Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:20 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
One of the Labour candidates has stood for election 5 times since 2007 and lost every time. I have beaten him 3 times in 4 years now. When do you think he will get the message that he is flogging a dead horse?

One of our customers was a labour candidates here; but only stood as a "paper" candidate to provide labour voters with someone to vote for maybe he does the same ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 pm 

grandad wrote:
My 21 year old running mate and I were both elected in the former Labour "safe" seat. We did lose 3 very experienced Councillors though. The new Council is 22 Tories, 1 Green and 5 independents.

Congratulations. =D>

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 pm 

I voted none of the above …………………. and so did 39.ooo others =D> =D> :D

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:47 pm 

MR T wrote:

well lucky you we had the option of tory,tory or corbynite :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:22 pm 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:
One of the Labour candidates has stood for election 5 times since 2007 and lost every time. I have beaten him 3 times in 4 years now. When do you think he will get the message that he is flogging a dead horse?

One of our customers was a labour candidates here; but only stood as a "paper" candidate to provide labour voters with someone to vote for maybe he does the same ?

No, he definately want to get elected. On one ward there were 3 seats available and all 3 of our candidates were sitting Councillors. The green party put up a paper candidate who didn't put out a leaflet and did no canvasing whatsoever. he came second! I wonder how committed he will be as a Councillor?
One of the Labour candidates turned up to the count in bovver boots and braces. If his hair had been a bit shorter you would have thought he was a 1970s skinhead.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:35 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:

No, he definately want to get elected. On one ward there were 3 seats available and all 3 of our candidates were sitting Councillors. The green party put up a paper candidate who didn't put out a leaflet and did no canvasing whatsoever. he came second! I wonder how committed he will be as a Councillor?
One of the Labour candidates turned up to the count in bovver boots and braces. If his hair had been a bit shorter you would have thought he was a 1970s skinhead.

Thought bovver boots and braces were the in fashion in your neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 pm 

Quote:
Thought bovver boots and braces were the in fashion in your neck of the woods.

Quite popular in my area too. Image

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:42 pm 

bovver boots ? whatever happened to doc martens ?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 pm 

MR T wrote:

Interesting. How do you know that 39,000 people voted "none of the above"? There is no specific box for that on the declaration.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

Interesting. How do you know that 39,000 people voted "none of the above"? There is no specific box for that on the declaration.

It was reported that 39000 cards were defaced as they say. …………………. n o t a

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 am 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

pointless exercise it would have been far better to put up a few candidates under say a "break the mould" banner for them to have voted for maybe a few would have ousted sitting councillors nor THAT would have been a worthwhile protest

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:22 pm 

"
Quote:
MR T"]I voted none of the above …………………. and so did 39.ooo others =D> =D> :D

Interesting. How do you know that 39,000 people voted "none of the above"? There is no specific box for that on the declaration.[/quote]
[/quote]

Quote:
pointless exercise it would have been far better to put up a few candidates under say a "break the mould" banner for them to have voted for maybe a few would have ousted sitting councillors nor THAT would have been a worthwhile protest
Everyone votes Labour here......

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:41 pm 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

I would say that it is impossible to give any accurate information regarding what was on a ballot paper when there is no official data collected.
At the count the ballot papers that are not correctly filled in are put in a separate tray and before the count is made the candidates and agents are asked to take a look at all the rejected papers to see if any of them are acceptable. in my count there was one paper where the voter had put a cross on the 2 Labour candidates and the first line of a cross on my name. To me this was clear enough that the voter intended to vote for the 2 Labour candidates and made a mistake by starting to put a cross on my name so this went through as a valid vote. the rest of the papers in the tray were rejected. Now we never had time to count how many were being rejected for any particular reason but most were because a voter had not actually voted for any candidate or had voted for more than they were allowed to vote for. But the fact is that they were not separated into different piles for different reasons. They were just counted together. So I fail to see how anyone could come up with the figure that you quote. It is just someones guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 am 

Quote:
I would say that it is impossible to give any accurate information regarding what was on a ballot paper when there is no official data collected.
At the count the ballot papers that are not correctly filled in are put in a separate tray and before the count is made the candidates and agents are asked to take a look at all the rejected papers to see if any of them are acceptable. in my count there was one paper where the voter had put a cross on the 2 Labour candidates and the first line of a cross on my name. To me this was clear enough that the voter intended to vote for the 2 Labour candidates and made a mistake by starting to put a cross on my name so this went through as a valid vote. the rest of the papers in the tray were rejected. Now we never had time to count how many were being rejected for any particular reason but most were because a voter had not actually voted for any candidate or had voted for more than they were allowed to vote for. But the fact is that they were not separated into different piles for different reasons. They were just counted together. So I fail to see how anyone could come up with the figure that you quote. It is just someones guess

Grandad, Over the years I have been involved in many things, local and national elections, and I know how they work and also know how important it is for people to vote, but I am not a great believer in voting for the best of a bad bunch. Now you might believe that 39,000 people are just plain stupid, but make the effort to go to their polling station, get their slip and don't know where to put the cross, whereas I tend to believe that they went and made a statement and by spoiling their voting paper they have said they are not voting for "any of the above". Our electoral system needs to be revamped. You could go one step further and assume that everyone who doesn't vote makes the same statement, and when you combine the figures, there are more people against than there are for.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 pm 

grandad wrote:
Well, I have got my nomination papers all signed up ready to go in so that I can stand for re-election on May 2nd.
I don't suppose any of you others are giving it a go?

They won't have me as I'm to outspoken, I fear it's no the cooncils way, Boat rockers need not apply :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next