Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm 

Pulled this from the Aintree thread in the news section, because it's quite a distinct and topical issue, and also because of all the photos etc in that thread.

edders23 wrote:
Question

Is Liverpool's insistence on no Dual door signage a restraint of trade ?

They are saying in effect that drivers can only work for one app which I think is unfair

Not entirely clear if they are saying that drivers can only work for one operator - the licensing unit simply said that dual *signage* is not allowed.

So not clear if drivers are in fact only allowed to *work* for one operator. But that's an issue that's been raised in the past, especially with the advent of apps who allow drivers to work with other operators.

But pretty sure some councils *don't* allow drivers to work with more than one operator. Which is arguably a 'restraint of trade', as you put it, and thus surprised if it's never been challenged in court, particularly by Uber.

On the other hand, wouldn't be surprised if Uber quite happy that some LAs do insist on operator 'exclusivity' - I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they let drivers work for other ops is because it helps their case that the drivers are self-employed. If Uber said that drivers weren't allowed to work for other operators then that would look more like the drivers are *employed* by Uber. So if the LAs insist they work for Uber-only rather than Uber insisting on that, all well and good as far as the self-employment argument goes.

So the wider question isn't so much about dual door signage as about dual-working.

And it would be odd indeed if Liverpool *did* allow drivers to work for more than one operator, but *didn't* allow dual door signage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 pm 

There is at least one, maybe more, council(s) that say you can only work on/with one operator at a time. Personally I believe a condition like that to be incredibly daft, and highly unlawful.

Councils are very precious with what signage can be put on taxis/PHVs, so I suspect that's the reason rather than a one operator policy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Councils are very precious with what signage can be put on taxis/PHVs, so I suspect that's the reason rather than a one operator policy.

Indeed, but if a single-operator policy is unlawful, then presumably it follows that single-op door signage is unlawful as well.

As for LAs being precious about it, what's the reason for door signage in the first place?

Assume it's broadly for safety and compliance reasons.

Which I can't see being promoted if (say) someone hires an Ola, and a car with only Uber stickers turns up.

Either the punter says there's something going on here and rejects the car, or they begin to think that door signage is meaningless. So hardly promoting safety.

But obviously this is a grey area that was manageable and/or had never been challenged pre-Uber.

And, as with the bigger issues, the chances of it all being sorted in the near future are remote.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:08 am 

Isn't a driver supposed to deposit his paper council license with the operator for whom he intends to work for?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:32 am 

grandad wrote:
Isn't a driver supposed to deposit his paper council license with the operator for whom he intends to work for?

Presumably councils could provide a paper licence for each operator if a driver wants to work with more than one?

I'm sure councils would provide a photocopy of the licence for £50 or so :badgrin:

And all that's required regarding the door signage is to place the stickers on top of each other :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am 

2 bases..........2 rents?

get you some of that

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:26 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

get you some of that

It’s “PAYE” I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:03 pm 

x-ray wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

get you some of that

It’s “PAYE” I suppose.

OP doesnt say that, if it was signage would not be his concern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:45 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

get you some of that

Percentage of fare though, rather than fixed rental.

So why not go with multiple operators and thus just accept earliest/juiciest jobs that come through?

No-brainer from driver's point of view - it's like an HC being able to queue on two ranks at once =D>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 am 

StuartW wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

get you some of that

Percentage of fare though, rather than fixed rental.

So why not go with multiple operators and thus just accept earliest/juiciest jobs that come through?

No-brainer from driver's point of view - it's like an HC being able to queue on two ranks at once =D>

stupidest idea ive ever heard