Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 pm 

Why are the lewes private hire working for uber driving around Brighton with roof lights on?
I thought lewes private hire were not allowed roof lights

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:47 pm 

I Found the answer
If anybody spots a uber with a roof light please take a picture and send it in to licensing

. DISTINGUISHING FEATURES
It is an essential legal requirement that Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Vehicles are readily distinguishable from each other.
Section 47 of the 1976 Act enables the Council to require that any Hackney Carriage Vehicle be of such design or appearance, or bear such
distinguishing marks as shall clearly identify it as a Hackney Carriage.
Furthermore, Section 48 provides that a
Private Hire Vehicle shall not be of such design and appearance as to lead any person to believe that the vehicle is a Hackney Carriage.
With these requirements in mind the licensing system will specify that Private Hire Vehicles are to be identifiable
by the coloured licence plate and may be additionally marked on the front driverand passenger doors
(subject to the approval of the Council), to indicate that the vehicle is a Private Hire Vehicle.
Private Hire Vehicles are NOT allowed roof signs of any description

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 am 

lewes wrote:
I Found the answer
If anybody spots a uber with a roof light please take a picture and send it in to licensing

It is an essential legal requirement that Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Vehicles are readily distinguishable from each other.
Section 47 of the 1976 Act enables the Council to require that any Hackney Carriage Vehicle be of such design or appearance, or bear such
Private Hire Vehicle shall not be of such design and appearance as to lead any person to believe that the vehicle is a Hackney Carriage.
With these requirements in mind the licensing system will specify that Private Hire Vehicles are to be identifiable
by the coloured licence plate and may be additionally marked on the front driverand passenger doors
(subject to the approval of the Council), to indicate that the vehicle is a Private Hire Vehicle.

West Brom PH have rooflights saying........."not a taxi"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:28 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
lewes wrote:
I Found the answer

That is a blatant breech of the Act about top signs, the word TAXI is forbidden to be displayed on a private hire vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:33 pm 

heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
lewes wrote:
I Found the answer

That is a blatant breech of the Act about top signs, the word TAXI is forbidden to be displayed on a private hire vehicle.

ok it might actually say, in small print, prebooked only

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

to the home going nightclubbers its a taxi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:28 pm 

heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
lewes wrote:
I Found the answer

Not in all cases. If my company is called grandads taxis and I run mainly hackney carriages the workd grandads taxis can still be used on my one private hire because it is the company name.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:55 pm 

grandad wrote:
Not in all cases. If my company is called grandads taxis and I run mainly hackney carriages the workd grandads taxis can still be used on my one private hire because it is the company name.

8-[ :-s [-X :roll: [-(

What's the source for that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:09 pm 

StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

I think it was on here somewhere because a few years ago we had a company here that was called XXXXX taxis and they used the same name on their PH vehicles. I complained to the council and put it on here and both gave the same answer. If you run mainly hackney and the word taxi is part of the company name you can use the company name on your PH.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:16 am 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

I think it was on here somewhere because a few years ago we had a company here that was called XXXXX taxis and they used the same name on their PH vehicles. I complained to the council and put it on here and both gave the same answer. If you run mainly hackney and the word taxi is part of the company name you can use the company name on your PH.

Not according to the 1980 Transport Act, Section 64.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

as a companies name in some cases MUST be shown on a PH its obvious a AAA Taxi ltd car must have......."AAA TAXIS"

councils dont think that far in advance do they

1 hack on a fleet means "taxi" can be used on all cars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:20 pm 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/57/section/48

grandad wrote:

Well the Transport Act section cited by Heathcote seems fairly clear:

Transport Act 1980 wrote:
64 Roof-signs on vehicle other than taxis.

(1) There shall not, in any part of England and Wales outside the metropolitan police district and the City of London, be displayed on or above the roof of any vehicle which is used for carrying passengers for hire or reward but which is not a taxi—

(a) any sign which consists of or includes the word “taxi” or “cab”, whether in the singular or plural, or “hire”, or any word of similar meaning or appearance to any of those words, whether alone or as part of another word; or

(b) any sign, notice, mark, illumination or other feature which may suggest that the vehicle is a taxi.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/34/section/64

Note that (1)(a) is specifically about rooflights, while (b) seems to be about other things, but above the roofline.

So that would seem to be a fairly clear ban on PHV rooflights displaying the word 'taxi'.

As for the rest of the vehicle, presumably that's about s.48 of the LG(MP) Act 1976, which states that PHVs can't be "of such design and appearance as to lead any person to believe that the vehicle is a hackney carriage".

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/57/section/48

Obviously that's quite vague and each council will vary in their interpretation of that. And I'm not sure if there's any case law etc on it.

But, at a rough guess, and unless there's other relevant legislation, I would say that if Parliament had intended to ban the word 'taxi' from PHVs altogether then that would have been specifically catered for, whereas the Transport Act specifies only what shouldn't be displayed above the roofline.

So, roughly speaking I would say that the word 'taxi' is OK on PHVs, except above the roofline, although I'm sure others will disagree :shock:

But if an individual council does interpret s.48 as prohibiting the word 'taxi', then I'm not sure what the relevance of the circuit would be, and whether or not it has HCs - s.48 is about individual vehicles, not any wider context.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:25 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
as a companies name in some cases MUST be shown on a PH its obvious a AAA Taxi ltd car must have......."AAA TAXIS"

councils dont think that far in advance do they

1 hack on a fleet means "taxi" can be used on all cars

Interesting to look at these photos of Brighton PHVs, which I'd guess are part of circuits including HCs.

Suspect they're not allowed to display the company name because it includes words 'taxi' or 'cab'. So only the phone number is allowed, whether on roofsign or on rest of vehicle.

Which is obviously a bit stricter than what I've said above about s.48 of the LG(MP) Act 1976, but unless there's case law or whatever on the subject then each LA will interpret it in their own way, and because it's very vague there's no doubt many different interpretations of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:56 pm 

lewes wrote:
Why are the lewes private hire working for uber driving around Brighton with roof lights on?
I thought lewes private hire were not allowed roof lights

If any had roof lights there would be multiple complaints to the council each time.

The hackneys have roof lights, but I haven't see any Lewes PH with roof lights this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:00 pm 

I've had a roof light on my PH for nearly 30 years. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Worth it's weight in gold. 8-[