Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:04 pm 

Taxi driver out of work for three weeks after vandals wrecked car by jumping on roof

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... r-16318167

Colin Brown has asked for any witnesses to go to the police after he was left three weeks without his car and his livelihood

Image: Northumbria Police/Chronicle Live

A taxi driver was left out of pocket for three weeks after vandals smashed up his cab and jumped on it.

Colin Brown, 54, has worked as a taxi driver in South Tyneside for the last two decades.

But he was recently forced to take an unwanted break from the job he loves after mindless criminals destroyed his cab while he was asleep in his Hebburn home.

Upon hearing the commotion and the smashing of glass on the street outside, a neighbour went out to investigate – and alerted Mr Brown that his car had been smashed and severely dented.

“This is my livelihood,” said the Express Taxis driver, who has urged for any witnesses to come forward and contact police.

“I’ve lived on Toner Avenue for three years and it’s a quiet street – nothing ever happens down here. Nobody can quite believe what happened.

“I’ve never had any issues with anybody, I love driving my cab and it’s hard to understand why I may have been targeted in this way.

"The damage was horrendous and I was left without a car and without income for three weeks.

“We’ve all got bills to pay, money going out – it was such a frustrating time.

"My mother was in hospital recovering from a brain tumour, so I had to find a way to see her without having a car.

“I don’t think those responsible understand how their actions can affect people.

"Thankfully, I’ve now been sorted out with a new cab and I’m back on the road - but I’d ask anyone who knows anything about what happened to contact police.”

Police were alerted shortly after 12.30am on April 30 and found the car’s windscreen had been smashed, along with four windows.

There was also substantial damage to the roof as the vandals dented the top of the car, jumping up and down on it, before fleeing the scene.

An investigation was launched to trace those responsible and Mr Brown’s Volkswagen was taken away for analysis by the force’s forensic experts.

Inspector Denise Easdon, of Northumbria Police, said: “This was a heartless act that has had a significant financial effect on the victim.

“Intentional acts of criminal damage such as this are totally unacceptable, and we are appealing to anybody who saw anything in the Toner Avenue area on the night in question to come forward.”

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:07 pm 

Quote:
Thankfully, I’ve now been sorted out with a new cab and I’m back on the road - but I’d ask anyone who knows anything about what happened to contact police.”

Not clear if the motor has been written off or what - car must be 2014/15 or so, or a bit newer - you wouldn't think even a big dent on the roof and smashed windows would write it off, but you never know :?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:08 pm 

Pleased the police appear to be taking this seriously.

Be even more pleased if they catch the scum that did it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:10 pm 

By the way, the full-sized photo shows that the motor is a B8 Passat, and I think very first of those appeared in 2014:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:29 pm 

Some of the comments left on the website say it all - of course, it's only a tiny majority that will actually vandalise a car because of [whatever], but the attitudes are more widespread.

Which incidentally is one reason I used to take my roofsign off the car at night when I lived in a particularly dodgy area (even though that might offend some on here) - didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to the car, whether in terms of this kind of vandalism, or attempted theft.

It's a bit like the kids etc throwing stuff at vehicles - they'll throw stuff at cabs and buses in a way they wouldn't throw it at ordinary motorists :?

Quote:
Insurance job?

Quote:
Probably cut someone up and gave them road rage, that’s what they do , taxis and buses think they own the roads !

Quote:
He looks like a thug.

I'll bet he speeds and parks on double yellow lines and doesn't indicate.

It's just karma.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:24 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
Quote:
Thankfully, I’ve now been sorted out with a new cab and I’m back on the road - but I’d ask anyone who knows anything about what happened to contact police.”

Not clear if the motor has been written off or what - car must be 2014/15 or so, or a bit newer - you wouldn't think even a big dent on the roof and smashed windows would write it off, but you never know :?

if the frame or the door pillars are bent it is beyond repair

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 am 

South Shields private hire taxi drivers targeted by window-smashing vandals in late-night attacks

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/cri ... -1-9794306

Callous vandals are believed to be targeting taxi drivers in South Shields after nine private hire cabs were damaged in late-night attacks.

Image: Shields Gazette

Drivers working in the Mowbray Road and Westoe areas of the town had their taxi windows smashed on Monday night, with police confirming they are investigating the incidents.

It follows incidents in November with the victims of this week’s vandalism believe to be linked.

Those affected say that it is private hire taxis that are being targeted rather than those belonging to firms.

It follows our story last week in which Colin Brown, 54, who has been a taxi driver for two decades, was left unable to work for three weeks after vandals smashed up his vehicle in the dead of night outside his Hebburn home.

Mr Brown’s mother was recovering from a brain tumour in hospital at the time and the damage made it difficult for him to visit her.

Officers from Northumbria Police have said the attacks “will not be tolerated” and say they are carrying out inquiries to find those responsible.

One driver who had his front and back windows smashed on Monday, but did not want to be named, told the Gazette: “This has been ongoing since last November now and it’s happening to five, six or seven taxis at a time.

“It’s putting drivers off the road and leaving them out of pocket as well.

“It’s not just the smashed windows but the glass that has gone into my seats that will have to be taken out.

“My taxi will probably be off the road until next Monday which means I’m losing money.

“Nothing has been taken from the cars just the windows smashed so it’s someone clearly trying to cause trouble.

“The first time this happened it was all Asian drivers, but this time it’s a mixture of people so I don’t see it as a racial attack.”

The driver added that a witness has reported seeing a man in dark clothing wearing a hooded top carrying out the vandalism.

He is also thought to have been on a bicycle at the time.

The driver, who has been working as a private hire driver for more than a decade in the South Shields area, added: “People might not realise that it’s affecting the public too.

“If someone is off the road then it’s harder for people to get taxis home from nights out and things.”

A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “We are aware of a number of incidents of criminal damage to vehicles in the South Shields area on Monday night.

“I would like to reassure residents that this behaviour will not be tolerated or welcome in our area and we are carrying out enquiries to find those responsible.”

Anyone with any information about the attacks is asked to contact police on 101 quoting reference 79 280519 or independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:02 am 

Quote:
Those affected say that it is private hire taxis that are being targeted rather than those belonging to firms.

:-s

Well if they are PHVs then maybe they should get the word 'taxi' removed from their roofsigns? [-X