Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DBS issue?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 pm 

Will spent convictions from over 20 years ago stop a new badge license from being granted?
drink driving and also a caution for possession of a marjuana joint?

Post subject: Re: DBS issue?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

It will certainly show up on an enhanced DBS check but it won’t automatically mean refusal of a license. You may be called before the licensing committee before a license is granted though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 pm 

Hanban79 wrote:
Will spent convictions from over 20 years ago stop a new badge license from being granted?

You should be ok.

20 years is a long time.

The council you are looking at should have a policy on who they license and when they license, and that should include time limits on criminal matters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:02 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Hanban79 wrote:

You should be ok.

20 years is a long time.

The council you are looking at should have a policy on who they license and when they license, and that should include time limits on criminal matters.

The Council still hold something stupid I did 33 years ago against me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:01 pm 

Our new "proposed" policy (cough) now requires (in addition to prosecutions and such) that they be informed if a driver gets a CCJ or goes bankrupt, it seems such miscreants are not "fit and proper" persons to hold a badge...........

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:24 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Our new "proposed" policy (cough) now requires (in addition to prosecutions and such) that they be informed if a driver gets a CCJ or goes bankrupt, it seems such miscreants are not "fit and proper" persons to hold a badge...........

Always thought you could not have a TAXI license if you were bankrupt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:48 pm 

heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

"taxi driver" is the single largest number of an category in the bankruptcy listings,....

the reasons "behind" bankruptcy are many-fold, from unemployment to divorce to illness, and its personal, whereas a LTD company seems able to fold and restart at ease...

I hear Simon Widdowson haulage LTD locked the gates just before xmas but a "phoenix" company had maybe bought its assets already and it could be trading on without the debts..............

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:00 am 

heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Why on earth not?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm 

grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Why on earth not?

Not sure about outside London, but sure there's always been some sort of financial standing test for awarding a licence in the capital (proprietor's at least; not so sure about driver's).

And recall that the proposals for tackling the 'hidden economy' in the trade a few weeks ago mentioned that: "New “fit and proper” criteria may include an assessment of an applicant’s financial integrity."

Which I assume would relate to things like bankruptcy, creditworthiness etc.

For what it's worth, my own view is that this should effectively be left to the individual and/or the private sector, so if the applicant can raise the money to put a vehicle on that meets the standard then why shouldn't they? This could be an informal loan from a relative (say), or if they manage to get a loan or HP then the private sector has obviously checked the applicant's financial status and OKed it.

Not sure councillors should be second-guessing that.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33478

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:56 am 

StuartW wrote:

Not sure about outside London, but sure there's always been some sort of financial standing test for awarding a licence in the capital (proprietor's at least; not so sure about driver's).

And recall that the proposals for tackling the 'hidden economy' in the trade a few weeks ago mentioned that: "New “fit and proper” criteria may include an assessment of an applicant’s financial integrity."

Which I assume would relate to things like bankruptcy, creditworthiness etc.

For what it's worth, my own view is that this should effectively be left to the individual and/or the private sector, so if the applicant can raise the money to put a vehicle on that meets the standard then why shouldn't they? This could be an informal loan from a relative (say), or if they manage to get a loan or HP then the private sector has obviously checked the applicant's financial status and OKed it.

Not sure councillors should be second-guessing that.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33478

Not all drivers own their car. Non of our drivers do, they rent them from us.. If creditworthiness was to be a consideration them there would be thousands of drivers who would loose their badges.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:31 pm 

Speaking to someone the other day and I was shocked at what they said about DBS checks.

Some have been coming back not showing offences that the drivers had admitted to on their application forms, and some DBS checks have been coming back without serious offences being logged.

I believe representations have been made.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 am 

Sussex wrote:
Speaking to someone the other day and I was shocked at what they said about DBS checks.

Some have been coming back not showing offences that the drivers had admitted to on their application forms, and some DBS checks have been coming back without serious offences being logged.

I believe representations have been made.

None of my driving convictions from years ago have ever shown up. I had some speeding ones years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm 

grandad wrote:
Not all drivers own their car. Non of our drivers do, they rent them from us.. If creditworthiness was to be a consideration them there would be thousands of drivers who would loose their badges.

Indeed, which is why I suspect any such tests would be for plates rather than badges. But of course when reading about such things it's often difficult to tell whether it's plates or badges that are being talked about, or both, but suspect in this case it's just plates.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:56 pm 

grandad wrote:
Not all drivers own their car.

Non of our drivers do, they rent them from us..

If creditworthiness was to be a consideration them there would be thousands of drivers who would loose their badges.

On that point ive often wondered how come you dont need "self drive/hire" insurance?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

"taxi driver" is the single largest number of an category in the bankruptcy listings,....

the reasons "behind" bankruptcy are many-fold, from unemployment to divorce to illness, and its personal, whereas a LTD company seems able to fold and restart at ease...

I hear Simon Widdowson haulage LTD locked the gates just before xmas but a "phoenix" company had maybe bought its assets already and it could be trading on without the debts..............

That's the 2nd time they've been through the hoop in as many years. I got offered a Class 2 job with them before they went through the hoop the first time.