Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dash info
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:00 am 

'Risk of filter blocking ' info came up on the dash tonight E7,anybody had it before?

Post subject: Re: Dash info
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:20 pm 

rayggb wrote:
'Risk of filter blocking ' info came up on the dash tonight E7,anybody had it before?

Air or DPF?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
rayggb wrote:

Air or DPF?
Or oil or fuel ?
Something to do with filling fuel to brim and the charcoal filter ? Did it happen just after filling up ? Just guessing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:26 pm 

Gave it a blast down the motorway last night and and it's disappeared today but I haven't done many miles today.wonder if it's because I put Sainsbury's diesel in the other day rather than the usual shell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 am 

rayggb wrote:
Gave it a blast down the motorway last night and and it's disappeared today but I haven't done many miles today.wonder if it's because I put Sainsbury's diesel in the other day rather than the usual shell.

A blast down the Motorway in 4th will warm it up and get rid of the shizzle. Doing town work all day does them now good at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

Definitely DPF, stick some v-power and/or injector cleaner and give it a blast as others have mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm 

The blast down the motorway seems to have done it.put some vpower in anyway today.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Definitely DPF, stick some v-power and/or injector cleaner and give it a blast as others have mentioned.

have the DPF and EGR deleted...lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
x-ray wrote:

Had my EGR deleted and blanked off (with a mild remap @ 100,000 miles)
No DPF fitted. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 pm 

I've had no trouble with this cabs EGR X-ray but I replaced 3 with my 08 plate .np info dash problems again today

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:43 pm 

rayggb wrote:
I've had no trouble with this cabs EGR X-ray but I replaced 3 with my 08 plate .np info dash problems again today

I had a 09 plate E7, blanked the EGR off at 100,000 miles (out of warranty) never had a problem with it. I sold it on 220,000 to another cabby. He’s took it to 370,000 miles on the same EGR valve, he gets the odd message on the dash (ant-pollution fault) but it goes off after a bit and doesn’t affect the cars running. I used to change the oil and filter every 10k and only ever used v-power. The proof is in the pudding!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 am 

rayggb wrote:

Have a bottle of DPF cleaner in the boot in case my light comes on - as the miles pile on it seems that the DPF will get clogged more easily, and more difficult to unclog.

The cleaner apparently helps the declogging process, in conjunction with a motorway blast, or as a precaution you can put a bottle in your tank once a month or so, which will apparently help prevent it clogging up.

Halfords seems to shift mostly Wynn's, which costs £10:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... aner-325ml

The also do Redex for the same price:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... aner-250ml

Tesco also sell the Redex stuff (bigger branches only, presumably) for £8.

My local Morrison's also sells one for £5.50 or thereabouts, but it's not one of the bigger brands (CarLube, or something, I think).

Of course, Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate diesel may do the same job, but there's so many opinions and unknowables about these things that to a degree it's all in the lap of the gods.

And as my light has never actually come on I've never used the stuff, but just put it in the boot for peace of mind, because of course if you read the reviews etc online there's always someone who claims that using such stuff has caused other problems.

But had a bit of a panic the other week when thought my VW was going through the *active* regeneration process (ie when extra fuel is squirted into the system to raise the temperature and burn the soot off) every other day rather than every couple of weeks or so (although it's difficult to tell when it's *actively* regenerating). So as car nearly round the clock thought that was maybe a sign that I was about to start having DPF problems, but think it was a false alarm.

By the way, the instructions on the Redex bottle don't mention routine use as a precaution, and give the impression that it's only for use if the warning light comes on. But I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff as here, which says it can be used on a routine basis every few tankfuls:

https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/product ... f-cleaner/

Of course, have known about DPF problems for years now, but only just realised that it's such a 'thing' that a medium-sized branch of Morrison's stocks DPF cleaner :-|

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
x-ray wrote:

Not sure about the EGR if it passes emissions test, but DPF removal is automatic MoT failure?

By the way, anyone any comments about the new MoT test, which is apparently more difficult to pass in terms of DPF and emissions?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 am 

EGR only works at certain times anyway, impossible to test for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm 

Everything okay for the last few days after that blast down the motorway