Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm 

New taxi CCTV system could cost £320k to install

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... o-install/

WARRINGTON Borough Council could fork out up to £320,000 to install the latest CCTV system in the town’s taxis.

Since June 2016, cabbies across the borough have been required to have cameras fitted in their vehicles to improve the safety of passengers and drivers.

But the issue has sparked major concerns, with some labelling the system as ‘intrusive’.

However, following discussions between the council and Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), since June, cabbies have had permission to temporarily deactivate the CCTV when their vehicle is in personal use.

And Warrington’s taxis will now be fitted with the latest system, which will give drivers the option to turn it off when their vehicle is being used for personal purposes, although it must be in operation at other times.

The capital investment is part of the authority’s commitment to work with the taxi trade to ensure the ‘highest standards of safeguarding’ are delivered for drivers and the public.

Around 600 vehicles in the town will be required to have the new system.

It is expected to cost the council between £300,000 and £320,000 in total.

Cllr Judith Guthrie, executive board member for environment and public protection, said: “We recognise the valuable public service Warrington’s taxis provide and we are committed to working closely with the trade to promote best practice and to improve standards.

“The security of taxi passengers and drivers is a high priority for us, so I’m pleased that we are one the local authorities leading the way in the introduction of CCTV.

“The use of this technology in taxis is a new and emerging area for councils and there have been some challenges in getting it right.

“We have listened to the concerns of the ICO and drivers around data protection and acted on the advice given.

“Safety is paramount and that’s why we have carried out rigorous research and invested in a high-quality system, which will fully meet the needs of Warrington’s taxi trade.

“This policy has been introduced in the best interests of the travelling public and responsible drivers and I’m confident that the new systems will strike the right balance between protecting drivers and the travelling public, while protecting the privacy of drivers when they are not on duty.”

Installation of the new system is expected to begin next month following the conclusion of the procurement exercise.

Council chief executive Steven Broomhead says the authority has been working closely with the taxi trade and thanked drivers.

He added: “We are seen to be one of key movers in terms of protecting the public and drivers.

“Many councils are coming to us for advice, including advice around compliance with the law and good relations with the ICO.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm 

Quote:
However, following discussions between the council and Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), since June, cabbies have had permission to temporarily deactivate the CCTV when their vehicle is in personal use.

And Warrington’s taxis will now be fitted with the latest system, which will give drivers the option to turn it off when their vehicle is being used for personal purposes, although it must be in operation at other times.

So obviously the ICO and Warrington Council don't think much of the 'a Hackney Carriage is always a Hackney Carriage' argument [-(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I find it hard to believe that they cannot get a deal for installing in bulk that gets that cost down to around £400 a vehicle or less

Or did they let civil servants do the negotiating :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that they cannot get a deal for installing in bulk that gets that cost down to around £400 a vehicle or less

Or did they let civil servants do the negotiating :roll:

So what's the per vehicle cost, then? :-k

I didn't see any figures mentioned in the article :-s

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm 

StuartW wrote:

You missed:
"Around 600 vehicles in the town will be required to have the new system.

It is expected to cost the council between £300,000 and £320,000 in total."

So £500.00 to £533.33 approximately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
StuartW wrote:

You missed:
"Around 600 vehicles in the town will be required to have the new system.

It is expected to cost the council between £300,000 and £320,000 in total."

So £500.00 to £533.33 approximately.

Thanks - that's what happens occasionally when trying to post these things and read/digest them at the same time - sometimes you can miss the important details :wink:

I remember thinking when posting that I could look at the DfT stats to work out the cost per car, but couldn't be bothered :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am 

I can see the cost aspect causing a problem if the owner/driver has to pay. For instance, at the moment our council has no policy on CCTV. several drivers and our company have had CCTV fitted already but the systems are not likely to conform to any future council requirements. Will this mean that we have to have our own systems removed and, in our case pay the remainder of the lease contracts, and then pay for the council approved system?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
under the new proposals which hopefully you will read and answer the questionnaire Pete we are all going to have to have it fitted so presumably a national standard system will be specified

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am 

edders23 wrote:
under the new proposals which hopefully you will read and answer the questionnaire Pete we are all going to have to have it fitted so presumably a national standard system will be specified

That is my point. The systems already installed will no be complient.
I have read the reports and done the questionaire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:55 pm 

grandad wrote:
I can see the cost aspect causing a problem if the owner/driver has to pay. For instance, at the moment our council has no policy on CCTV. several drivers and our company have had CCTV fitted already but the systems are not likely to conform to any future council requirements. Will this mean that we have to have our own systems removed and, in our case pay the remainder of the lease contracts, and then pay for the council approved system?

By the time this all gets through Parliament and it's actually implemented, then presumably any lease agreements will have ended?

Unless, of course, your council imposes a system in the meantime.

But that's always a risk as regards this kind of thing - even worse, buying a car which may quickly become defunct if local rules on emissions or age policies are changed.

And other thing about stuff like this is it may actually deter people investing in new equipment/vehicles etc - everything seems so up in the air at the moment that it can put people off. Never mind the whole Brexit thing etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:56 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Yes, and the new national standard underlines why it's difficult to make cost comparisons - unless the precise spec is known then difficult to compare costs with current systems etc (or at least that's my excuse for not noticing the numbers :oops: )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:15 pm 

edders23 wrote:

And the government have said they will not be paying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:16 pm 

New taxi CCTV system to cost council £311k to fit

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... v-systems/

WARRINGTON Borough Council will fork out more than £311,000 to install a new CCTV system in the town’s taxis.

Since June 2016, cabbies across the borough have been required to have cameras fitted in their vehicles to improve the safety of passengers and drivers.

But the issue has sparked major concerns, with some labelling the system as ‘intrusive’.

However, following discussions between the council and Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), cabbies were given permission to temporarily deactivate the CCTV when their vehicle was in personal use.

And taxis are now required to be fitted with the latest CCTV system, which gives drivers the option to turn it off when their vehicle is being used for personal purposes, although it must be in operation at other times.

A total of 600 vehicles need to have the new system fitted. It costs £519 per unit, bringing the overall cost to £311,400.

A taxi driver, who does not wish to be named, says the council is having to pay for every camera fitted in licensed taxis in the borough ‘after falling foul of the Data Protection Act’.

He emphasised the original cameras were fitted at the owners’ expense, but that the council is having to pay for the new system being installed.

Council chief executive Steven Broomhead has commented on the matter.

He said: “Warrington taxis are being fitted with the latest CCTV systems, demonstrating our commitment to delivering the highest standards of safeguarding and data protection for both drivers and passengers.

“Taxis are part of our transport system and just like buses and trains, which also have CCTV, it’s vital that all steps are taken for public protection.

“Replacement systems will be completed soon and we are grateful for the continuing co-operation of responsible operators in helping us to achieve this.

“In making these decisions we held extensive discussions with the taxi trade and the ICO.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:25 pm 

I wonder if they will also pay for CCTV for any new entrants to the trade.

:-k