Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:13 pm 

Taxi driver says he 'can't do his job properly' after 'ridiculous' parking tariff change at East Midlands Airport

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/loc ... ob-2891646

An East Midlands Airport spokesman has said the decision to change the tariff is to reduce the congestion that builds due to drivers spending more than five minutes at the drop-off point

Image: Nottingham Post

A taxi driver has spoken out against what he has described as the "absolutely ridiculous" decision to change the parking tariff at East Midlands Airport's rapid drop-off point.

On Monday, May 20, the airport changed the fee from 10 minutes for £2 to five minutes for £2.

Drivers are then charged an additional £1 per minute after the five minutes has passed.

An East Midlands Airport spokesman has said the decision to change the tariff is to reduce the congestion that builds due to drivers spending more than five minutes at the drop-off point, which is right outside the airport's arrivals and departures entrances.

But Tony Parkinson, 44, of Bilborough, who has been driving taxis for 23 years, now feels he can't do his job "properly" due to having to rush customers to avoid "extortionate" fees.

The taxi driver who works for a private firm, regularly does airport runs up and down the country and claims his colleagues and members of the public will be left out of pocket by the decision.

He said: "It's an absolutely ridiculous decision that they can't warrant.

"There was no forewarning for it. I did a drop off on Sunday night when it was £2 for 10 minutes and then on Monday day it was £2 for five minutes.

"I pride myself on my customer service. I feel like I'm not able to do my job properly now and have to rush people out the taxi and to the door so I don't get charged extortionately. It's just a money-making scheme.

"If there's a customer with a wheelchair who needs a bit of support, it will take me more than five minutes to help them out the car and to the departure door.

"It's completely unfair to the general public as well who might be in similar situations dropping family or friends off.

"There's free parking for an hour in one of the car parks but it's so far away from the drop-off point and would not suit my job. You either have to get a bus or face a long walk."

Andy Tyler Smith, East Midlands Airport’s customer services and security director, said: “Passengers being dropped off at the forecourt are subject to a charge. This is designed to reduce traffic congestion at the airport and surrounding roads, making the site safer, while encouraging increased use of alternative, more sustainable transport options.

"The rapid drop off parking provides the most convenient access to the airport’s terminal. Over 80 percent of current users are in and out of rapid drop off in less than five minutes.

"Reducing the 10 minute wait to five minutes will continue to improve the effectiveness of this facility allowing more vehicles to get in and out quicker.

“Drivers who wish to wait longer can park free of charge for one hour in 'Long Stay 2' which is situated near the airport bus stop at the west side of the airport site.

"A frequent, free bus service takes passengers to and from the main terminal entrance within 5 minutes or, by foot, it’s a 15 minute walk.

"Vehicles carrying disabled passengers who have a Blue Badge can park free of charge for 30 minutes in 'Short Stay 1', the closest car park to the both departures and arrivals.”

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm 

Quote:
Andy Tyler Smith, East Midlands Airport’s customer services and security director, said: “Passengers being dropped off at the forecourt are subject to a charge. This is designed to reduce traffic congestion at the airport and surrounding roads, making the site safer, while encouraging increased use of alternative, more sustainable transport options.

What a load of old fanny.

It's about increasing revenue, nothing to do with pollution and traffic.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 pm 

Certainly stretches credulity to have an *airport* representative wittering on about "encouraging increased use of alternative, more sustainable transport options".

Flying is the polluting form of transport, surely?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
three out of the last 4 drop offs at EMA you simply could not get out in under 5 minutes due to only One out of 2 machines working and a big queue as people fanny about trying to pay by card :roll:

If they want to start this ridiculous system they need to increase the number of exit lanes to 3 or 4 and get rid of the traffic island that necessitates a sharp turn just before the machines to exit from the opposite side if the one your side is broken

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Certainly stretches credulity to have an *airport* representative wittering on about "encouraging increased use of alternative, more sustainable transport options".

Flying is the polluting form of transport, surely?

they are bidding for a very large sum of cash to extend the Nottingham tramway system to the airport. I suspect that has more than a bit to do with the comments

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:56 pm 

I go to EMA quite regularly ,I can see this causing caos and anger at busy times,old doodderers are going to struggle.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:00 pm 

Doncaster/Sheffield has increased the pick up/drop off fee from £2 to £3.its going to be the short stay car park from now on using the 15 minutes free parking.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:15 pm 

Stansted is now £4.00 as well

funny how all the airports owned by the same company are pushing drop off charges sky high :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:05 pm 

I'm amazed that to drop off at Gatwick and Heathrow is still £0.

And pick up is also £0 if you get punters to wait exactly where you drop them and call you from there.

Two minutes from MacDonalds/KFC. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I'm amazed that to drop off at Gatwick and Heathrow is still £0.

And pick up is also £0 if you get punters to wait exactly where you drop them and call you from there.

Two minutes from MacDonalds/KFC. :D

Did one the other week at T4, parked in the Esso Garage, got a coffee and some fuel and waited for the phone call to say they were in the terminal waiting for their bags. Straight in no probs and out no probs.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 pm 

Quote:
Did one the other week at T4, parked in the Esso Garage, got a coffee and some fuel and waited for the phone call to say they were in the terminal waiting for their bags. Straight in no probs and out no probs.

And the owners of that petrol station are happy for you to wait there. :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

And the owners of that petrol station are happy for you to wait there. :shock: :shock: :shock:

there's always loads in there all having a long coffee break :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Yup as long as you go in a spend a few quid or fuel up they're cool with you waiting.....never had a problem in the Esso garage.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:00 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Taxi driver says he 'can't do his job properly' after 'ridiculous' parking tariff change at East Midlands Airport

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/loc ... ob-2891646

An East Midlands Airport spokesman has said the decision to change the tariff is to reduce the congestion that builds due to drivers spending more than five minutes at the drop-off point

A taxi driver has spoken out against what he has described as the "absolutely ridiculous" decision to change the parking tariff at East Midlands Airport's rapid drop-off point.

On Monday, May 20, the airport changed the fee from 10 minutes for £2 to five minutes for £2.

Drivers are then charged an additional £1 per minute after the five minutes has passed.

An East Midlands Airport spokesman has said the decision to change the tariff is to reduce the congestion that builds due to drivers spending more than five minutes at the drop-off point, which is right outside the airport's arrivals and departures entrances.

But Tony Parkinson, 44, of Bilborough, who has been driving taxis for 23 years, now feels he can't do his job "properly" due to having to rush customers to avoid "extortionate" fees.

The taxi driver who works for a private firm, regularly does airport runs up and down the country and claims his colleagues and members of the public will be left out of pocket by the decision.

He said: "It's an absolutely ridiculous decision that they can't warrant.

"There was no forewarning for it. I did a drop off on Sunday night when it was £2 for 10 minutes and then on Monday day it was £2 for five minutes.

"I pride myself on my customer service. I feel like I'm not able to do my job properly now and have to rush people out the taxi and to the door so I don't get charged extortionately. It's just a money-making scheme.

"If there's a customer with a wheelchair who needs a bit of support, it will take me more than five minutes to help them out the car and to the departure door.

"It's completely unfair to the general public as well who might be in similar situations dropping family or friends off.

"There's free parking for an hour in one of the car parks but it's so far away from the drop-off point and would not suit my job. You either have to get a bus or face a long walk."

"The rapid drop off parking provides the most convenient access to the airport’s terminal. Over 80 percent of current users are in and out of rapid drop off in less than five minutes.

"Reducing the 10 minute wait to five minutes will continue to improve the effectiveness of this facility allowing more vehicles to get in and out quicker.

“Drivers who wish to wait longer can park free of charge for one hour in 'Long Stay 2' which is situated near the airport bus stop at the west side of the airport site.

"A frequent, free bus service takes passengers to and from the main terminal entrance within 5 minutes or, by foot, it’s a 15 minute walk.

"Vehicles carrying disabled passengers who have a Blue Badge can park free of charge for 30 minutes in 'Short Stay 1', the closest car park to the both departures and arrivals.”

Save all the hassle of queuing at EMA, go past where the cars come out of the rapid drop off and just on the right is a little layby, I drop off in there, it's closer to the terminal doors.