Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:44 pm 

Surprised at sensationalist tone and content of this article in view of the fact that an arrest has been made. In fact an earlier version stated that the pedestrian had been 'mowed down', which makes it sound deliberate. This is the earlier headline and sub-heading, while the piece below it is the most up-to-date version:

Woman dies after being mowed down by 'drug driver'

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... d-15863199

Liverpool man arrested as 60-year-old pedestrian dies at scene in Netherley

Much-loved mum killed by "drug-driven" taxi which had dropped her off seconds earlier

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... g-15867354

Judith Rogers, 60, suffered fatal injuries outside her front gate and had to be removed from under the Ford Mondeo cab

A woman was killed by the same "drug driven" taxi which had dropped her off on her doorstep just seconds earlier.

Much-loved Judith Rogers was tragically struck by a Ford Mondeo private hire cab at around 12.40am this morning, on Lydieth Lea in Netherley.

She suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 60-year-old was with her husband Richie and they were returning home together when the horrific collision took place, right in front of their driveway gates.

Today, stunned neighbours described Mrs Rogers as "a lovely woman who kept herself to herself".

Detectives have arrested the driver of the taxi, aged 30, who took the couple back home.

He was given a roadside test and then detained on suspicion of drug driving.

Two fire crews, and the service's search and rescue team, were alerted at 12.41am, and worked for 42 minutes to retrieve the woman from under the taxi.

Airbags and chock blocks were used by firefighters to lift the Ford Mondeo and prevent the wheels from moving.

Crews left the scene at 1.23am.

Locals said Ms Rogers and her husband often went to nearby Woolton Village, and it is thought they were returning home from a night out together.

One resident said: "From what we've been told, the taxi driver somehow hasn't seen her when she's been getting out the vehicle, and it's hit her.

"It's so sad.

"Judith was well-known and well-liked on the street."

This morning, husband Richie, who lives at home with his son Colin, was too upset to comment.

Residents said the couple had another child who lived in Australia, who had a grandchild that Mrs Rogers was yet to see.

A tent was today covered the spot on the roadside where the accident happened.

Officers were carrying out door-to-door enquiries on Lydieth Lea.

Today, police launched an appeal for witnesses and asked anyone who saw the accident to get in touch.

A spokesman said: "At around 12.40am, officers were called to reports that a Ford Mondeo had been involved in a collision with a 60-year-old female pedestrian in Lydieth Lea.

"Emergency services attended however the pedestrian was sadly pronounced dead at the scene."

And the force added: "The victim’s next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers at this time.

"An investigation is ongoing to establish the full circumstances and officers are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to please get in touch."

Anyone who witnessed the collision take place, or has any information in relation to this incident, can contact the social media desk @MerPolCC, call 101 or 0151 777 4757 quoting reference 19100064352, or you can call Crime Stoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm 

And amazed at some of the comments the Echo is allowing on their website, particularly since an arrest has been made. In such circumstances I think normal newspaper practice is to disallow *any* comments:

Quote:
Probably was delta cabs there always stoned when they pick you up not all but definitely 85% Are off there head on drugs I've even been told some of them have double jobs drug dealing from there taxi to RIP to the lady and god help her husband what an horrific thing to see your wife killed on front of you so very sad xxx thinking of the family

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Surprised at sensationalist tone and content of this article

THIS IS THE LIVERPOOL ECHO

If there was a league table of newspapers around the world that over sensationalise their content this would be number one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34 am 

Taxi-Point is even worse (this is just the headline and first paragraph):

Drug driving Private Hire driver runs over and kills woman he dropped off seconds earlier

A woman has been killed by a private hire driver in Liverpool who was high on drugs seconds after he dropped her off at her home.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No ifs and buts, the driver was high on drugs and ran the woman over and killed her.

Compare that to the BBC report, obviously written by someone who knows how contempt of court works (or whatever it's called).

Not sure about how it works in detail, but basically I think that once an arrest has been made you can only report the brief and basic facts, and you shouldn't claim that the driver *was* high on drugs or that he *did* kill the woman.

