Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
One local firm has gone down the route of plating vehicles PH in Rutland alongside their SKDC vehicles

They have bought a load of new top signs which are almost identical for both sets of vehicles except the word Private Hire on the Rutland licensed cars which are being used mostly on local bookings but are licensed to their "Rutland Office"

They have taken to parking these vehicles in parking bays opposite the rank when work not busy and I'm sure this will confuse punters especially at night

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:11 pm 

This really is an enforcement issue for you council.

Have you checked the other council's licensing conditions to see if they can have these kind of roof-lights?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:39 pm 

edders23 wrote:
They have taken to parking these vehicles in parking bays opposite the rank when work not busy and I'm sure this will confuse punters especially at night

Sounds like plying for hire if they're parking so close to the rank.

And even if the roof signs comply with the letter of the rules, suspect they would add to the case that the vehicles are plying for hire, because they'll make the cars look like they're available for immediate hire.

And also if they have similar-looking legitimate HCs then you could argue that this could confuse punters into thinking the PHVs parking near the rank are HCs plying for hire. Moreso if they have the trading name of the firm on both the HC and PHV roofsigns [-X

Any door signage etc would also add to the case, I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Have you checked the other council's licensing conditions to see if they can have these kind of roof-lights?

Rutland plated private hire have the option of having a roof light.
I have a meeting with the Rutland licensing officer in a couple of weeks because we are thinking of opening an office in Rutland. We already do quite a lot of work there. They insist that you have to have a physical office now so a virtual office is not allowed. They are looking into all the people who have licensed through them and checking that the office details are legit. If we go ahead they will come out to the Rutland office to see that things are as we say.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:49 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I have a meeting with the Rutland licensing officer in a couple of weeks because we are thinking of opening an office in Rutland. We already do quite a lot of work there. They insist that you have to have a physical office now so a virtual office is not allowed. They are looking into all the people who have licensed through them and checking that the office details are legit. If we go ahead they will come out to the Rutland office to see that things are as we say.

pukka office or an owners house? surely PH licensed there will need a OPS licence ther ?

once they are happy just divert the phones to Melton.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial- ... 28526.html

(BTW, Rutland cant stop you advertising.....)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:14 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

pukka office or an owners house? surely PH licensed there will need a OPS licence ther ?

once they are happy just divert the phones to Melton.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial- ... 28526.html

(BTW, Rutland cant stop you advertising.....)

We are looking at an office within a business park owned by Rutland County Council.
The office will be there so that Rutland can come out and inspect records and so that there is a physical address where letters can be sent.
They are aware that in this day and age that the office will not always be manned and that call could be diverted to the Melton office.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 pm 

grandad wrote:
We are looking at an office within a business park owned by Rutland County Council.
The office will be there so that Rutland can come out and inspect records and so that there is a physical address where letters can be sent.
They are aware that in this day and age that the office will not always be manned and that call could be diverted to the Melton office.

Humour me...

So you have MM plated hacks and want a Rutland ops centre?

Will you be plating/badging cars/drivers in Rutland?

as for inspecting records, following the recent court case (was it Milton Keynes) 2 firms in different licensing areas may use 1 despatch systems?

these are interesting days

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:31 am 

the days of national call centres controlling huge fleets scattered all across the Uk are just around the corner I can quite see there being easy hire or virgin taxis or Delta National hire operating as a national company within 5 years

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:29 pm 

edders23 wrote:
the days of national call centres controlling huge fleets scattered all across the Uk are just around the corner I can quite see there being easy hire or virgin taxis or Delta National hire operating as a national company within 5 years

I'm not so sure.

Yes we have the apps firms kind of doing that, but I think the big boys will be put off by the self employed/employed issues.

I also think once, and yes it is a big f*** off once, Brexit is sorted, all the political parties will look to sort the cross border issue out.

It's also worth noting that nowhere in the world is there a taxi company that control whole countries. Or if there is they are very few and far between.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 am 

well one of them (with the dented boot) is now renting a room in the old vic pub which is these days a HMO but parking his vehicle on the pavement outside instead of the car park and yesterday it had a lovely car parking ticket on it :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

Humour me...

So you have MM plated hacks and want a Rutland ops centre?

Will you be plating/badging cars/drivers in Rutland?

as for inspecting records, following the recent court case (was it Milton Keynes) 2 firms in different licensing areas may use 1 despatch systems?

these are interesting days

We may be changing our Melton plated hacks to private hire. we already have 2 PH.
It is our intention to plate cars and drivers in Rutland as well as Merlton.
Melton licensing is a joke at the moment. one driver has been without a valid DBS for over a year because the licensing officer who deals with the DBS has filled the form in wrong on so many occasions it is unreal. This has happened to numerous drivers and prospective drivers over the past 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 pm 

Quote:
Melton licensing is a joke at the moment. one driver has been without a valid DBS for over a year because the licensing officer who deals with the DBS has filled the form in wrong on so many occasions it is unreal. This has happened to numerous drivers and prospective drivers over the past 3 years

Surely a case for the Local Government Ombudsman.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:03 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
Melton licensing is a joke at the moment. one driver has been without a valid DBS for over a year because the licensing officer who deals with the DBS has filled the form in wrong on so many occasions it is unreal. This has happened to numerous drivers and prospective drivers over the past 3 years

Surely a case for the Local Government Ombudsman.

yes but licensing in Rutland is a cheap rubber stamp exorcize that's why many local are looking at it and quite frankly I think Pete is probably doing the right thing once more Rutland plated vehicles are working than SKDC or Melton maybe the councils will realise they can't keep charging whatever they like