Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm 

05:45 this morning I get a job to an address which is a wait and return. Out comes one lad who looks like he could do with a bath and smelt like he's been sleeping with dogs.

Off we set to South Normanton to pick his drugs up and come back to Sutton. On the way back he's on the phone to someone in the house where I picked him up from saying something about his bank card. Alarm bells started to ring but hey ho I'm on my way back. When we got back to the house he said "I'll be back I'm just going to get my bank card." He came back out and shown me the bank card which was cracked in the middle and across the chip on the card. He was adament it would work in the machine but it didn't.

I aked him for the card to run through the Card Payment machine by inputting the numbers using "Card Holder not present." Thats when I noticed the card was in a womans name and like magic the card came back "declined." I tried to run it through over the radio via the office staff but it was still coming back declined. By this time he's in ASDA Petrol station messing around so I go in and ask him why has this card got a womans name on it? He tried to make a run for it so I got him on the deck while the staff phoned the Police.

The Police turned up and asked me what had gone off? I expalined that he'd been for and paid for drugs but didn't have any money to pay for the fare and he was trying to use a card in a womans name which was coming back declined.

Here's the killer, the police can't do anything about the "non payment of fare" but, they will charge him for trying to use a card that isn't his.

Coppers eh?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm 

You're lucky to ven get a copper these days. They can and ought to do him for obtaining a service with no means to pay for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

Surely it’s an offence under either section 11 of the fraud act 2006 or bilking which is section 3 of the theft act 1968 ?

I carry a copy of both in the cab at all times to remind police officers of their duty. ( and powers!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm 

roythebus wrote:
You're lucky to ven get a copper these days. They can and ought to do him for obtaining a service with no means to pay for it.

But he did intend to pay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:50 pm 

MR T wrote:
roythebus wrote:

But he did intend to pay

When he tried to do a runner it became bilking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 pm 

It was on the news last night that Derbyshire police wont come out to making off without payment from petrol stations. They said that the fuel should be paid for up front and then it wouldn't happen.
maybe it is time we had a national campaign to have this in taxis. We must be the only transporter of passengers that don't get fares up front.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:44 am 

grandad wrote:
It was on the news last night that Derbyshire police wont come out to making off without payment from petrol stations. They said that the fuel should be paid for up front and then it wouldn't happen.
maybe it is time we had a national campaign to have this in taxis. We must be the only transporter of passengers that don't get fares up front.

That's correct due to them being short staffed.......if they employed proper coppers instead of the chocolate coppers AKA PCSO's they might be able to respond to crimes.

A mate of mine had his garage (business) and house screwed over, they took £10K from his business then they hit his house and took jewelry and other stuff, that was back in August and the police haven't been out yet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:

But then we couldn't meter fares :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 pm 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:

But then we couldn't meter fares :wink:
Of course you can if the rules are changed so that you can ask for either a deposit or a sum of money that will cover the cost with change being given at the end of the journey. Or it could be paid by a pre authorised credit/debit card with the fare being entered at the end of the journey.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 pm 

Glad I only do schools and posh folk now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 am 

roythebus wrote:

I didn't ring them ASDA Service Station Staff rang them because I was inside the shop.

MR T wrote:
But he did intend to pay

No because the card wasn't in his name.

x-ray wrote:
Surely it’s an offence under either section 11 of the fraud act 2006 or bilking which is section 3 of the theft act 1968 ?

Yes it is.

wannabeeahack wrote:
Glad I only do schools and posh folk now

Keep it that way it's easier.