Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 am 

If this vehicle lasts as long as some of the current Oxford fleet then it seems unlikely that Mr Bajwa will still be driving it when it's scrapped :-o

Oxford’s first zero-emission capable Hackney Carriage goes on the road

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17570 ... in-oxford/

THE first zero emission capable black cab has arrived in Oxford.

The world’s first purpose-built electric black cab, the LEVC TX, is the first taxi of its kind to join Oxford’s licensed hackney carriage fleet.

Previously Oxford’s Hackney Carriage fleet has consisted of 100 per cent of diesel vehicles – with 51 per cent being older than 15 years, the six oldest vehicles being 19 years old.

Image: Oxford Mail

Now Mohammed Yousaf Bajwa, 75, and his son-in-law Syed Zubair, 37, both from Oxford, have invested in the future by purchasing the London Electric Vehicle Company petrol-electric hybrid.

Mr Bajwa said the new cab cost £54,000, which he bought with the help of a government grant of £7,500 and £10,000 from the sale of his old diesel cab.

The family also borrowed £30,000 and used savings to make the investment and are looking forward to much cheaper running costs.

Checking in at a charging point at Rose Hill Community Centre, Mr Bajwa said: “We won’t need to spend much on fuel - previously it was £100 a week.

“Customers think the new vehicle is great - it’s very comfortable inside and there’s less noise.

“And they want to travel with us because it is helping the environment.”

Earlier this year the city council announced new emission standards and licensing criteria for Hackney Carriage Vehicles between 2020 and 2025.

The new standards will see the adoption of a phased approach to zero emission capable vehicles, with drivers only able to get a licence in 2025 if they have a zero emission capable cab.

The council will be providing support to the first 10 adopters of zero emission capable black cabs that are licensed by the council. For the drivers the city council will waive vehicle licence fees and certificate of compliance test fees incurred up to and ending on March 31, 2024. These fees will be covered by grant funding and by the council, with a value of up to £3,000 per vehicle.

Last week, the council announced it will be working with a partner to offer a ‘Trial before you Buy’ programme for Hackney Carriage Vehicle drivers in Oxford as part of a £41m energy superhub trial for the city.

On trial will be the world’s largest hybrid battery system, connected to a substation in Cowley, which will boost the city’s electric vehicle charging capacity and heat about 300 homes.

The council is also installing £500,000 in 19 electric vehicle charging points for black cabs and private hire vehicles.

Earlier this year the city council and Oxfordshire County Council published updated proposals for a Zero Emission Zone in Oxford city centre. Tom Hayes, board member for a safer and greener environment, said: “Working with cabbies to reduce the number of polluting taxis to zero by 2025 is central to the council’s plan to improve everyone’s air quality.

"Mr Bajwa is investing in the health of his passengers, the city, and of course himself.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
spending all that money at that age :shock:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:59 am 

“The world’s first purpose-built electric black cab,”

I think metrocab might have something to say about that statement ( if they haven’t gone bust, there hasn’t been any news from them in over a year, not since they announced a £100m investment from the red sun group )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm 

x-ray wrote:

I think metrocab might have something to say about that statement ( if they haven’t gone bust, there hasn’t been any news from them in over a year, not since they announced a £100m investment from the red sun group )

I think Renault May have something to say. They were producing electric taxi’s in the 1900’s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm 

jimbo wrote:
x-ray wrote:

I think Renault May have something to say. They were producing electric taxi’s in the 1900’s.

“Interest in motor vehicles increased greatly in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Electric battery-powered taxis became available at the end of the 19th century. In London, Walter C. Bersey designed a fleet of such cabs and introduced them to the streets of London in 1897. They were soon nicknamed "Hummingbirds" due to the idiosyncratic humming noise they made.[24] In the same year in New York City, the Samuel's Electric Carriage and Wagon Company began running 12 electric hansom cabs.[25] The company ran until 1898 with up to 62 cabs operating until it was reformed by its financiers to form the Electric Vehicle Company.[26]”

Looks like Renault May have been late to the party as well!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:11 pm 

Indeed weren't the first non horse drawn london cabs battery powered ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 pm 

Quote:
Checking in at a charging point at Rose Hill Community Centre, Mr Bajwa said: “We won’t need to spend much on fuel - previously it was £100 a week.

Well he wasn't doing many miles in his old London cab then.

I spend more than that and I have a supa dupa clean (if one can call it that) diesel engine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

I spend more than that and I have a supa dupa clean (if one can call it that) diesel engine.

must cost you a fortune in jetwash fees to keep it clean :-"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 pm 

edders23 wrote:
spending all that money at that age :shock:

Suspect he'll be anticipating retirement, and the son-in-law will probably end up with the plate long before the cab reaches end of its useful life, assuming he doesn't have interest in plate already.

Didn't I once read that Oxford plates were worth up to £100k? :shock:

So still possible that plate worth more than this £56k cab, but as seems to be happening elsewhere no doubt the new rules have knocked a fair chunk off plate values :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Call me cynical, but reminds me of back in 2008 when a London black cab driver called Steve McNamara claimed he was only using £50 worth of diesel per week (£2,500 per year, as he put it) :roll: In a London cab, in 2008 :shock:

And at that time fuel prices broadly similar to what they are today - according to the graphic on the BBC news page diesel was 132.9p per litre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7492981.stm

Wonder what happened to Mr McNamara? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm 

Quote:
Wonder what happened to Mr McNamara? :wink:

Did he join Uber? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: