Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting legal case
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:36 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47175357

A psychologist fined for driving through a bus gate has won her appeal after arguing there were too many signs for the brain to process.

Bernadine King's penalty charge notice (PCN) was quashed after a tribunal ruled signage was "inadequate".

Essex County Council has taken £1.5m after 54,000 drivers were fined using the Chelmsford bus gate in 18 months.

It said the PCNs had seen the number of people using the gate "reduce to less than a quarter" of the figure before.

I wonder if the same logic could be applied to some of Nottingham's restricted roads

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:50 pm 

edders23 wrote:

A psychologist fined for driving through a bus gate has won her appeal after arguing there were too many signs for the brain to process.

Bernadine King's penalty charge notice (PCN) was quashed after a tribunal ruled signage was "inadequate".

Essex County Council has taken £1.5m after 54,000 drivers were fined using the Chelmsford bus gate in 18 months.

It said the PCNs had seen the number of people using the gate "reduce to less than a quarter" of the figure before.

I wonder if the same logic could be applied to some of Nottingham's restricted roads

If her brain can not process a sign that says NO CARS i wonder how she became a psychologist.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 pm 

surely if there were too many signs for the brain to process that would mean that the signage was over adequate and no inadequate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm 

heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

If her brain can not process a sign that says NO CARS i wonder how she became a psychologist.

I think the point being made was that it was not easy enough to see the sign that said no cars because of all the other signs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 am 

grandad wrote:
surely if there were too many signs for the brain to process that would mean that the signage was over adequate and no inadequate.

Not really.

Confusing signs are never adequate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:42 pm 

There's a junction over the A40 in west London that has over140 signs in a very small area, just by Northolt. The road layout is confusing, so are the signs.

Just off the A23 at Merstham there's a road used by single deck buses. The signs say "height limit 12'3"; "width restriction 6'6"; EXCEPT BUSES. so one of my drivers took a double decker don there and took the 14'6 bus under the 12'3 bridge and wrote off the bus.

Did the EXCEPT BUSES sign apply to the width restriction or the height restriction? To add to the confusion before the low bridge is a footbridge over the road that is over 16' as it doesn't have a hight marked.

Lots of roads have width restrictions to prevent lorries going along them but allowing buses; I don't know of any bridges that have variable height!

The M25, clockwise approaching the Dartford Crossing last night, national speed limit; advisory speed 50 in lights. Next sign is permanent 60 where it changes to the A280 or whatever it is. What takes precedence, the advisory 50 or the fixed 60? A bit further on is an advisory 40. confusing?

There's far too many road signs and yes, they ARE confusing.