Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 pm 

Is there any hard and fast rule that stipulates the size of a district when it comes to taxi fares and meters? The situation we have is that "the district" is deemed to be the whole borough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm 

I would say it usually is, unless defined locally. A borough usually has control of licensing across it's whole area. What is your argument?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:12 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
ours is the whole of SKDC [b]BUT[/b] you are supposed to specify which town (or village) you work from and not work other towns

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 pm 

ask your licensing for the map with borders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:44 pm 

grandad wrote:
Is there any hard and fast rule that stipulates the size of a district when it comes to taxi fares and meters? The situation we have is that "the district" is deemed to be the whole borough.

Sounds about right to me.

Interested to see what else it could be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:45 pm 

I never realised Bottesford was leics not notts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I never realised Bottesford was leics not notts

Things you learn on TDO. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 pm 

Bottesford is about 20 miles (32 km) east of Nottingham and 16 miles (26 km) north of Melton Mowbray. The village is the largest in the Vale of Belvoir and is near to Belvoir Castle, home to the Duke and Duchess of Rutland. It had a population of 3,587 at the time of the 2011 census.[1] It borders parishes in Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire, such as Redmile, Sedgebrook and Elton respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottesfor ... estershire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:58 am 

The problem is that no cars will cover village to village jobs because of the dead miles getting to the village in the first place. For instance using the map provided, and this is a journey that is requested on a regular basis, a pick up in Stathern and going to Harby. A distance of a little over 1 mile. but it is around 9 miles from town to the pick up. Some drivers will do the job but obviously they do not use the meter and agree a price with the customer which for a hackney within it's district is obviously illegal.
What is being asked is if the Council can re-define the district to being the old Urban district before we became a Borough which joined together the old Urban District and the old Rural district. As far as I am aware, all but 2 of the private hire vehicles licensed in the area are executive cars and don't do this type of work.
So basically, can the Council re-define the district if they want to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 pm 

grandad wrote:
The problem is that no cars will cover village to village jobs because of the dead miles getting to the village in the first place. For instance using the map provided, and this is a journey that is requested on a regular basis, a pick up in Stathern and going to Harby. A distance of a little over 1 mile. but it is around 9 miles from town to the pick up. Some drivers will do the job but obviously they do not use the meter and agree a price with the customer which for a hackney within it's district is obviously illegal.
What is being asked is if the Council can re-define the district to being the old Urban district before we became a Borough which joined together the old Urban District and the old Rural district. As far as I am aware, all but 2 of the private hire vehicles licensed in the area are executive cars and don't do this type of work.

They could create taxi zones like in some areas, but the easiest way is to add a pick up charge to your tariff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm 

grandad wrote:

How do they order the cab … telephone ? … if so ..ph job...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:

How do they order the cab … telephone ? … if so ..ph job...

In areas like Melton ,Rutland and SKDC nearly all vehicles are licensed Hackney and it is clearly stated in the rules and regs that you cannot charge more than the metered rate on any booking starting and finishing WITHIN the licensing area but in SKDC we have provision to add up to £10.00 onto the fare and here in Stamford within a mile of the town you cross the border into another licensing district save for a narrow corridor along the former A16 so we can quote prices on nearly all jobs but Pete doesn't have the same luxury :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 pm 

grandad wrote:

send a private hire with an agreed price

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 pm 

Quote:
but the easiest way is to add a pick up charge to your tariff.

As MCF indicates a booking fee can, and often is, added to the tariff card.

Can be a maximum so discretion can be used.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 pm 

56 Agreements to carry passengers a discretionary distance for a fixed sum If the proprietor or driver of any such hackney carriage, or if any other person on his behalf, agree with any person to carry in or by such hackney carriage persons not exceeding in number the number so painted on such carriage as aforesaid, for a distance to be in the discretion of such proprietor or driver, and for a sum agreed upon, such proprietor or driver shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale] if the distance which he carries such persons be under that to which they were entitled to be carried for the sum so agreed upon, according to the fare allowed by this or the special Act, or any byelaw made in pursuance thereof. Amendment Maximum penalty increased by the Criminal Law Act 1977, s 31(6), and converted to a level on the standard scale by the Criminal Justice Act 1982, ss 37, 46. Modification Modified, in relation to the taxi code, by the Licensed Taxis (Hiring at Separate Fares) Order 1986, SI 1986/13 86, art 4.