Note how the BBC report manages this by simply saying that a woman has been knocked over and killed, and that a driver had been arrested on suspicion of drug driving. It doesn't say he *was* high on drugs, or that he actually killed the woman, and certainly doesn't claim that he "mowed her down".

The BBC's report also manages to avoid mentioning that it's a licensed vehicle. Again this may be because of the need to keep the facts to a minimum, but not so sure about that one.

But it's all about avoiding prejudicing a fair trial.

Netherley drug-driving arrest after pedestrian killed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-47316186

A man has been arrested on suspicion of drug-driving after a woman was hit and killed in Liverpool.

The 60-year-old woman was struck by a Ford Mondeo in Lydieth Lea, Netherley at about 00:40 GMT, Merseyside Police said.

Emergency services attended but she died at the scene.

A 30-year-old man from Liverpool has been arrested and is being questioned by police. The force has appealed for witnesses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:37 am 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:

If there was a league table of newspapers around the world that over sensationalise their content this would be number one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read it often do you ??????????????????????????????????????????

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:

You really don't like Liverpool or Scousers do you. What's the matter Your missus go there one night and come home with a big smile on her face. :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 pm 

Nothing against Livepool per se in fact my nephew is a teacher in Liverpool ! But we read more stories on here about the antics of the local scallies than we do about Birmingham, Manchester and London put together

and that says an awful lot about what seems to be acceptable behaviour in and around Merseyside

as for the Liverpool Echo I dislike the fact that they continually over sensationalise and demonize our trade whereas the rest of the rags do so periodically

I would love to go a month without there being anything about our trade appearing in that rag BUT as we all know stories about our trade appear every week

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:08 am 

Woman died after being hit by drug-fuelled taxi driver who'd just dropped her off

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... t-16664901

Coroner found that Judith Rogers died as a result of a road traffic accident and did not attribute any blame

Image: Liverpool Echo

A taxi driver under the influence of drugs whose passenger died after he hit her in a tragic accident walked free from court.

Anthony Dunne, 30, had dropped off Judith Rogers and her husband at their home on Lydieth Lea in Netherley on February 21 this year. While Dunne discussed the fare with Mr Rogers, Mrs Rogers fell in the road. The two men did not see her fall.

When Dunne pulled away his Ford Mondeo taxi hit Mrs Rogers.

She died from her injuries. Liverpool Coroners Court later recorded a verdict of death by road traffic accident.

Dunne told police that Mrs Rodgers, 60, had 'walked off' and that he 'could not see her.'

Dunne was arrested at the scene on suspicion of drug driving. Subsequent blood tests found he was above the legal limit for cocaine and benzodiazepine.

He later pleaded guilty to two counts of driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of a controlled drug.

Image: Liverpool Echo

Andrew Page, prosecuting, told Liverpool magistrates that Dunne was working for Alpha Taxis when he picked up Judith Rogers and her husband. But after he dropped them off home, "he hit a pedestrian who had just got out."

Mr Page said Mr Dunne was arrested at the scene and later failed two drug tests.

Keith Webster, defending, said a coroner did not attribute any blame in relation to Mrs Rodgers' death. He outlined the events that led up to the accident to the court.

He said: "Mr Dunne had collected two passengers who had been out drinking. A female got out of the car and fell onto the floor next to the car.

"Mr Dunne was talking to a man about the fare. The two men were not aware that the woman had fallen near the wheel.

"When Mr Dunne set off there was a low speed incident. The impact caused fatal consequences."

Mr Webster said Dunne did not have a criminal record and had served in the armed forces.

He said: "He has not drunk or taken any drugs since this incident. He has reviewed his life."

Dunne is no longer working as a taxi driver, the court was told.

District Judge Andrew Shaw said: "You were a taxi driver engaging with the public and you took cocaine. Why would you do that, it is a mystery.

"It was inappropriate and potentially dangerous. But I am sentencing you for drug driving and nothing else.

"The tragic way in which Judith Rogers died are not matters you are charged with. You are not bearing any culpability for her death."

