Bugger all to do because the EU has been calling all the shots, now our MP's and MSP's are getting feart that they are going to start working for a living again because they have lost the core skills involved in running a country.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
how about

I think you misunderstand the concept of no deal. If it comes to the point of leaving with "no deal" then WTO rules come into force. We have no more say in what happens than the EU. We basically start from scratch with the whole of the world.That does not mean thate trade stops, it means if there is a standard tarriff set by the WTO then that tariff will apply to all business that the UK does with everyone until such time as any trade deals are struck, not forgetting that until we have left, we are not allowed to even discuss trade deals with other countries.

The point I was making is that the EU has to understand that no deal is bad for them and the best way to do that is to offer them a vision of what no deal might mean for them and Donald trumps new tariffs apply to countries trading under WTO rules so surely we can set our own.

Theresa may is trying to cherry pick a deal that suits all of our MP's which the EU resents and has already said is unworkable so lets offer them an even worse outcome and see what they might offer us as a potential deal that they will accept otherwise we could be forced to accept a deal which is heavily weighted in favour of EU businesses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:31 am 

edders23 wrote:

The point I was making is that the EU has to understand that no deal is bad for them and the best way to do that is to offer them a vision of what no deal might mean for them and Donald trumps new tariffs apply to countries trading under WTO rules so surely we can set our own.

Theresa may is trying to cherry pick a deal that suits all of our MP's which the EU resents and has already said is unworkable so lets offer them an even worse outcome and see what they might offer us as a potential deal that they will accept otherwise we could be forced to accept a deal which is heavily weighted in favour of EU businesses

Firstly, one of the rules of article 50 is that the country leaving cant start negotiating trade deals with other countries until they have actually left. At the point of leaving we can start negotiations on other trade deals but not before.
Secondly, in case you haven't noticed the EU have not put any proposals on the table of what they would like to see come out of the deal. We put proposals forward and they knock them back until we actually propose something that they agree with. There seems to be no compromise from the EU side. I think it would be very foolish to "threaten" them with anything that wont happen. I think they are well aware of the implications of a no deal. I also believe that a no deal will harm the EU more than it will harm us in the long run so I expect that at some point the EU will change their stance.

The best answer to the Irish border, and the only real way of sorting it, would be to convince the Republic to also leave the EU and the only way that it will happen is if we make a very quick success of things after we leave.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:51 pm 

The best answer to the Irish border, and the only real way of sorting it, would be to convince the Republic to also leave the EU and the only way that it will happen is if we make a very quick success of things after we leave.

On that i agree with you