Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:01 pm 

Mum furious over £80 Uber fee after son's friend vomited in back seat

A mum was "livid" over being charged £80 after her son's friend was sick in the back of an Uber taxi. Sandra Hinken says her son's Uber app is linked to her bank account because he's out of work at the moment.

The mum-of-two was debited with the fee on top of the £23.19 fare for his journey home from his night out in Erdington, Birmingham.

Karl, 26, was out celebrating a friend's 31st birthday at a pub on Saturday May 11. Sandra says his friend was sick outside but a "little bit went on the edge of the taxi ". The following morning, Sandra was debited £80 for the mess to be cleaned up, Birmingham Live reports.

Uber says their service is based on mutual respect and any damage or mess can mean drivers are unable to continue working.

"I'm livid, it's not on," she explained. "Money was taken out immediately. "I had a text message come through from my bank on the Sunday saying I had only £1 left. "The fare was £23.19 so that's a total charge of more than £100. My son's got my bank details on the Uber app, he's out of work at the moment.

"He was at the Red Lion celebrating a friend's birthday. The friend was sick and a little bit went on the edge of the taxi. "You know what it's like when people keep getting you drinks. "He doesn't normally drink either, which didn't help. "Karl got home about 1.30am on Sunday."

Sandra, aged 59 and from Yardley, said she had asked Uber to refund the £80 clean-up fee. "I've constantly been on the phone to them," she said. "The company has been cagey to say the least, I keep being told to contact the support service which is like a messaging conversation online.

"We've been sending messages back and forth. "It has refused to send a receipt used to pay for the clean-up of the car. "It's not fair and I think it's wrong. "Karl's mate said he would pay us back but he hasn't got any money until this weekend."

Sandra added: "I'm deleting the account obviously because I'm not going to use them again."

A spokesman for Uber UK said: "The Uber app is based on mutual respect for both riders and drivers."For licensed drivers who use the app, their vehicles are their place of work and any damage or mess can mean they are unable to continue working.

"When a driver claims a cleaning fee, they are required to provide us with the details of the trip, the passengers and the incident itself as well as photographic evidence and a validated cleaning receipt which our support team then investigates."

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:04 pm 

Quote:
"You know what it's like when people keep getting you drinks.

Our trade is well aware of what it's like.

Folks get drunk, they then spew up in our cars. That's what it's f***ing like.

Not many things I think Uber do right, but the £80 cost is one of them.

And it's not just the cost of actually cleaning it up, it's the time off the road whilst you are doing it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:32 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
here we go again mum thinks son should be lot off the consequences of his actions :roll:

so in an incident here in Stamford last week 4 kids totally destroyed a terminal cancer patients life work but mum of one of them made him write a letter of apology so thinks that's alright then he can be let off with just a warning :roll:

sorry but whether your 15,26 or 50 you should still take responsibility for your actions so no it's not unfair

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:01 am 

So the son has no money because he’s out of work but still manages to have a good night out and his friend has no money (until the weekend!) but he manages to get smashed ??
Meanwhile, I’m taking all the muppets home from Chester races!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 am 

x-ray wrote:
So the son has no money because he’s out of work but still manages to have a good night out and his friend has no money (until the weekend!) but he manages to get smashed ??
Meanwhile, I’m taking all the muppets home from Chester races!!
you beat me to it on those thoughts!