Dunne, of Leafield Road in Hunts Cross was ordered to do 100 hours of unpaid work and banned from driving for 18 months. He was ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £85 and costs of £85.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:15 am 

No mention of the levels of drugs found, but I suspect he's been caught out by the rules designed to catch those who may have taken drugs a couple of days earlier, but are hardly off their face at the time, as discussed recently in another thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:34 am 

Quote:
District Judge Andrew Shaw said: "You were a taxi driver engaging with the public and you took cocaine. Why would you do that, it is a mystery.

"It was inappropriate and potentially dangerous. But I am sentencing you for drug driving and nothing else.

"The tragic way in which Judith Rogers died are not matters you are charged with. You are not bearing any culpability for her death."

how come he was not charged with causing death by careless driving the evidence surely would have been strong enough ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:05 am 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:

how come he was not charged with causing death by careless driving the evidence surely would have been strong enough ?

Why? The coroner obviously concluded that it was just a tragic accident which couldn't have been avoided. The drugs and the PHD's driving weren't factors leading to the death.

And this also underlines the sensationalist reporting that I mentioned when the story first broke - even if the drugs had been a factor and the driver at fault, the reporting may have prejudiced a fair trial - innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

Brings to mind a head-on here c. 2003 which resulted in the death of one of the local golf caddies. The driver was also seriously injured. The cause of the crash was never really established, so I think the driver was just charged with careless driving and was admonished.

The taxi also had two defective tyres and was unlicensed, due to an oversight, I think - back in those days I don't think the council sent out expiry reminders, and the plates were undated. Indeed, that's maybe why they started dating the plates at about that time.

But the proprietor of the taxi got off pretty lightly - fined about £250 in total, I think. And I'm not sure if there were any licensing repercussions other than a slapped wrist. Thought at the time that he got off pretty lightly, and even moreso nowadays.

Anyway, even when there's death or serious injury involved, you have to establish a clear link between the driver's conduct or the condition of the vehicle before relating them to the death for the purposes of a criminal charge.

Just because a vehicle had defective tyres or the driver was over the limit, if those factors didn't cause the death then the charge will be relatively minor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:53 am 

Quote:
Why? The coroner obviously concluded that it was just a tragic accident which couldn't have been avoided. The drugs and the PHD's driving weren't factors leading to the death.

if there is enough evidence surely the police would prosecute even if the drugs were not a factor after all how careless do you need to be to knock over a passenger you just dropped off .

I am not saying he should have been but I'm surprised he wasn't

Quote:
And this also underlines the sensationalist reporting that I mentioned when the story first broke - even if the drugs had been a factor and the driver at fault, the reporting may have prejudiced a fair trial - innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

which was my earlier point about the liverpool echo they need bringing down a peg or two

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:14 pm 

Quote:

Because the coroner found he wasn't responsible.

A court will not convict someone of an offence when another court has said they are not at fault.

What has saved him from any charge/conviction, in relation to the sad death of the lady, is the fact that the lady's husband was also present and didn't notice his wife had fallen over either.

I'm pretty well convinced that had he not been present a charge, and a conviction, and a prison sentence would have followed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:20 pm 

Edders wrote:
if there is enough evidence surely the police would prosecute even if the drugs were not a factor after all how careless do you need to be to knock over a passenger you just dropped off .

But presumably there *wasn't* enough evidence.

Never done drugs, and go months without any alcohol, and when I drop people I try to make sure I can see them all and where they've gone before performing any manoeuvre, particularly when it's dark and late at night, and there's alcohol involved.

But I know it's not always that easy, and this was clearly a freak accident, and this kind of thing is hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

Of course, we don't know the precise evidence from the hearings, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fare negotiations took some time, and the driver was distracted, and had just assumed the deceased had disappeared.

The deceased's husband also said that he couldn't see her, and I suspect his evidence might have swayed the decision.

Suspect deceased's head was very near a wheel, and the collision very low speed, but still enough to kill in exceptional circumstances.

Thus an accident, obviously very tragic, but presumably the coroner and prosecutors concluded that the PHD's conduct didn't fall below that of a reasonable driver in the circumstances.